Which would you consider more successful over a ten year span? | Syracusefan.com

Which would you consider more successful over a ten year span?

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
Note: these are not based on real teams. Merely hypothetical.

Option 1:
Year 1: 19 wins/NIT
Year 2: 20 wins/NIT
Year 3: 27wins/Loss in elite 8
Year 4: 31 wins/NCAA champs
Year 5: 19 wins/NIT
Year 6: 26 wins/Loss in round of 32
Year 7: 22 wins/Loss in round of 32
Year 8: 19 wins/NIT
Year 9: 23 wins/loss in sweet 16
Year 10: 24 wins/loss in round of 32

1 championship, 1 30-win season, 4 NITs, 1 Elite 8

Option 2:
Year 1: 30 wins/Loss in elite 8
Year 2: 29 wins/Loss in Sweet 16
Year 3: 30 wins/Loss in final 4
Year 4: 28 wins/Loss in Sweet 16
Year 5: 29 wins/Loss in elite 8
Year 6: 30 wins/Loss in elite 8
Year 7: 27 wins/Loss in Sweet 16
Year 8: 28 wins/Loss in Sweet 16
Year 9: 32 wins/Loss in final 4
Year 10: 27 wins/Loss in Sweet 16

NCAAs 10 straight years, 4 30-win seasons, 2 final 4s, 3 elite 8s

The consistently excellent team with the string of Sweet 16 runs is certainly the stronger program and is more successful by any measure other than national championships. It is also probably more likely to win a championship in the future.

The more interesting question would have been "which 10 years would you sign up for as a fan?"

The 2nd team, because of the consistency. The first team looks like they struck gold with a couple of hot young players and probably a decent draw in the tourney, but never built a program.

Note: these are not based on real teams. Merely hypothetical.

Option 1:
Year 1: 19 wins/NIT
Year 2: 20 wins/NIT
Year 3: 27wins/Loss in elite 8
Year 4: 31 wins/NCAA champs
Year 5: 19 wins/NIT
Year 6: 26 wins/Loss in round of 32
Year 7: 22 wins/Loss in round of 32
Year 8: 19 wins/NIT
Year 9: 23 wins/loss in sweet 16
Year 10: 24 wins/loss in round of 32

1 championship, 1 30-win season, 4 NITs, 1 Elite 8

Option 2:
Year 1: 30 wins/Loss in elite 8
Year 2: 29 wins/Loss in Sweet 16
Year 3: 30 wins/Loss in final 4
Year 4: 28 wins/Loss in Sweet 16
Year 5: 29 wins/Loss in elite 8
Year 6: 30 wins/Loss in elite 8
Year 7: 27 wins/Loss in Sweet 16
Year 8: 28 wins/Loss in Sweet 16
Year 9: 32 wins/Loss in final 4
Year 10: 27 wins/Loss in Sweet 16

NCAAs 10 straight years, 4 30-win seasons, 2 final 4s, 3 elite 8s

My goal is for SU to win the title. Give me the title over anything else. Especially not knowing what has happened in this hypothetical prior or what will happen after. You always take the title.

I agree MikeSU. You play to win national titles. One title is better than zero titles.

Put it this way, which option would you rather Syracuse have for the next 10 years? Gimme a title and a couple nit's and a couple early NCAA exits over getting to sweet 16 and elite 8 every year with 0 titles.

Good question. How about this comparison over the past 20 years with two real teams. Who would you rather be?
Team A: Indiana
  • 14 NCAA appearances
  • 14-14 NCAA record
  • 3 Sweet Sixteens
  • 1 Final Four
  • no championships
  • no 30 win seasons
  • 11 20 win seasons
  • 4 losing seasons
  • 6 1st round exits
  • has 5 National Championships in their history
Team B: Syracuse
  • 16 NCAA appearances
  • 32-15 NCAA record
  • 9 Sweet Sixteens
  • 3 Final Fours
  • 1 championship
  • 4 30 win seasons
  • 19 20 win seasons
  • no losing seasons
  • 3 st round exists
  • has 1 National Championship in their history

Option 1 sure has a lot of early exits and NITs. I don't think I would be happy with that despite the 1 NC. I think I would have to go with Option 2.

Put it this way, which option would you rather Syracuse have for the next 10 years? Gimme a title and a couple nit's and a couple early NCAA exits over getting to sweet 16 and elite 8 every year with 0 titles.

That was my initial reaction as well. However, when I thought about it a bit more, I changed my stance. I would rather have the consistent team that has a chance to win it all every year and comes close several times. That would make watching the entire season fun (until the very end of course under this scenario). A team that just strikes gold once with four NIT appearances in 10 years wouldn't be nearly as fun to watch.

For me, as much as I want 'Cuse to win another title, I love the notion that we could win it all which comes just about every year (at least lately) than where we are (at least presently) with our football team where we know that there is less than a 1% chance of a championship, very little chance at a conference championship and perhaps a little bit above 50/50 of going to a decent bowl. Even if we strike it rich 10 years from now but then slip back to where we are now, I would rather have a team that is consistently in the top 25 and challenges for championships. I don't know about others here, but that would make it much more fun for me to follow and watch. Give me the dream, even if it never comes true.

The national championship in option 1 is quite attractive but my goodness, all those NIT appearances. We might as well shut down the board. Everyone would be banned!

Personally, I love being in the hunt. Of course I'd love to close the deal at some point, but being in the hunt year in and year out is special and is so much preferable to that ugly record with the fluke title I can't believe people can't immediately see it.

to the OP: coach of Team 1 gets fired in year 10; coach of Team 2 either receives a big extension or is grabbed by another school with a hefty pay raise.

We Are Syracuse said:
Option 1... Nothing beats 03
Exactly. 1 title, 5 nits, 9 2nd round appearances, and 5 sweet 16s beats 20 straight years of elite 8s.

Exactly. 1 title, 5 nits, 9 2nd round appearances, and 5 sweet 16s beats 20 straight years of elite 8s.

I agree. This makes me hate UConn more...3 championships, 5 final fours, and a lot more crap than us. However, that first number (that could move to 4) makes them appear to be a better program overall than us.

Their fans suck, they are in a sh11111t league now, but they have the hardware that makes my blood boil

I agree. This makes me hate UConn more...3 championships, 5 final fours, and a lot more crap than us. However, that first number (that could move to 4) makes them appear to be a better program overall than us.

Their fans suck, they are in a sh11111t league now, but they have the hardware that makes my blood boil
But, see, now you're changing the parameters. If you put 3 (possibly 4) NCs in the mix and take away a couple of NITs (e.g. UConn) you're no longer talking about only 1 NC and not making it past the 1st weekend in 7 of the other 9 years. The fact is, they have been a much more successful program than SU over the last 20 years.

Define "Titles". NCAA title? Big East/ACC Title? NIT Title? CIT Title? Maui Invitational? Carrier Classic? We have won a lot of titles.

The ones that Uconn, Duke, UNC etc. have a lot of and we do not.

Eli Manning can miss the playoffs for 5 years in a row & this Giants fan will give him a bye.
Its alot easier to lick your wounds when you have that one shining moment to reflect on.
Its all about March and NC's, IMO. The rest is just rhetoric.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom