Where was bj? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Where was bj?

High school coaches in my area that I know who follow Syracuse and other teams of interest. So are you saying we overestimated Roberson's talent out of high school, or do you think he's not ready to play now?
High school coaches? Really? they can make a judgment about a kid they haven't seen play? A Hall of Fame coach watchs that kid every day. Roberson is yet to be decided. But he has more of a game than BJ does.

High school coaches in my area that I know who follow Syracuse and other teams of interest. So are you saying we overestimated Roberson's talent out of high school, or do you think he's not ready to play now?
Yes to both questions.

BJ brings more to the team than Roberson, Patterson and sadly possibly even Gbinije.

With BJ in we're a top 10 rebounding team. I don't know what you guys watch, but it seems like the top rebounding teams always go pretty far.

yep . . . his best talent right now is on the defensive glass - spot where SU forwards are traditionally vulnerable. He has a nice stroke that will come along,too.

some also seem to be forgetting that Roberson was in his first game back from an injury & we don't even know if he was 100%

Given Boeheim's preference for tight rotations, its unlikely that both will get a lot of minutes in big games, but one or the other is going to end up being the de facto sixth man (sixth in minutes even though probably a starter). I think that BJ has more offensive skills but Tyler is a little better on defense, but not by much given BJ's rebounding. it will be interesting to see how their battle shakes out

If BJ can pull down 7-10 boards a game theres little anyone can say here to justify his lack of minutes. I get it his shots haven't been falling, well guess what, no ones have till last night.

BJ brings energy, and rebounds into transition.

He's clearly, imo, the better option in the sophomore class and honestly should be the 6th man in the rotation. I'm saying this as G's biggest advocate too.

If BJ can pull down 7-10 boards a game theres little anyone can say here to justify his lack of minutes. I get it his shots haven't been falling, well guess what, no ones have till last night.

BJ brings energy, and rebounds into transition.

He's clearly, imo, the better option in the sophomore class and honestly should be the 6th man in the rotation. I'm saying this as G's biggest advocate too.
7 to 10 boards a game is a hugh number.

Trueblue25 said:
If BJ can pull down 7-10 boards a game theres little anyone can say here to justify his lack of minutes. I get it his shots haven't been falling, well guess what, no ones have till last night. BJ brings energy, and rebounds into transition. He's clearly, imo, the better option in the sophomore class and honestly should be the 6th man in the rotation. I'm saying this as G's biggest advocate too.
Crazy talk

7 to 10 boards a game is a hugh number.
obviously he won't get 9 or 10.

Even 6 to 8 is impressive and helps us a lot. Granted he may get pushed around by tougher competition...but when he pulls down the board he always immediately turns and fires it up court. That's what we need. We're good enough to bring back that 2010 transition game.

Crazy talk
Roberson looks lost/needs time to recover. Buss is too small and not ready to contribute. Gbinije basically plays by default.

We are a tournament team. But we aren't good enough this year to sit players who pull down boards and help spark our offense. Bj's dunk the other night against Holy Cross or whoever was something noone else on the team can do except maybe McCullough.

Roberson looks lost/needs time to recover. Buss is too small and not ready to contribute. Gbinije basically plays by default.

We are a tournament team. But we aren't good enough this year to sit players who pull down boards and help spark our offense. Bj's dunk the other night against Holy Cross or whoever was something noone else on the team can do except maybe McCullough.
You and I have been watching two different players. Very unimpressed with BJ and agree he should have been pulled last night. We lost a one possesion game. He fumbled and stumbled the only two possesions he was in for.

Uh, maybe if Roberson got more developmental minutes last year, he'd be more developed this year. So, yes, he should've gotten more minutes last year.

Trevor Cooney didn't play for two years, and shot 38 percent from three last year. Roberson was handed the starting job, and the reason he isn't producing was because he didn't get minutes last year? I don't buy it.

You and I have been watching two different players. Very unimpressed with BJ and agree he should have been pulled last night. We lost a one possesion game. He fumbled and stumbled the only two possesions he was in for.
We had over what, 20 turnovers as a team last night?

I'm also a bit unimpressed with BJ at this point. But I'm very unimpressed with Roberson. I'm disappointed in Gbinije as well, he has the ability to be a bigger contributor but just doesn't.

agreed. Play BJ over G? Boy this board has already jumped the shark on this season...

Not over G. I think BJ should be given minutes though. G's been really disappointing all around. His drive to the hoop last night to bring the game close was beautiful. Pisses me off he doesn't take initiative more.

i agree that when Cooney struggles, which is often, G should go up top and BJ at the 3. this might be our best lineup as the season goes on.

BJ's just not that good. Will he be? Maybe. But right now he's just not that good against good competition. Honestly never understood the infatuation with him and his game. He has a decent stroke, and may prove to be a much better player late in his junior or senior year. But I am not expecting much. Roberson isn't there either, but at least he is physical enough to compete for rebounds.
Actually, the most surprising part of BJ's game is his how well he rebounds right now, despite his age and relatively slight frame; he has great instincts on the glass, and that's rare to see. When his shot starts to fall and he gains confidence with his offense, and when he becomes more comfortable and skilled defensively, this kid will be a major contributor.

BJ might be a decent contributor but JB is going to pick his spots.

If the opposing team has real good size (Michigan), BJ will struggle defensively and JB will cut his minutes.

We pretty much know that McCullough, Rak, Cooney & Joseph will get consistent big minutes. I expect to see variations game to game in the 5th spot depending on whether G is on his game, whether BJ is OK on defense against a particular team or will be overpowered, and how Roberson progresses. Work in progress.

I think BJ needs to start making some shots before he gets any extended run. He is like so many players before him, supposedly a great practice shooter but can't get it done in games. Boeheim tends to leave guys in when they make a shot or two. If he misses a couple right away, he is banished to the bench. Unfortunately for him, but that is the pattern that I've observed with him and others. Roberson in a little different situation, I think he can stay on the floor if he either does some positives on the offensive end with scoring or if he starts cleaning the glass with rebounds.

I think BJ needs to start making some shots before he gets any extended run. He is like so many players before him, supposedly a great practice shooter but can't get it done in games. Boeheim tends to leave guys in when they make a shot or two. If he misses a couple right away, he is banished to the bench. Unfortunately for him, but that is the pattern that I've observed with him and others. Roberson in a little different situation, I think he can stay on the floor if he either does some positives on the offensive end with scoring or if he starts cleaning the glass with rebounds.

BJ hit the bench against Mich because we started the game running a set play to get Chris going to the hoop and BJ over through him out of bounds. Then he had two rebounds in his hands and couldn't bring them in. JB promptly went to Tyler. BJ didn't even shoot but in general I agree he needs to make a few shots which he should be capable of. I expect that Tyler will be back in the starting line up Saturday.

This was a big boy game. BJ was too light to compete inside tonight. He got slightly bumped and lost the ball out of bounds. Then he was done. Too bad Roberson isn't ready either.
True, and even CM had some trouble adjusting to the physical play. And here's a switch -- I actually thought the game was competently officiated. We were in it at the end and just got froshed!! No worries. This happens to LV early every season. And by March they're hard-ballin'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom