Where was heard? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Where was heard?

It would have been much better if we had won this game by 21 points. Everyone would sit up and take notice. We let an ass-whoopin' get away.
A win is a win is a win. We're 2-0 with wins over a Top 25 team and two bowl teams from last year, one which has won 10 games in consecutive years. We're at the top of the ACC, undefeated, for this week and next. Let the good times roll.

Not in the game plan, great adjustment to go 3-3 stack and 3-2-6
Was Barron playing LB in the stack? Seemed like he spent more time in the center of the field rather than secondary

I noticed a couple 3-2-6 sets. I guess if you’re leading by multiple scores I don’t hate it, but only in those scenarios please.

Any team that gets 2 blocked kicks and recovers an onside kick should win the game.
No excuses.
and they had zero answers for McCord. I do like ga tech’s personnel in the secondary but they really struggled to get any pressure up front.

After last weeks struggle with the 4-2-5, sparrow and McDonald looked much more comfortable in the 3-3. The Sam and the Will were back to doing what they were used to doing last year, (except for McDonald’s missed tackle). Middle linebacker is the easiest position to learn in the 3-3 and Diggs excelled in it because he could freelance knowing he had help to the outside. Amazing how one week later no one is accusing our defense of being slow. They were again playing downhill versus reacting. It’s amazing despite practicing all summer in the 4-2 how easily they adapted to the 3-3. Great coaching. I would be very surprised if this is a one game defense as Fran said. It was night and day different from last week. Also, it’s kind of interesting, I saw Watson play a few snaps at DE at 310 lbs. This year appears we finally have the personnel to play the 3-3. So again, I predict we see more.
He definitely played better. I watched a replay and it looked to me like McDonald was tripped as he was busting through the line. He appeared to catch someone’s foot.

Cuse almost played a "complete game" yesterday. Our Coordinators did a GREAT job in preparation for GTECH. BUT...
Special teams...YIKES!!!!!!!!!!
Chestnut, trying to play the run, gets roasted on an open fire.
And it was nice of Allen to show up in the 4th qtr,...sheesh.

Next up is Stanford...both teams have a bye week.
Friday night...ought to be fun!!

Was Barron playing LB in the stack? Seemed like he spent more time in the center of the field rather than secondary

I noticed a couple 3-2-6 sets. I guess if you’re leading by multiple scores I don’t hate it, but only in those scenarios please.
GT‘s impact guys are sub 6-foot quick/fast. Get speed on the field to match. They were in that early.

My GTech buddy said they played like crap. As a Syracuse fan, I think it's just they went up against a good D. We'll see over the coming weeks. I'm glad we have the head to head win. We need to just win one at a time.

as you can see from my handle, i probably know quite a few atl people. and honeslty not 1 said they played like crap. i had multiple people reach out to say both teams are really good. we were just better.

and also multiple people had no idea who oronde gadsden is which is wild to me.

Without Diggs in the center it's a different game IMO. His line Solo 4 Ast/ 3 Tot 7/ TFL 2/ 4 YDS.

I imaging depending on who we are playing his position will change but he was great today

Based on Fran's presser comments, he said EROB and the D coaches sequestered themselves in a room for a day and a half and came up with a substantially altered defensive scheme. Those schemes and Diggs lining up at multiple positions and sometimes in center / middle linebacker clearly threw Haynes and the Gtech offense off, and they had problems adjusting to schemes they didn't and couldn't practice for. It also let Diggs loose and go full beastmode. He was pure chaos. Great to see and fun to watch.

Three points:

1. D-rescheme. Clearly they did a lot more on defense than simply "tackle better" and play tougher as Fran hinted at last week (coachspeak with his cards close to the vest obviously)... And it's clear he let EROB and his D-coaches "fix it' how they wanted - successful delegation by Fran without too many cooks in the kitchen. I think Dino suffered from that often (doubling down on schemes that weren't working and/or overriding what his coaches wanted to do with his plans/tweaks)... I.e. why Anae ran for the door.

2. Implementation. Impressive they (the coaches and the team) could rescheme that substantially on D in one week after losing Waxe and hold a team like Gtech, with their running game, to 100 yards. In a game that relies so heavily on repetition to yield effectiveness, it was a small miracle and kudos to them all. Very hard thing to do in one week. There is no way that works if the players are not 100% focused and know exactly what is expected of them and how to execute it.

3. Physicality. Fran harped on the fact in the presser that he took Key's comments personally about it not being about X's and O's coming into the dome with their plan to out-tough us from 12-4. It really pissed him off. He diplomatically called Key dumb for giving him that ammunition. OG said in the presser that Fran had those comments and the "F Syracuse" comments with the laughs in a loop and was playing it all week to the players in every film room review. It clearly worked and the players played with a big chip on their shoulders. Great knob twisting and tuning by Fran to get the team hyper-focused.

All in all, some big and little things to really like about yesterday's performance and the preparation that went into it.

Really like what we're seeing from Fran and his coaches so far as well. He's passing the new head coach test with flying colors so far.

Let's get Specials fixed next and continue to progress.

If we can stay reasonably healthy the rest of the way, this team has a LOT potential for good things.

Last edited:
as you can see from my handle, i probably know quite a few atl people. and honeslty not 1 said they played like crap. i had multiple people reach out to say both teams are really good. we were just better.

and also multiple people had no idea who oronde gadsden is which is wild to me.
I noticed that from their message board---lots of references to "that big TE." We forget that he hasn't played in over a year and wasn't a household name two years ago.

I just enjoyed watching Diggs literally blow up the guard and drop the back for a loss on that crucial 4th down. It was at that point I knew they had them. Just didn’t expect them to make it as close as they did to GTs credit.

Fran has a lot of rabbits in his hat.
It shows our coaches and player's are adaptable. The players believe the Coaches will put them in position to succeed.

It shows our coaches and player's are adaptable. The players believe the Coaches will put them in position to succeed.

That's where these former NFL coaches can make a difference. It looks to me that we have become a "game plan" team, rather than a "system" team. I think that it's harder to do, but so far so good. These guys appear to be really good teachers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom