Where do you rank Calhoun.. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Where do you rank Calhoun..

3 coaches that shouldn't be considered are Wooden, K, and Calhoun.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Let's not forget Knight's people skills left something to be desired, Rupp may have been a racist and Dean Smith's politics swung pretty far to the left. ;) Damn, they're dropping like flies.

Thompson vs. Boeheim is kind of like debating Mattingly vs. somebody like Jack Morris for the Hall of Fame. One guy put up great numbers but didn't win championships, and the other guy won championships, but didn't last as long as some other guys. Thompson mostly owned Boeheim head to head, especially in the Big East tournament.
you realize they both won 1 NC,, right .

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

You don't think th e health is playing a large role in why Calhoun is retiring? I bet the health is 95% of the reason he's retiring.
I think health is a factor, but not 95%. I wouldn't be shocked if JC had actually had decided to retire prior to his latest accident. I think he thought about retiring in this time frame all along. I think the accident made his desired outcome (who wants to coach that mess) a lot easier.

If UConn had the talent like they had coming back last year, I think his decision may have been different.

I understand JC has 3 NCs to JBs 1. But if you allow for factors other than that, the scales tip rather quickly.

obviously, reasonable people can disagree. I have JC #1, and JB a reasonably close #2. JB has one Big East season left . . . another BE title and a run to the Final Four and I will elevate him.

Let's not forget Knight's people skills left something to be desired, Rupp may have been a racist and Dean Smith's politics swung pretty far to the left. ;) Damn, they're dropping like flies.

Knight is the best ever.

I really don't see Knight as being better than K. K has 4 titles. And will have more wins. And to Matt's point about JT, did he ever go to a final four without Ewing?

I really don't see Knight as being better than K. K has 4 titles. And will have more wins. And to Matt's point about JT, did he ever go to a final four without Ewing?

Yeah, definitely give me K over Knight. K's resume is really unbelievable.

Knight is the best ever.

Great coach, teacher, motivator and competitor. Chronic, remorseless bully.

This thread is based on our opinions, and I don't think any one of us as fans want to diminish our own coach, he has been great. His importance to the university is just as important as JC to Uconn, but, if I had to rank him now, id give him the edge over JB. I say this with honesty, but at the same time it turns my stomach,especially since my hatred of Uconn has grown more than my hatred for gtown. To realize how hard it is to not only get your team to a championship game but to win it all, its an incredible feat, esp when you consider we've had some really great teams that couldn't get past the sweet 16.

Some might say he's bailing on this team, I don't know if I agree with that. I kind of think had he not kept experiencing health issues after health issue that, he would be coaching for as long as JB. But, hey that's life.

After watching his press conference though, one thing hit me, that should be hitting us all, we are next. We too will be entering the new era of the unknown in Syracuse basketball, and we have to hope just like Uconn that the new coach is the answer and that we dont fall from being a top program to an afterthought. The end of an era in basketball is fast approaching. Syracuse and Uconn have been fortunate to be the teams reaping the benefits of having the Jim's as coaches.

obviously, reasonable people can disagree. I have JC #1, and JB a reasonably close #2. JB has one Big East season left . . . another BE title and a run to the Final Four and I will elevate him.
A couple of more NCs out of JB and there is no doubt. I don't care when they come.

That fluke NC out of UConn in '09 did wonders for JC. Of course, JBs fluke '96 did wonders for him. Now SU/JB just need to add one from the upper, elite team level to help solidify this new era and level.

Years from now the UConn/SU rivalry may be looked back at in the same vein as the SU/St Johns way.

Except my prior post eliminated Wooden, K, and Calhoun.

I got calhoun 3rd and jb a distant 4th behind mike jarvis and bobby gonzalez.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

JC's Big East Win % - 0.584

JB's Big East Win % - 0.654

Except my prior post eliminated Wooden, K, and Calhoun.

I know you did. I obviously disagreed. Oh, and by the way, don't take this too hard but Mau is upset with us over on the UConn board. He called us names. Coming from a guy as smart as mau, I think you know how much that hurts.

In honor of this thread I have the 6ot game running in the background and I think I'm going to follow it up with the 2006 BET game.

I know you did. I obviously disagreed. Oh, and by the way, don't take this too hard but Mau is upset with us over on the UConn board. He called us names. Coming from a guy as smart as mau, I think you know how much that hurts.

Yea, someone pointed that out to me last night. We should feel honored.

you realize they both won 1 NC,, right .

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, and how many Big East championships did each coach win?

Yea, someone pointed that out to me last night. We should feel honored.

I'm sorry but on a day their coach quits, ND leaves their conference and Swofford says no 16th team, he comes over here to name call us?? Really? Two ships passing each other in the night.

JC's Big East Win % - 0.584

JB's Big East Win % - 0.654

Count Big East regular season and conference tournament championships for Thompson, Calhoun and Boeheim. I think Boeheim comes in third.

Yeah, and how many Big East championships did each coach win?
Matt, Big john was fortunate to coach at a time when player stayed 4 years and he had his star at that time. Looking at both of their resumes, I would take JB. Plus, JB is still in the game. More to come.

Count Big East regular season and conference tournament championships for Thompson, Calhoun and Boeheim. I think Boeheim comes in third.
JB is 2nd JT is 3rd

Two ships passing each other in the night.

More like a ship and a rowboat without a paddle.

Matt, Big john was fortunate to coach at a time when player stayed 4 years and he had his star at that time. Looking at both of their resumes, I would take JB. Plus, JB is still in the game. More to come.

Dasher, it's not about who's a better coach today, or whose career necessarily lasted longer. A coach's success is measured in trophies / accomplishments. Boeheim has become a better coach over time, and has been remarkably consistent, but the fact is, we've won fewer championships than our peers. You can't argue with that. By any objective measure, that puts him behind.

And he parlayed those players into multiple Final Fours and championships in the Big East. We were usually Cinderella. They beat us very consistently. I don't think we won nearly as many Big East titles as our talent would have warranted over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom