Where does Eric Dungey rank all-time among Syracuse football QBs? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Where does Eric Dungey rank all-time among Syracuse football QBs?

1. Joe Fields
2. Drew Allen
3. Troy Nunes
4. That one kid who got sacked into oblivion under GERRRG
5. The kid who was so bad his grandmother had to make a handle to defend him in this very message board.

OMG, Andrew Robinson! I had somehow forgotten about him until you raised #4. Poor kid. Talk about being thrown to the wolves.

As I think about it, probably a reason I'd forgotten about him. Some sort of psychologic repression of the entire Gerg era.

I've said this before, and I know everyone thinks it's because of what he had around him, but Graves is higher to me. Runner, passer, 4 years never missed a start, bowl game hero. 3-0, and they weren't easy bowl opponents.

I just can't imagine having him behind Nassib or even Dungey. But at least with the latter, I can certainly understand why freshest gets thought of higher.

It's because they really blew it his senior year. The team didn't work hard in the off-season and wound up something like 6-4-1, off the top of my head, when they had been pre-season Top 10, coming off a couple great seasons.

Kind of like how Billy Owens is not on the Mount Rushmore of SU Hoops because his last team was a flop in the post-season, and failed to make that lasting memory.

No love for Dave Sarette??

Who was the kid who had the great arm but was so unpopular with his teammates and transferred out? Was that Bill Schaar?

It's because they really blew it his senior year. The team didn't work hard in the off-season and wound up something like 6-4-1, off the top of my head, when they had been pre-season Top 10, coming off a couple great seasons.

Kind of like how Billy Owens is not on the Mount Rushmore of SU Hoops because his last team was a flop in the post-season, and failed to make that lasting memory.

Losing Conley killed 93. Never really knew why were ended up so thin at inside LB, but we had freshman safeties playing there.

We couldn’t run the ball either. So everything ended up on Graves’ shoulders. OL struggled to protect him. It was an unfortunate final year of a great career.

Last edited:
Losing Conley killed 93. Never really knew why were ended up so thin at inside LB, but we had freshman safeties playing there.

We couldn’t run the ball either. So everything ended up on Graves’ shoulders. OL struggled to protect him. It was an unfortunate final year of a great career.

93 was rough and after finally getting a high preseason ranking too.

Throwing stats out the window:
  1. McPherson
  2. McNabb
  3. Dungey
  4. Hurley
  5. Graves

Throwing stats out the window:
  1. McPherson
  2. McNabb
  3. Dungey
  4. Hurley
  5. Graves

Sorry. Donnie Mac had one great year.
McNabb's teams may have underachieved due to Pasqualoni brain farts, but he was our best QB. I would put Graves second. If it wasn't for his disappointing senior year, he would be remembered a lot better than he is. I think Dungey and Hurley actually have a lot in common, although Dungey took it to another level with his whole Mortal Combat Street Fighter persona in games.

Back to back losses in October to Miami and West Virginia by over 40 points, getting shut out in both games. Until that point, we were 4-1-1 and still ranked, or close to it. Then we just laid down and quit.

We also lost to Virginia Tech late that season. We used to own them in the early days of the Big East. This might have been one of the first times they ever beat us. That team just seemed to quit.

They had Graves, Shelby Hill, Marvin Harrison, Terry Richardson and Kirby Dar Dar on that team on offense. They scored 25 points a game but averaged giving up 26.

Back to back losses in October to Miami and West Virginia by over 40 points, getting shut out in both games. Until that point, we were 4-1-1 and still ranked, or close to it. Then we just laid down and quit.

We also lost to Virginia Tech late that season. We used to own them in the early days of the Big East. This might have been one of the first times they ever beat us. That team just seemed to quit.

They had Graves, Shelby Hill, Marvin Harrison, Terry Richardson and Kirby Dar Dar on that team on offense. They scored 25 points a game but averaged giving up 26.

I can not imagine what Babers would do with a Harrison but I do know it wouldn't be 25 points a game.

We walked across the Dome in the 3rd quarter to see some friends in that WV game...boy did that get ugly fast after a close halftime score.

Well, it was only the 2nd year of the Big East. We beat them in the Dome in 92, they beat us in Lane in 93, and so the story would go until we flipped scripts in 2000 and 2001.

1993 was the year that program took off, and they rarely looked back. It was the start of the bowl streak that they just barely kept alive this year.

That team realized they couldn't stop anyone and they couldn't run the ball, so yeah, they kind of became helpless. Harrison and Dar Dar didn't really break out until 94.

That year certainly isn't in my Favorite WVU Rivalry moments. They beat us 43-0 and downed the ball on our 1 yard line to end the game. I think it was only 7-0 at halftime.

Well, it was only the 2nd year of the Big East. We beat them in the Dome in 92, they beat us in Lane in 93, and so the story would go until we flipped scripts in 2000 and 2001.

1993 was the year that program took off, and they rarely looked back. It was the start of the bowl streak that they just barely kept alive this year.

That team realized they couldn't stop anyone and they couldn't run the ball, so yeah, they kind of became helpless. Harrison and Dar Dar didn't really break out until 94.

That year certainly isn't in my Favorite WVU Rivalry moments. They beat us 43-0 and downed the ball on our 1 yard line to end the game. I think it was only 7-0 at halftime.

I guess I'm not remembering our history with Va Tech accurately, but it always seemed to me that the Big East made them, in part at our expense. They were the UConn of the football side.

Sorry. Donnie Mac had one great year.
McNabb's teams may have underachieved due to Pasqualoni brain farts, but he was our best QB. I would put Graves second. If it wasn't for his disappointing senior year, he would be remembered a lot better than he is. I think Dungey and Hurley actually have a lot in common, although Dungey took it to another level with his whole Mortal Combat Street Fighter persona in games.
I'm going to stand up for Donnie Mac...I'm not saying he had McNabb's stats but I think people are forgetting that Donnie Mac was SU's leading rusher his So and JR years while throwing 12/7 and 12/5 TD/INT as a primarily option QB. They were different as was Marvin. Loved all 3 but my personal preference is Donnie Mac. And just for kicks...Donnie Mac threw 46 TD's combined his So, JR and SR years, the exact same number that Eric Dungey did in a vastly different era and offense. Obviously Dungey missed some time but he did still manage to throw 1,075 passes compared to Donnie Mac's 657. Can't wait to see if TD Tommy forces his way into the discussion over the next few years.

I'm going to stand up for Donnie Mac...I'm not saying he had McNabb's stats but I think people are forgetting that Donnie Mac was SU's leading rusher his So and JR years while throwing 12/7 and 12/5 TD/INT as a primarily option QB. They were different as was Marvin. Loved all 3 but my personal preference is Donnie Mac. And just for kicks...Donnie Mac threw 46 TD's combined his So, JR and SR years, the exact same number that Eric Dungey did in a vastly different era and offense. Obviously Dungey missed some time but he did still manage to throw 1,075 passes compared to Donnie Mac's 657. Can't wait to see if TD Tommy forces his way into the discussion over the next few years.

Strong defense for Donnie Mac. Kudos. He was a great leader on one of our all time best teams. He is a legend, a class act, and a good broadcaster. Great representative of the University.