Where there's smoke | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Where there's smoke

To me it's just a question of how far you need to go down 81 to where it will make a difference to these kids.. That is the question, my guess is somewhere near Harrisburg, PA. Marrone will do his damage in the NY/ LI and in New York regardless.

You are absolutely right.

I hadn't thought this through. But as a DC resident, I can assure you that ACC membership will absolutely help in Maryland, DC and in Virginia.

This is an ACC-centric area in which Penn State and some others recruit well Areas like Prince George's County, MD and the Tidewater area of VA are recruit rich for football and basketball.

SU has always gotten some recruits out of DC including some very good ones. But SU is going to be more visible in the Washington Post and the Baltimore Sun and whatever rag they have in Norfolk.

A recruiting pitch that includes "We play Maryland. We play Virginia. We play Virginia Tech" will resonate with recruits, I am sure. Your family and friends can watch you a couple of times a year. NC, Duke, UNC, Wake and NCSU are 4 hours away.

In the past going to SU was was like leaving to go play schools these kids aren't familiar with.

States like NC and SC and GA being in play will help. But look at a map that shows population density. Baltimore to Norfolk ought to recieve a lot more attention from SU.

I hadn't thought this through. But as a DC resident, I can assure you that ACC membership will absolutely help in Maryland, DC and in Virginia.

We currently have on our roster 25 kids from ACC states...not including Delaware or the northern ACC states of PA and MA.

We already target the area heavily and I have to feel that this will help even more.

Since you are our Michigan expert;

I have relatives through marriage and friends in several Midwestern states. There are graduates of several of the Big Ten schools in this group.

I am continually surprised how strongly these people identify as Midwesterners and how irritated they are by what they perceive is the slights they must endure from Easterners. "We know to you Easterners we're in fly-over" country", they say and they don't much like it.

Much of the Big Ten identity has to do with this "Midwestern" thing.

I can see this as a real impediment to inviting a quintessentially Eastern school as Rutgers. You can make the argument that Upstate NY is just like Michigan. But Rutgers is thoroughly New Jersey. To invite RU is to make the Big Ten into a different animal.

Coastie... :)

Coastie... :)

Bayside - I never think about being an "Easterner" until I spend some time with these people. But after a day or two of listening to how they think I start wondering if we are all from the same planet.

A few years ago, a group of these people went to NYC on a vacation and attended a Mets game as part of the activities. They rooted for their Midwestern home team. In the 7th inning, the security people told them that it would be best if they left soon as they couldn't guarantee their safety. These people were incredulous.

Most of what they understand about us they get from TV. Some had watched "The Wire" and asked me how realistic it was. "Pretty realistic", I had to tell them.

Of course we have the same problem. My experience is that "Fargo" is more right than wrong

"Shortest and easiest path to the BCS", they'll proclaim.
"We didn't like Syracuse and Pitt anyway", you'll hear.

Check out their boards and you will see this is already starting.

It amy take a while for this to sink in, but SU should have a huge advantage.

I'm not sure how much being in the ACC will help SU. Just how positive will recruits be towards playing in a conference with all these Southern schools? How will the fan base react?
its going to be a huge advantage. Syracuse is relevent, those 2 will not be.

southern schools?? bc, pitt & maryland have always been on the schedule. penn st is sort of back.

what are we losing? rut and wv.

and if wv ends up in the bevo, im sure they would love to schedule Syracuse as often as possible. so that leaves rut, but Syracuse is already scheduling in jersey, so...next.

whos left?? storz?? they never were on the schedule in the 1st place. so let them die. who cares.

Oh Lord

This is an ACC-centric area in which Penn State and some others recruit well Areas like Prince George's County, MD and the Tidewater area of VA are recruit rich for football and basketball.

SU has always gotten some recruits out of DC including some very good ones. But SU is going to be more visible in the Washington Post and the Baltimore Sun and whatever rag they have in Norfolk.

A recruiting pitch that includes "We play Maryland. We play Virginia. We play Virginia Tech" will resonate with recruits, I am sure. Your family and friends can watch you a couple of times a year. NC, Duke, UNC, Wake and NCSU are 4 hours away.

In the past going to SU was was like leaving to go play schools these kids aren't familiar with.

States like NC and SC and GA being in play will help. But look at a map that shows population density. Baltimore to Norfolk ought to recieve a lot more attention from SU.

It will be great for these areas for sure, mid atlantic, NYS, florida and Georgia could be where the current staff will be hanging their hat the next few years...

I'm going to back up AKS a bit here in defense of Rutgirls...just random snippets, but...Rutgirls is valuable as long as they are winning at a high % clip. I've heard more Rutgirls fans on national sports talk radio the past week than all of last year? Why? Well no one bandwagons better than Rutgirls.

So Rutgirls proves value if they are winning 9-12 games a season. Fortunately I don't see it happening.

So Rutgirls proves value if they are winning 9-12 games a season. Fortunately I don't see it happening.

The irony is that if Rutgers plays well enough to "prove value" and get a bid to the Big Ten, they'll start losing NJ recruits to the power programs and will fight with Indiana annually to stay out of the conference basement. And at that point they're of no value at all.

No wonder they're so good at selling snake oil, it's all they got...

big 10 will take ru to 1. have some presence in the metro area 2. appease psu for an eastern opponent 3. they fit the profile of big 10 schools . they are adding the med school back into the university, including the school for public health. 3. potential for growth athletically and research wise is there. many pharmaceutical companies in nj = greater research dollars.

3 schools who are likely shlitting bricks, listed from bad runs to elephant sized poop...

1. rutgers
2. cincy
3. storz

if things move, rut goes somewhere. if cincy gets nothing, its right back where they were and i dont they, or anyone else will care. now storz...whoa, when they are left holding the bag...and they should and likely will, there will be a big shlitzstorm.

I would add USF to that list... which BCS conference would scoop them up? ACC... um, no. SEC... um, no. PAC 12/Big 12/Big 10? No way. I think Rutgers, UCONN, and USF are the most screwed... Cinci is probably screwed. Louisville and WVU should be okay finding a home in a BCS conference eventually.

New Big East logo:
left-behind.jpg

big 10 will take ru to 1. have some presence in the metro area 2. appease psu for an eastern opponent 3. they fit the profile of big 10 schools . they are adding the med school back into the university, including the school for public health. 3. potential for growth athletically and research wise is there. many pharmaceutical companies in nj = greater research dollars.

Gotta disagree with some of your points.

There are a lot of pharmaceutical companies in NJ as there are in eastern Pa and NC. But Rutgers proximity does little on the Research side. It's just as easy for the NJ Pharmas to do business with UPMC (Pitt) or Duke or Johns Hopkins as it is Rutgers. Or the N.I. H in Bethesda. If the Big Ten was serious about Pharma Research they ought to absorb Johns Hopkins. The Internet and airplanes make distance largely irrelevant. And places like UPMC and Hopkins are miles ahead of NJ's Medical Center.

The Big Ten already has a presence in NJ/NY. Their games are broadcast in primetime on Saturdays. Not on weeknights like Rutgers. RU's appeal to the NJ/NY audience is way overblown. If it were so great, we wouldn't have the lousy contract we have now.

Rutgers has been available in all of the three Conference expansions (2 - ACC and 1 Big Ten) and nobody has bit yet. What's that tell you?

It seems that if ND were to go to the ACC, that UConn would be picked. UConn is no prize. Again, no Rutgers.

"Rutgers has been available in all of the three Conference expansions (2 - ACC and 1 Big Ten) and nobody has bit yet. What's that tell you?[/quote]

Bingo.

If their NYC "presence" was so valuable, all things considered, then why haven't they been picked up yet? Even the ACC looked at SU & UConn first, before finally taking Pitt, so....why no Rutgers?
The B1G is sitting pretty & vacuuming up wads of cash with their BTN, which is pretty impressive, btw...(it was recently included in my new TV pkg w/ AT&T U-Verse).
Like the ACC they don't HAVE to expand unless the prize is ND, & then the musical chairs are back in play. I still believe UConn is first choice (w/ND) for the ACC, while the B1G will have all sorts of better options to choose from then good 'ole Rutgers.

The ACC expanded quickly to shore up the conference from losing anyone. That problem is solved. The ACC is done expanding. That's the only reason that Tobacco Road was onboard.

The Big Ten's only want is Notre Dame. The Big Ten is done expanding since ND can stay independent.

Rutgers and UConn are so .

"Rutgers has been available in all of the three Conference expansions (2 - ACC and 1 Big Ten) and nobody has bit yet. What's that tell you?

Bingo.

If their NYC "presence" was so valuable, all things considered, then why haven't they been picked up yet? Even the ACC looked at SU & UConn first, before finally taking Pitt, so....why no Rutgers?
The B1G is sitting pretty & vacuuming up wads of cash with their BTN, which is pretty impressive, btw...(it was recently included in my new TV pkg w/ AT&T U-Verse).
Like the ACC they don't HAVE to expand unless the prize is ND, & then the musical chairs are back in play. I still believe UConn is first choice (w/ND) for the ACC, while the B1G will have all sorts of better options to choose from then good 'ole Rutgers.[/quote]

The Rutgers people have convinced themselves that their market "potential" is real, obvious and irrefutable.

And they know this because lots of sports columnists have told them this. "It's common knowledge". they think and say. Rutgers' admission to the Big Ten has been guaranteed by so many posters on their board that its beeyond challenge.

Everytime I read a sportswriter say that RU is the obvious choice, I laugh.

One of my family members was a sportswriter at a major US newspaper for a number of years after graduating from a fancy college. He liked sports, had played college football and was an English Major, so it was a natural.

He wrote for a number of years, but eventually decided that he couldn't really earn a living at it so he went back for an MBA.

I asked him about the knowledge of "business" of his friends and colleagues when he was at the newspaper. He said that their understanding of business was at such a low level it was hard to communicate it. They had "zero" understanding of it.

So when a columnist ventures an opinion about which schools are the obvious choices, understand that they are among the least qualified people to make that judgment on the planet.

The "professionals" at the ACC and Big Ten and the networks have judged Rutgers unworthy. It's the English Majors making $40K a year for their opinions that have made Rutgers the obvious choice.

The ACC expanded quickly to shore up the conference from losing anyone. That problem is solved. The ACC is done expanding. That's the only reason that Tobacco Road was onboard.
Well, that and the money. (From the anticipated increase in revenues following contract renegotiation)

Well, that and the money. (From the anticipated increase in revenues following contract renegotiation)

Correct, which kicked in when they added two teams.

And now they're done. There is no reason to add anyone else.

Yup. That's my take on it too.