Where was bj? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Where was bj?

I will chalk some of this up to the back issue, but he is really disappointing. My problem is that he seems to predetermine to attempt to force crazy shot/turnaround and has no way to get out of it when things are going south on the play.
I mean the guy has hardly played... Less than 250 min in his career. He made some plays tonight.

I mean the guy has hardly played... Less than 250 min in his career. He made some plays tonight.

I agree for the most part. This is a frosh. But id like him to stop making the same mistakes such as dribbling too deep. Also, id like to know what direction he was given on the last play. We were down one point. Why was he trying to set cooney up for a 3. Lets get it down low there.

Healthy scratch?

uhhh what? he played a ton today. Got pulled in the 2nd for gbinje

edit: didn't realize he only played 3 min. didn't even realize in the 1st half. seemed like he was out there a ton.

One thing I'll give to BJ is… he's still only 18 years old. He's an 18 year old sophomore who's body is developing. He's not one of these guys like Fab or MCW who I think were 35 as sophs at SU.

I have nothing but respect for kids who started Kindergarten at age 4, because I did as well.

Showoff.

uhhh what? he played a ton today. Got pulled in the 2nd for gbinje

edit: didn't realize he only played 3 min. didn't even realize in the 1st half. seemed like he was out there a ton.
C'mon man...
He played 5 minutes, only stat was a turnover...

C'mon man...

And got promptly pulled after that TO. Game looked too fast for him right out of the gate. He'll get his chances.

C'mon man...

C'mon man, you freaking quoted after I "edited"!!! what in the sam freaking hell is wrong with you?

BJ's just not that good. Will he be? Maybe. But right now he's just not that good against good competition. Honestly never understood the infatuation with him and his game. He has a decent stroke, and may prove to be a much better player late in his junior or senior year. But I am not expecting much. Roberson isn't there either, but at least he is physical enough to compete for rebounds.

OGBJ said repeatedly that BJ hit the weight room hard this off-season. Was he lifting paper mâché weights? He makes Chris McC look jacked in comparison.

Roberson has been a huge disappointment. I'm shocked at how spaztic he looks out there.

FWIW he was lifting pre-game.

The difference for them is 3 other people dont play their position...and McC is established
Exactly. Joseph gets a ton of leash because...well, who the hell else is JB going to play at the point? And McCullough is averaging nearly a double double, so uh, yeah, I think he's going to be given as much latitude as he needs.

OGBJ said repeatedly that BJ hit the weight room hard this off-season. Was he lifting paper mâché weights? He makes Chris McC look jacked in comparison.

Roberson has been a huge disappointment. I'm shocked at how spaztic he looks out there.

When you are as thin as BJ is, you are not going to be very strong and it is going to take time before you can lift the amount of weight required to bulk up.

BJ will shred long before he bulks.

And although upper body strength certainly helps, real strength comes from your legs and your core, not your chest and biceps.

And of course you are disappointed in Roberson.

Last season you were one of the prime time players when it came to declaring that, sight unseen, Roberson needed to get some of Fair's and Grant's minutes.

Now that he has actually gotten significant court time, it should be blindlingly obvious why he did not play last year.

He simply needs time to develop.

Stop having unrealistic expectations about players, especially when you don't see them play every day in practice, and you won't be disappointed.

And high school doesn't count.

When you are as thin as BJ is, you are not going to be very strong and it is going to take time before you can lift the amount of weight required to bulk up.

BJ will shred long before he bulks.

And although upper body strength certainly helps, real strength comes from your legs and your core, not your chest and biceps.

And of course you are disappointed in Roberson.

Last season you were one of the prime time players when it came to declaring that, sight unseen, Roberson needed to get some of Fair's and Grant's minutes.

Now that he has actually gotten significant court time, it should be blindlingly obvious why he did not play last year.

He simply needs time to develop.

Stop having unrealistic expectations about players, especially when you don't see them play every day in practice, and you won't be disappointed.

And high school doesn't count.

Uh, maybe if Roberson got more developmental minutes last year, he'd be more developed this year. So, yes, he should've gotten more minutes last year.

Uh, maybe if Roberson got more developmental minutes last year, he'd be more developed this year. So, yes, he should've gotten more minutes last year.

I'm sorry but this is just a stupid statement.

Give him meaningful minutes last year and he kills the team while he is on the floor. He wasn't in the same universe as Grant and Fair when it came to contributing.

Give him token minutes and it does F***-all for his development.

Seriously, how do you come up with this stuff?

You think giving a guy 3 minutes, or even 5, a game is going to somehow accelerate his development??? (And in Roberson's case, the development curve would have had to accelerate exponentially in order to get him to a level remotely similar to the levels that Fair and Grant played at last year).

C'mon man, you were on the "Roberson's gotta play" bandwagon last year and you were dead wrong.

Forza: I've spoken to coaches who think guys like Roberson should've been given 6-8 minutes a game last year. Whatever, we'll agree to disagree. I'm not sure how you can say I was "dead wrong" just because Roberson is not ready to play this year. There's no way to prove either of our arguments.

Also, saying that high school doesn't count or matter is stupid. We obviously base our recruiting on how kids play in high school. Those talent evaluations don't count when it comes to readiness to play in college? Good to know.

Now I'm done with this topic.

Forza: I've spoken to coaches who think guys like Roberson should've been given 6-8 minutes a game last year. Whatever, we'll agree to disagree. I'm not sure how you can say I was "dead wrong" just because Roberson is not ready to play this year. There's no way to prove either of our arguments.

Also, saying that high school doesn't count or matter is stupid. We obviously base our recruiting on how kids play in high school. Those talent evaluations don't count when it comes to readiness to play in college? Good to know.

Now I'm done with this topic.
What coaches think he should have got 6-8 minutes a game? Not the ones that saw him every day in practice. On a good, deep team, he wouldn't be getting 6-8 minutes this year.

BJ brings more to the team than Roberson, Patterson and sadly possibly even Gbinije.

With BJ in we're a top 10 rebounding team. I don't know what you guys watch, but it seems like the top rebounding teams always go pretty far.

One thing I'll give to BJ is… he's still only 18 years old. He's an 18 year old sophomore who's body is developing. He's not one of these guys like Fab or MCW who I think were 35 as sophs at SU.

I have nothing but respect for kids who started Kindergarten at age 4, because I did as well.
and empathy, from personal experience.

BJ's just not that good. Will he be? Maybe. But right now he's just not that good against good competition. Honestly never understood the infatuation with him and his game. He has a decent stroke, and may prove to be a much better player late in his junior or senior year. But I am not expecting much. Roberson isn't there either, but at least he is physical enough to compete for rebounds.
I'm still a believer but I'd like to see him establish an advantage by playing shooting guard where length would be an advantage and frame would not be a disadvantage. He tore it up in Estonia and the Baltics live and die for basketball. JB was a successful 6'3" 150 lb shooting guard, which was probably tall for the position in those primitive times when wonder bread was the bread of choice.

What coaches think he should have got 6-8 minutes a game? Not the ones that saw him every day in practice. On a good, deep team, he wouldn't be getting 6-8 minutes this year.

High school coaches in my area that I know who follow Syracuse and other teams of interest. So are you saying we overestimated Roberson's talent out of high school, or do you think he's not ready to play now?

iommi said:
High school coaches in my area that I know who follow Syracuse and other teams of interest. So are you saying we overestimated Roberson's talent out of high school, or do you think he's not ready to play now.

Just chiming in to the last question you posted, I think his talent was overestimated out of HS. He could be a solid contributed next year and the year after but I don't think it's in his cards this year. Not writing him off by any means, but he really hasn't shown any sort of sign he's ready.

Forza: I've spoken to coaches who think guys like Roberson should've been given 6-8 minutes a game last year.

I don't care if you spoke to Phil Jackson or Pat Riley, unless they were at practice every day they have zero cred to say that.

And his performance this year shows that he was simply not ready last year.

You claim to have seen Roberson play a ton in high school. Therefore, I assumed that your belief that he should be in the rotation last year was based on what you saw of him in high school and not just blind intuition. Hence, the "high school doesn't count".

Look, I know you have had health issues and I fervently hope that those are all behind you and you are 100% again.

That is all.

End of discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom