Which of these SU teams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Which of these SU teams

Strange seeing Winfred Walton in that 96-97 pic. Man, what could have been with that recruiting class (Walton, Rock Lloyd, LeSean Howard, Etan, and Hart).

Orangeyes said:
Got you hooked on SU basketball? Which team did you first see in person? Which one was your favorite? If you could pick one of these uniforms for a retro game which would it be? Who was your first favorite player? It's a shame this doesn't go back further than 1965-1966 Is there a link that goes back further? Click

92-93

January 2007 Villanova first game at the dome

Fav team 2003

Lawrence Moten

Which team did you first see in person?
2003 team in the Sweet 16 against Auburn was the first game I ever went to in person.

Was there too with the late Tailgate Ivan. If you don't know who he was, Ivan went to most SU practices, took lots of photos of shooting motions which he gave the staff. Worked a lot of SU, Indiana, and other basketball camps around the country. He also served as an assistant at OCC and chief recruiter during a period of great success.

As you know we weren't too far removed from 911 and the security was tight at Knickerbocker Arena. Ivan always brought with him a ton of research and scouting reports. He walked in with both hands full and brief cases under each arm. Security took him to a room to go through all of his things. I would guess he was detained for 25 minutes. In the meantime, I found my way to my seat and met other like minded SU fans. Ivan barely got seated before the ball tipped. I would guess he saw no more than 5-10 minutes of the game as he kept pouring through his data. God rest his soul, he was a trip and and a half.

Hooked? I don't know, it just happened. As far back as my memories go, I was hooked.

First game, opening night in 1983 (don't remember it, though).

So difficult to pick a favorite team. Gun to my head, probably 2009-2010. Just a breath of fresh air after the previous four years. Runners-up: 2003 and 2000. And I'd like to note that there was something fun about playing as the underdog for so many years; 1996 and 1994 were really likable teams and fun seasons.

First favorite player: Wendell Alexis. Succeeded by Mike Hopkins, John Wallace, Allen Griffin, Hakim Warrick, Billy Edelin, Hakim Warrick (again), Scoop Jardine. Currently Rakeem Christmas; planning on nominating Tyler Roberson for the position in about 13 months.

Best uniforms: 1988-1993. The script is great, but the orange stripe (white on the road uniforms) puts it over the top. Better than the '83-'88 and '93-'94 uniforms for that reason. (The team photo doesn't show it, but SU did wear the upgraded uniforms in '88-'89; they must not have been ready for Media Day.) Have to add that it was exciting when we debuted those modern (for the time) uniforms with the "S" over the basketball for Moten's senior year. In hindsight, kind of cheesy dated. At the time, neat.

Bonus observation: remember all the "C.J.'s only 6'6" talk" from a year or two ago? He sure looks a lot smaller than Rakeem in that team photo…just sayin'.

Got you hooked on SU basketball? Hooked for as long as I remember. Obviously the older I got, the more I understood...
Which team did you first see in person? Had to be '75. I at least remember greeting them at the airport.
Which one was your favorite? No particular teams. The 80's teams from Pearl to DC because those were my formative years, but 2003 team was a bit special, weren't they?
If you could pick one of these uniforms for a retro game which would it be? No brainer. Cursives with MATCHING shorts. (White or Orange)
Who was your first favorite player? Dale Shackleford

Strange seeing Winfred Walton in that 96-97 pic. Man, what could have been with that recruiting class (Walton, Rock Lloyd, LeSean Howard, Etan, and Hart).

oddly winfred was the last player to wear #44. that's gotta change. offer it to mccullough if he earns the starting PF spot next year.

Got you hooked on SU basketball?

Which one was your favorite?

If you could pick one of these uniforms for a retro game which would it be?

Who was your first favorite player?

It's a shame this doesn't go back further than 1965-1966

Is there a link that goes back further?

Click
The 1993-1994 team with Adrian Autry. Loved the game against UK in the dome, and died a little when we lost in overtime against Mizzou, even with Red's epic second half performance.

First team I saw in person was the 1995-1996 team. Loved John Wallace and Laz Sims. Favorite player on that team had to be Marius Janulis though. Seriously. Saw them play 'Nova at the dome. Game ended with 'Nova winning in OT.

That same '95-'96 team would be my favorite. Was a senior in high school, and literally lived and died with that team through the tourney. Our teachers had the first round game on TV's in school so we could watch. The Georgia game, good God, the Georgia game. After the loss to UK I sat staring at the TV for 20 minutes after the game was over and the TV wasn't on. My girlfriend apparently left at some point, I don't remember. It's amazing how much everything means at 18. All of those feelings come flooding back when I think of it, but I haven't lived and died with a team as much as that since. Youth is wasted on the young.

I would go with the unis from the 1980-1981 season. Love the blocks on the jerseys, similar to what we have on our shorts now.

My first favorite player was Adrian Autry. Loved his fight in those two aforementioned games.

As a side note, it's interesting to read how many people were raised on SU. I lived in Oswego and neither of my parents cared about sports. Neither did my older brother or sister. I got into basketball through an intramural program at school, and remember wearing orange to school in '87 for the Final Four.

My parents always talk to me about the games now though, and they have even started watching them on their own. So do my brother and sister. So I guess you could say in some small way my passion for the team actually got my family interested in them, eventually. Kind of interesting that it wasn't my dad that got me interested in SU basketball, it was me that got my dad interested!

Last edited:

- Born and raised a fan, but the moment I remember most and the moment which probably propelled me to be a die-hard was the 96 tourney run with John Wallace. I was only 7 years old, but it sticks out like it just happened yesterday. CUSE IS IN DA HOUSE!!!!

- Parents started taking me to both football and basketball games (season tickets to both) ever since I was 2 yrs old, they taught me young.

- Even though I loved that '96 team, I would have to say the '03 team solely due to the championship, but the 96 team is a close runner up.

- Would have to be the 02-03 jerseys, loved those things.

- First would have to be John Wallace, but favorite all time would have to be Carmelo for finally bringing us that title that kept alluding us.

Got hooked in the early 70s with Roy's runts etc. Probably first favorite player was Dennis DuVal. His pre-game show was very entertaining where he'd stand at the foul line and hit players cutting to the hoop with crazy passes. All time favorite was Sherman Douglas.

My Dad got me hooked when I was 8-9 years old ... watching on TV or listening them on the radio

Saw them play at Walsh Gym on Seton Hall campus

1987 team ... beating JR reid and watching that in a conversion van with my friends while at basketball tourney earlier in the day

Eric Sanitfer & Tony "Red" Bruin

Click[/quote]

Got you hooked on SU basketball? My brother roomed w/ Rick Dean, who the center on the team w/ Boheim, but what got me hooked was Sweet D and the zoo at Manley Field House

Which team did you first see in person? 1972 NIT. I think they beat Davidson

Which one was your favorite? 1987 was 2003 is --- but lots of great seasons and memories before and since.

If you could pick one of these uniforms for a retro game which would it be? 80-81, but long shorts please

Who was your first favorite player? "Sweet D" Dennis DuVal

Watching the games with my grandpa and uncle for me hooked. Mid to late 80s.

1987 first game live.

Favorite team was the Fab Melo team.

I like the cursive Syracuse jerseys.

First favorite player was Dave Johnson.

Click

Not unanimous but a large number of people's favorite players come from the team that got them hooked.

Just an observation.

I was never taken to a game until '86/'87, the beneficiary of neighbor's season tickets and a Marathon Oil game. I was born on the bandwagon and never got off. I wish someone had hooked me in when I was 6 or 7 in 77 to 78. Having those memories of Manley would be fantastic. My kid is that age now and he's been to a bunch of sporting events.

My favorite team

I rank the uniforms in this order:
  1. '77 to '81
  2. '83 to '94
  3. '76 to '77
  4. '94 to '98
  5. '07 to 14
  6. '98 to 04
  7. '06 to 'o7
  8. '73 to '75
  9. '04 to '06
  10. '65 to '66
  1. '95/'96
  2. '86/'87
  3. '09/'10
  1. Derrick Coleman
  2. Wallace on offense: Hart on defense
  3. Most spectacular: Hakim Warrick or Sherman Douglas
  4. Most clutch: Carmelo Anthony
  5. Most underrated great player: Lawrence Moten
  6. Most improved: Rick Jackson or Etan Thomas
  7. Best footwork: Otis Hill or AO
  8. Best Walkon: Gary Hall
  9. The most Josh Paciest
    1. CJ Fair
    2. Josh Pace

Last edited:
Not unanimous but a large number of people's favorite players come from the team that got them hooked.

Just an observation.
true.

i was also a bc fan back then. favorite player was john bagley, then jay murphy.

same with the johnnies and Chris Mullin.

Got you hooked on SU basketball? - Looking at those team photos, I was hooked Pearl's freshman year in 1983-84. That's my first really clear recollection. I remember Sonny Spera and Andre Hawkins came to Donlin Drive Elem to talk to us and I got their autographs (still have it of course). I remember going to the Big East vs USA All Star Game at the end of the year at Manley to see Kerins, Waldron and Sam Perkins. I vaguely remember watching the 3 overtime Leo Rautins tip-in game (mainly because my dad was watching it and delaying us from going to dinner) but 1983-84 was really when I start remembering pretty clearly. I can't believe it's been 30 years of being a hard core fan now. I don't take losses quite as hard as I used to (thankfully) but I just can't imagine my life without Syracuse basketball and football. (like most the board) I just get so much enjoyment out of it.

Which team did you first see in person? 1986-87

Which one was your favorite? I am partial to the Owens/Coleman years. Never made the final 4 and maybe over the years my mind has overestimated how awesome they were, but those years were fun times.

If you could pick one of these uniforms for a retro game which would it be? Always been partial to the cursive Syracuse

Who was your first favorite player? Don't really have one actually. I like anyone that got the most out of their ability and stayed out of trouble off the court. I guess if I had to pick, it would be Lawrence Moten. I hate that some people always think of the Arkansas game when he is our all time leading scorer and he really helped us (along with John Wallace) get through the probation years.

Last edited:

Click

Of those I'd have to say 1965-66, when we almost scored 100ppg. Actually that team piqued my interest. The next year's team that started out 19-2 when it was supposed to be a rebuilding year was the one I gave my heart to. That was the first year I hid a transistor radio under my pillow to listen to games after Mom insisted I go to bed because I had school in the morning, (school?!?). It was also the first year I cried myself to sleep when they lost.

As to uniforms, I like the short shorts and script uniforms of the 80's. All white at home and all orange on the road. Of course, I also liked the players we had in them at the time, especially Sherman.

I wish they had all the numbers from at least 1965-66. This site has a bit more:
http://www.orangehoops.org/Bball.htm

Last edited:
got hooked by freshman team in '67-68, all of whom I eventually knew:
Bill Smith, Bill Finney, Bob McDaniel, Tom Green
ALL teams were my favorite

Got hooked in the mid and late 70s with the Louie and Bouie show. Love Roosevelt's large head of hair. Throw in Shackleford, Schayes, Eddie Moss, Marty Headd, and Hal Cohen. What a team, a time when most folks stayed all 4 years.

got hooked by freshman team in '67-68, all of whom I eventually knew:
Bill Smith, Bill Finney, Bob McDaniel, Tom Green
ALL teams were my favorite

I still dream of a starting line-up of Tom Green, Ernie Austin, Bob McDaniel, Wayne Ward and Bill Smith. That team could compete today.

true.

i was also a bc fan back then. favorite player was john bagley, then jay murphy.

same with the johnnies and Chris Mullin.

I grew up in 'Cuse so bled orange, and only orange, from day 1.

You mentioned basement in a post recently so I assume you have vacated the city.

Where did u move?

I grew up in 'Cuse so bled orange, and only orange, from day 1.

You mentioned basement in a post recently so I assume you have vacated the city.

Where did u move?
Springsteen Country.

Near Giants Stadium, in Montclair.

funny thing is...as the crow flies im further from Giants Stadium than the UES, but now it takes me 15 minutes to get there instead of 55.

miss my easy subway ride Yankee & MSG games/concerts.....

but it was time to retire.

Jeter out lasted me by 2 years.

Springsteen Country.

Near Giants Stadium, in Montclair.

funny thing is...as the crow flies im further from Giants Stadium than the UES, but now it takes me 15 minutes to get there instead of 55.

miss my easy subway ride Yankee & MSG games/concerts...

but it was time to retire.

Jeter out lasted me by 2 years.

Nice area. Great restaurants

Midtown direct makes for a nice commute.

My daughter plays at Montclair state periodically and Montclair and SDA r in my son's league.

I'm north in Bergen county.