Which of these SU teams | Syracusefan.com

Which of these SU teams

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Got you hooked on SU basketball?

Which team did you first see in person?

Which one was your favorite?

If you could pick one of these uniforms for a retro game which would it be?

Who was your first favorite player?

It's a shame this doesn't go back further than 1965-1966

Is there a link that goes back further?

Click

86-87

Not sure exactly, but I my guess is 88-89

88-89 (Coleman, Owens, Thompson, Roe, Douglas) Really fun team to watch.

I have to say, I like the current jerseys the best. Unlike most, I have always hated the cursive Syracuse. I'd probably go with the mid 90's jersey if I had to choose a retro.

Should be obvious from my name, but its Sherman Douglas.

Click

My father got me hooked. He didnt fish, golf, hunt, ski with me ever but took me to hundreds of sporting events before I became a teenager.
1977-1978 Team was the first I saw In person
1987 and 1989 teams were my favorites
1987 Uniforms were the best
First favorite player was Erich Sanifer

orangehoops.org goes back farther

Last edited:
]Got you hooked on SU basketball?
Was born a fan. But I became rabid when Carmelite Anthony hut campus (also my freshman year at college)

Oh man I probably can't remember the exact team but I recall going to a few '96 games

Beating Gtown on bday a few years ago. Had great seats and went nuts all game.

Nope, superstitious

Hakim Warrick

Hooked ... 1975

First saw the team in person ... 1977

Favorite ... 2003.

Favorite uniform ... 1981-83.

1st favorite player ... Tony Bruin

Use this uniform, and throw in a free pair of the frames with every jersey sold to a fan.

boeheim_player.jpg

82-83. I got a polaroid picture with Leo Rautins at a meet-and-greet at Manley Field House. I may still have Sonny Spera's autograph, too.

62-63

My father had taken us to a couple games in 61-62. Sat in the balcony right below Joel Marieness. But in 62-63, when Bing (and JB) were on the freshman team, we went to many of them. Sat in the balcony each game again, but I still remember, about the 2nd game we attended, my father saying about Bing, "This kid is going to be pretty good. We need to get season tickets next year when he's on the Varsity". So we did. Second row behind the visitors bench right behind Al Brickman (for anyone that knew him).

And so it began......

pfister1 said:
Use this uniform, and throw in a free pair of the frames with every jersey sold to a fan.

Throw in the belt that's in that pic and you got a deal!!

got me hooked: 78-79...although the 77-78 got me interested

1st witness: 83-84

favorite team: 88-89

favorite retro jersey: 88-89, that whole script era is aces. followed by the 77-81 stripes on collar look

1st favorite: Marty Head

this should be done in july btw....

I didn't realize that the number of people on the staff is only slightly less than the number of guys on the roster.

Click

Hooked: 82'-83'

First game: 80'-81'

Favorite team: 84'-85'

Favorite jersey: 89'-90'

First fav player: Sanifer

Click

Not sure...probably one of the Dennis Duval teams...

Got hooked 76-77...

Favorite team used to be 79-80...but now has to be 02-03...88-89 and 95-96 also get mentions...

Love the script unis although I also like the checks

Fav player always has been Bouie...

Got you hooked on SU basketball? 1976-77.

Which team did you first see in person? I think it was 1977-78. Opponent was (I believe) Illinois State.

Which one was your favorite? 2002-03

If you could pick one of these uniforms for a retro game which would it be? Cursive letters from the 1980s.

Who was your first favorite player? Roosevelt Bouie

Click

Got Hooked - '93 - '94

Saw in Person - '93 - '94 (I think. Could have been sooner.)

Favorite Team - '95 - '96

Retro Jersey - '79 - '80

1st Favorite - Lawrence Moten

Click

Hooked in 1970 - 71
First team seen 68 - 69 they sucked
Fav by far was Roy's Runts in 71- 72. That team averaged 87 pts, gave up 81, shot 47% from the floor and 75% from the line
Script unis were cool
First fav player Dennis Duval, with Kid Kohls a close second and Bob (Over) Dooms a close third

Got you hooked on SU basketball? Probably the '82 squad, which was Rafael Addison's freshman year. I was in grade school, and went to a lot of games with my dad every season, but that's when I started paying more attention and learning about how the game was played, and understanding what was happening out there on both sides of the ball. I was hooked the next year when the Pearl showed up. True passion began in '87, when Sherman Douglas took over.

Which team did you first see in person? Not really sure, but I remember going to Manley Field house when I was a kid. My dad had season tickets, and I was so young that I barely payed attention to the games. So some time in the mid to late 70s.

Which one was your favorite? Probably the '89 squad--Sherman Douglas's final year. Team was absolutely LOADED with DC / Billy / Stevie. But we lacked three point shooting and stunk at the FT line--cost that team some games, but IMHO that is the best squad SU has ever fielded.

But I really liked the 2003, 2010, and 2012 teams a lot--runners up. And I like this year's team a lot, too.

If you could pick one of these uniforms for a retro game which would it be? The cursive jerseys, or the ones circa the 2003 championship season. I really like most of our jerseys, with the exception of those monstrosities with the silver duct tape. Otherwise, most years we look pretty good, IMO.

Who was your first favorite player? Hands down--Sherman Douglas, the General, #20. The most exciting player in program history. Man, what a talent!

#2 and #3 on the list for me are Derrick Coleman and John Wallace, #44. Combine these two, and you've got the basis for my handle on this forum.

Slightly off topic, but a story I wanted to share: Born a Syracuse Fan. Went to Cuse. One of my teachers and coaches growing up was Phil Schoff who was a year ahead of Bing and Boeheim. My dad who went to high school with Schoff, met Bing through Phil at the NIT in 65 at the old Garden. He could of got his friend Phil into the ABA through a tryout in the 60's, but Phil said that the ABA was the minor leagues. Phil was the last person cut by the Hawks in 66. Long story short the guy was kind of conceited and never saw eye to eye with Boeheim. My brother in law sits on the State High School Basketball committee, talked to Boeheim when he was recruiting Triche in Glens Falls a few years ago. Said my dads friend Phil was nuts.

I really got hooked in the mid 90's when i was about 12 or 13. 96 probably got me hooked. Wallace was my first favorite player. 03 is obviously my favorite team, but I always end up loving every team each year. First game I went to was against Georgetown at the dome in the Mid 90's, can't remember the year, but we lost.

'78-'79 team. Louis Orr was my first favorite player. I like the unis back then too, with the orange and blue ladders up the sides.

2000-2001. I liked Damone Brown. No idea why.

2003 team in the Sweet 16 against Auburn was the first game I ever went to in person.

2009-2010

I would have said the cursive throwbacks before last week...

As stated, Damone Brown