Where should SU concentrate their recruiting efforts | Syracusefan.com

Where should SU concentrate their recruiting efforts

General Joe

2nd String
I think we have raised our profile enough to really start battling for the top NY and NJ kids. Clemson win last year and great win this year. Even that ND game seen on National tv was a big deal for NY city recruits. Steal a bowl game in 2 weeks and we have a great story to tell about the rise of the once mighty Syracuse football team. The one thingvi like about Dr Gross was his branding of us as NY's college team. Time to start attacking the NE as hard as we recruit S Florida. Penn St free reign to pick over the best Mid Atlantic players has come to a end. Lets GO Orange!!!!!

I think we have raised our profile enough to really start battling for the top NY and NJ kids. Clemson win last year and great win this year. Even that ND game seen on National tv was a big deal for NY city recruits. Steal a bowl game in 2 weeks and we have a great story to tell about the rise of the once mighty Syracuse football team. The one thingvi like about Dr Gross was his branding of us as NY's college team. Time to start attacking the NE as hard as we recruit S Florida. Penn St free reign to pick over the best Mid Atlantic players has come to a end. Lets GO Orange!!!!!
Meh. We could be Syracuse America and Canadas' College team. Honestly I don't care where the kids come from as long as they can play.

CFB has changed, like 10 years ago. There’s zero reason to hit the northeast hard and lock up NY recruits. NY recruits are going to play in other states, for other schools, just like kids from Florida come and play at Syracuse. Moving resources to recruit the northeast harder at the expense of Florida and other southern states is the worst possible thing the stafff could do. Which is why they won’t do it lol.

Agreed!! Let me say it a different way. Its time to go up market and start recruiting 4 and 5 star players as the norm not the exception. Last year we had 3 guys ranked 4star by one or more of the big houses Trill, Qadir and Ed Hendrix. This year we have 2 so far Jones and Kpogba. Next year it would be nice to take the next step and sign 4 or 5 4+ star kids. I know stars dont translate 100% of the time but it is indicative of past performance in High school and more often than not improves overall talent over time. Time for us to step up to the big leagues

CFB has changed, like 10 years ago. There’s zero reason to hit the northeast hard and lock up NY recruits. NY recruits are going to play in other states, for other schools, just like kids from Florida come and play at Syracuse. Moving resources to recruit the northeast harder at the expense of Florida and other southern states is the worst possible thing the stafff could do. Which is why they won’t do it lol.
Have you looked at the talent out of the NE and Mid Atlantic???????? You cant have a monopoly but wouldn't it be great to have a actual recruiting footprint. BTW the lack of a footprint in part is why SOME of the people on this very thread complained about possibly losing Adisa because his coach is in Penn St's footprint (wheelhouse, program) whatever you want to call it.

So that this doesn't turn into another all day argument as i have seen on this forum i am simply saying if we are recruting a 2star from a school in NE or Mid Atlantic i wish we recruited tge 4 and 5 stars on his same team. Thats all I'm saying guys

You do know it is cheaper to recruit closer to the school right?

It probably costs 1/8th as much to recruit NY/NJ/PA than it does to recruit almost anywhere else.

Have you looked at the talent out of the NE and Mid Atlantic???????? You cant have a monopoly but wouldn't it be great to have a actual recruiting footprint. BTW the lack of a footprint in part is why SOME of the people on this very thread complained about possibly losing Adisa because his coach is in Penn St's footprint (wheelhouse, program) whatever you want to call it.

So that this doesn't turn into another all day argument as i have seen on this forum i am simply saying if we are recruting a 2star from a school in NE or Mid Atlantic i wish we recruited tge 4 and 5 stars on his same team. Thats all I'm saying guys

Mid Atlantic I absolutely agree with. That should be our bread and butter along with Florida.

I don’t personally care that Adisa has seemingly picked PSU. I don’t see that as saying anything at all about SU. Players choose their schools for a ton of different reasons. We trying to rationalize on this board why so and so player should come to SU. We aren’t the ones making the decision.

Adisa likes PSU for whatever reason. It is what it is. I don’t personally understand going to a child molestor school with a sexual assault cover up coach. But hey, that’s just my personal feelings.

You do know it is cheaper to recruit closer to the school right?

It probably costs 1/8th as much to recruit NY/NJ/PA than it does to recruit almost anywhere else.

1/8th... stop. You’re just making up numbers.

Consider, that in Florida alone. The trip down there might include visiting 5-6 different schools with 20-30 different players the staff might have some level of interest in and are at different graduation years. That cheap visit to Massachusetts is to visit one player at a school that has no other players SU is interested in.

That’s just one aspect I’m pointing out. I could write 5 more paragraphs.

1/8th... stop. You’re just making up numbers.

Consider, that in Florida alone. The trip down there might include visiting 5-6 different schools with 20-30 different players the staff might have some level of interest in and are at different graduation years. That cheap visit to Massachusetts is to visit one player at a school that has no other players SU is interested in.

That’s just one aspect I’m pointing out. I could write 5 more paragraphs.
Its not an either or proposition. We need to recruit both the NE, through the SE down to Florida. Its all of the above. We initially got some recruits through the midwest because D.Babers and his staff had knowledge and experience from his E.Illinois/Bowling Green days. We don't really recruit nationally, we'll take a few from West Coast that are interested in us but not in any concentrated way. Way too expensive for the cost/benefit analysis. Just like J.Jordan or S.Hill back in the day.
We'll have to fight our way back into alot of HS now that we are turning the corner. It will take time. But the footprint of the ACC will be SU's recruiting territory. Proximity has its advantages but we are not going to change perception overnight with one 9-3 season. It will take time and it will take effort.

I would concentrate my efforts on the geographic regions that produce the most nfl talent per capita, and the high schools that produce the most top end talent within the footprint of the ACC.

I would also still focus my efforts on kids within a reasonable driving radius. It cannot be understated. Flying is really expensive for parents and especially for the parents within a certain socio economic class that many of the kids come from. Parents want to see their kids play and flying is cost prohibitive for many.

Last edited:
Increasing resources is needed more than concentrating them. You concentrate in todays environment means you lose.

Increasing resources is needed more than concentrating them. You concentrate in todays environment means you lose.

You can’t increase the number of coaches on the road, so the way I see it if you spread yourself to thin you lose. There’s really no point in spending a million dollars either to recruit California to ‘maybe’ get one kid.

I’m fine with them recruiting the whole US and Canada. Go get the best kids we can get that are the best for our system.
I love what we have been doing in FL as well as the NY/NJ/PA/MD region as well.
Keep that Spiral Graph going!!!!

You can’t increase the number of coaches on the road, so the way I see it if you spread yourself to thin you lose. There’s really no point in spending a million dollars either to recruit California to ‘maybe’ get one kid.
But truly what is the cost? Until the senior year of HS there is no off campus face to face contact allowed unless it is a camp the coaches participate at that is run by another school. For prospects to be "seen" they have to send in hudl video, attend a jr day, spring game or camp on campus. And coaches aren't going to be traveling all over the country to evaluate kids unless they determine the kid meets a need or has talent. Plus the same areas don't produce the same talent every year. That's why there is a recruiting department to make the determination where coaches should spend their time and resources.

I think recruiting has become so fluid and so national, that the prototypical recruiting methods have fallen a bit.

Ofcourse there’s something to be said for relationships in core recruiting areas. And, you want some local kids too.

But, with the way information travels now and how interconnected everyone is via Social Media, distance from home has become much less of a factor in recruitment. Parents say in this factor is much larger than kids. D3 teams pull in kids from across the country.

I think the bigger problem is keeping them through 1st semester homesickness.

Texas. Just go all in on Texas. Pretty soon Syracuse is going to become Texas' 21st city...right there behind Mesquite. We're going to have kids walking across the quad in cowboy boots and ten gallon hats saying 'howdy' and 'y'all'. Ted Cruz is going to be our Senator. Texas. Texas is the answer. How to make Syracuse Football great again? Two words: Crootin' (is that even a word?!) Texas.

Every place the coaches feel there is a recruit that the coaches want.

But truly what is the cost? Until the senior year of HS there is no off campus face to face contact allowed unless it is a camp the coaches participate at that is run by another school. For prospects to be "seen" they have to send in hudl video, attend a jr day, spring game or camp on campus. And coaches aren't going to be traveling all over the country to evaluate kids unless they determine the kid meets a need or has talent. Plus the same areas don't produce the same talent every year. That's why there is a recruiting department to make the determination where coaches should spend their time and resources.

Whatever the cost the investment is better spent in Florida than California. So no recruiting nationally to Californiamis not a good strategy.

The same geographic regions pretty much do produce the same talent every year.

Whatever the cost the investment is better spent in Florida than California. So no recruiting nationally to Californiamis not a good strategy.

The same geographic regions pretty much do produce the same talent every year.
Let me rephrase that to the talent that the coaches are looking for to feel needs isn't always in the same geographic location each year. This year there was a definite shift to recruiting NC/SC. The area of emphasis changes from year to year. Offering a kid off hudl and inviting them to camp doesn't cost anything. Recruiting doesn't mean the coaches are canvasing an entire state.

Last edited:
Is it just me or has it been 10 years since CNY had that one nationally ranked recruit? It use to be every 1-3 years you would see a 4 star come out of CNY...Walker, Levens, Rhodes, Mattews, Sales, Dunbar etc. Would be interested to see this staff have a shot at one of these guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom