Where would beating Kansas rank | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Where would beating Kansas rank

We're 3-2 against KU all-time. I know the wins and one of the losses (the blowout loss in the tournament when Shumpert had the scratched cornea), but I can't place the other loss. Anyone?

We're 3-2 against KU all-time. I know the wins and one of the losses (the blowout loss in the tournament when Shumpert had the scratched cornea), but I can't place the other loss. Anyone?

DATE
12/14/1968 Lost to Kansas 41-71 I was less than 3 months old then...

amongst our biggest wins. Kansas is ranked 2 and we seem to have a thirst for wining. Would it be as big as our Duke win last year? Would guess not close to the famous Virginia win. USA poll gave us 6 votes for top 25. Would a Kansas win move us up significantly? I’m like crazy excited
It would be a nice game to take but wouldn’t move the needle in terms of all-time program wins.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat of being satisfied if it's close in the 2nd half. A win would be about as big as any non-con W I can remember, probably more than the 2010 UNC game because that Tar Heel team missed the NCAA Tournament, which Kansas hasn't done since the 80's.

But if they can find a way to get Azubuike in foul trouble, they won't have anyone who can match our bigs in the paint. We can't win this game by trying to hang with their three-point shooting.

amongst our biggest wins. Kansas is ranked 2 and we seem to have a thirst for wining. Would it be as big as our Duke win last year? Would guess not close to the famous Virginia win. USA poll gave us 6 votes for top 25. Would a Kansas win move us up significantly? I’m like crazy excited

"I'm crazy excited!"

Well, that says it all.

Calm down. Take two aspirins and get a good night sleep.

It's November.

Our best player is playing hurt. (JB said last night he was 50%)

Early season rankings mean nothing.

Of course, winning is better than losing and it would be great to win. But I'd rather see a slow steady rise in the polls than a uber-sugar high and a crash.

A crash like what's going to occur here among the too easily excited after we lose a game or two.

We've got three and a half months ahead of us. Maybe a little more.

If you live in Kansas, no doubt you hear the hero worship all the time. But I don't see us beating KU at this point. They're big, talented, athletic and deep across the board. Their center is 7-' 280 pounds.

Obviously a win would be spectacular but staying competitive with them is a more realistic goal.

Not quite accurate. They play 7 and only 7. They have little depth as Billy Preston (remember him?) is not playing yet. Yes their center is huge but they have little size aside from him. Lightfoot is their second biggest guy, at 6'8", 220lbs.

They certainly have quality guards and wings but only enough. Again, even in their 30+ point blowouts they have played 7 aside from walk-ons for a couple mop-up minutes.

I am not saying Cuse wins this as Kansas is certainly skilled and an excellent shooting team, but I don't think we will be run off the court due to waves of Jayhawks coming at us.

When was the last time an unranked Syracuse team beat a #2 on the road? I mean, it would be significant.

A few years back in 2009, Syracuse beat a highly ranked (6?) UNC squad in an early season tournament. I would rank it slightly better than that.

We beat #1 Louisville at the Yum in 2013 and they went on to win the national championship. Doninating #1 seed Indiana in the Sweet 16 that same season is also one of our biggest all time wins.

To me, the best regular season non-conference win in recent years was the 2010 win against UNC. That was an awesome performance that marked the team as a title contender after what had been a long stretch of (relative) mediocrity by Syracuse standards. I don't think this year's team is that good, but a win on Saturday might feel at least a little like that.

I was going to suggest that one. I was at that game, what a thrill. I saw Dion in the hallway of MSG and couldn't believe his modest size at the time. Can't judge a book by it's cover obviously.

I hesitate because I doubt this team touches that versions potential, but still, a win Saturday and we should be able to avoid any bubble talk this year. LGO!!!

Do people really think that 2009 MSG win over UNC was that good? I mean at the time I guess? But looking back that top ten was absolutely meaningless. Like slapping a "number six" next to DePauls name basically. Who, incidentally, gave us a much tougher game that year.

Do people really think that 2009 MSG win over UNC was that good? I mean at the time I guess? But looking back that top ten was absolutely meaningless. Like slapping a "number six" next to DePauls name basically. Who, incidentally, gave us a much tougher game that year.
The 2009 win against Kansas in KC was bigger.
The program had been down for 2 years and they beat a good team on a road neutral court.
That UNC team made the NIT.
They weren’t good.

Absolutely. It was not known how bad UNC was at the time, and that game was Wesley's coming out party. He and Andy just had their way on the court that night, it was a thing of beauty from a team no one was expecting much from. And the performance made Bob Knight declare the team a contender, it was that impressive.

Absolutely. It was not known how bad UNC was at the time, and that game was Wesley's coming out party. He and Andy just had their way on the court that night, it was a thing of beauty from a team no one was expecting much from. And the performance made Bob Knight declare the team a contender, it was that impressive.

But they weren't good. It was illusion based on they're name and the number next their name.

But they weren't good. It was illusion based on they're name and the number next their name.

but at the same time, you found out how good Syracuse was. Guess you had to be there.

A few years back in 2009, Syracuse beat a highly ranked (6?) UNC squad in an early season tournament. I would rank it slightly better than that.

That UNC team ended up being horrible though.

Those were two great nights in MSG though. Beating up on Cal and UNC back-to-back was a lot of fun.

I just don't see how this team can beat Kansas.

The KU guards are so good and they are so deep there. Their quickness is going to give Howard fits.

They are weaker inside, but I don't think it'll matter much.

hqdefault.jpg

• Guys, it’s important for us to hustle at both ends of the court. We gotta make the offense work. We gotta play that big tough D, we gotta contain their big men inside. We gotta crash the boards on offense. We can’t give them the baseline at any price.

To me, the best regular season non-conference win in recent years was the 2010 win against UNC. That was an awesome performance that marked the team as a title contender after what had been a long stretch of (relative) mediocrity by Syracuse standards. I don't think this year's team is that good, but a win on Saturday might feel at least a little like that.

Agree with this and I’d value a Kansas win as even bigger because I think they are that good this year. No weak links anywhere, IMO.

The KU guards are so good and they are so deep there. Their quickness is going to give Howard fits.

Better inside than some recent Kansas teams, IMO. That Azubuike is a monster. Could see double the power/monster dunks that Bruno Fernando hit us with. Our bigs gotta be good deterrents and stay out of foul trouble.

No. The Villanova win at the dome to clinch the Big East Regular Season title was bigger if you ask me.

People say this all the time. This isn't the football program going to Clemson.

I feel like if I had a nickel for every time people said this and we win I would be a millionaire. Heck people were saying this about Maryland yesterday. It's moving the goalposts Every time we play Duke, when we went to Louisville in 2013, when we played Georgetown in the last BET, etc. Just stop. Sound ridiculous.

Nothing is impossible with the basketball program. Now it may be a 20% chance we win Saturday, but counting Boeheim out is foolish. Especially against a school that rarely sees zone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom