Which would you consider more successful over a ten year span? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Which would you consider more successful over a ten year span?

To me, it would depend on where you're starting from. Do you already have a NC, or not? From my SU fan perspective, I would rather have Option 2. If 2003 had never happened, I don't know which I would prefer.

No coach is in it to rack up Sweet 16s, and two Final Fours without the title isn't better than one with a ring. :noidea:

Coach Orange said:
No coach is in it to rack up Sweet 16s, and two Final Fours without the title isn't better than one with a ring. :noidea:

Your sentence lacks the necessary structure to make sense. I don't know what it means.

Team one is pretty much Maryland.

That's what I said to myself when I saw it, that's close to what Maryland has done.

To answer your question Lawrinson: That's a tough call, I'd probably go with option 2 being more successful but it's close. I will say this, I would much rather be a fan of school 2 because a) the seasons generally would be substantially more enjoyable and more importantly b) the future is far brighter.

When was the last time, since the field expanded to 64+, that a program made 10 consecutive Sweet 16 appearances? That's a pretty impressive feat.

4 NITs in 10 years? Yuck.

Your sentence lacks the necessary structure to make sense. I don't know what it means.

Why not? I'm referring to the hypothetical resumes that were posted and the question asked.

My sentence points out that no coach wants Sweet 16s. That isn't why they are in the profession--to brag about their several Sweet 16 trips that never amount to championships.

Along with that, the OP lists two resumes: two Final Fours for option 2, but only one for option 1. However, the one for option 1 ends in a championship. Only making the FF once but leaving with a ring/trophy is better than two empty trips.

Last edited:
People remember rings over 30 win seasons.

Recruits think of rings before 30 win seasons.

The media loves rings more than 30 win seasons.

Fans, whether they admit it or not, love rings more than 30 win seasons.

Ask Wichita St.

Will people care a year or 2 from now that they nearly went undefeated? Nah.

Number 2. Recruits don't care about past championships - they care about being relevant on a big stage on a program that competes. 40 tournament wins >> 10 over a decade.

Number two is essentially Roy Williams' Kansas teams. Lots of final fours/championship games, consistently in sweet 16 but never won a title. Much better than Maryland.

As a sidenote, here's a really cool site that shows tournament results of every D1 team.

Put it this way, which option would you rather Syracuse have for the next 10 years? Gimme a title and a couple nit's and a couple early NCAA exits over getting to sweet 16 and elite 8 every year with 0 titles.

And the national title would keep everyone satisfied during the NITs and 1st round exits. :)

Not. :mad:

And the national title would keep everyone satisfied during the NITs and 1st round exits. :)

Not. :mad:

Sadly, we have fans now that aren't satisfied with Sweet 16 and Elite 8 exits. Imagine these fans' frustration if the team didn't win the 2003 championship.

I want option 2.

Basketball is a game of probability, espeicailly in a 1 and done tournament. Option 2 has a program that is built for present and long term success. Option 1 struck gold once but is likley irrevalent most years and is much less likely to win titles in the future than option 2.

People should grasp by now that the best team usually doesn't win the national title. However, the best team has the best % chance to win the national title. If you consistently give yourself a decent % chance to win the titles they will likely come over time.

Keep the run going of seeds like this: 3, 1, 3, 1, 4, 3

Titles, FF's etc... will come.

Who cares if one time NC State won it as a 9 seed? If they play that tournament 1000 times they likely win it once. Better to be in the hunt every year than to have a fluke title.

do bills fans care that they went to 4 straight super bowls? i guarantee they'd have rather gone 0-16 for 3 of those years and won the super bowl in the other year.
I was going to post this. As a Bills fan, although those four years were a great run, I would have rather had one win and three years of missing the playoffs as opposed to four years losing in the SB.

With some of the what have you done for me lately posters here, this board would explode if option 1 was SU. How many comments have we seen complaining about how SU never does anything in the tournament or does not make FF4's like UConn - forgetting of course that we just made one last year.

Sadly, we have fans now that aren't satisfied with Sweet 16 and Elite 8 exits. Imagine these fans' frustration if the team didn't win the 2003 championship.

It's really a false dichotomy. Things may work out that the team that is not more consistently successful wins a title and the team that is does not but the more consistently successful is the one more likely to get a championship. There's not such thing as doing things to produce consistent success that somehow prevent you from winning a title.

If the point of this is that we should be trying to be Option 1 and not Option 2, that's not a valid point.

:crazy:

Yes because everyone here was so happy and satisfied in March 2008, when our previous 10 seasons included one title, two Sweet 16s, two second round losses, two first round losses and three NITs.

If the point of this is that we should be trying to be Option 1 and not Option 2, that's not a valid point.

Don't look that hard at it. I just wanted to gauge the posters here and see what they determined to be more successful: A wildly erratic team that strikes gold and wins it all, or a consistently good team that just can't get over the hump.

The problem is we have only 2 elite 8s (1 win and 1 loss) and 1 final four since then. That is just not cutting it. We haven't even given ourselves a change getting there. UConn lost to George Mason (pathetic loss, but still in an elite 8), lost in 2002 in the elite 8 to Maryland and then gave themselves a chance and won in the elite 8 4 times since then. We've only given ourselves a shot twice since 2003.

People inflate the odds of winning a championship way too high. Year in year out the odds are probably like 3-4 percent, maybe less. It's not like the pro leagues. So a whole season is a failure because you failed the last 3-4 percent? Silly.

I bet most posters on here could not get half of the title winners since SU won without looking.

People inflate the odds of winning a championship way too high. Year in year out the odds are probably like 3-4 percent, maybe less. It's not like the pro leagues. So a whole season is a failure because you failed the last 3-4 percent? Silly.

I bet most posters on here could not get half of the title winners since SU won without looking.

I disagree, there are more of the usual suspects winning championships in recent years, than not. Off hand Duke, Florida (a recent usual suspect), Kansas, NC, and the team I can't stand UConn comes to mind. These are not shocking names to win titles. Maybe the reason a lot of us can't remember those who have won after us, because a lot of them did it more than once, so the memories may overlap.

Uconn
Unc
Florida
Florida
Kansas
unc
duke
uconn
UK
Louisville

I can give you the final fours since 1985 too. But I'm a freak.

People inflate the odds of winning a championship way too high. Year in year out the odds are probably like 3-4 percent, maybe less. It's not like the pro leagues. So a whole season is a failure because you failed the last 3-4 percent, maybe less. Silly.

No one is equating not winning the championship as total failure, but to pretend that the cbb season isn't now mostly about March, is to be naïve or choose to have blinders on. Again, no one said it was fair- but it is the reality.
As others have pointed out the "usual suspects" are the ones who are winning titles. SU fits into the winners category for most regular seasons, the problem is we haven't cashed in as well as we should, IMHO, for postseasons.
Meanwhile we see programs that are on our level doing much better than us in March. If we consider ourselves to be on that level of UConn, UL, MSU, Fl, UA, etc...then surely wanting more than a FF every 10 years and 1 NC, isn't too much to ask?

Last edited:
Why not? I'm referring to the hypothetical resumes that were posted and the question asked.

My sentence points out that no coach wants Sweet 16s. That isn't why they are in the profession--to brag about their several Sweet 16 trips that never amount to championships.

Along with that, the OP lists two resumes: two Final Fours for option 2, but only one for option 1. However, the one for option 1 ends in a championship. Only making the FF once but leaving with a ring/trophy is better than two empty trips.
Interesting. I was reading on my phone and it came out all messed up. Reading it now on my laptop, it reads very clearly. My apologies.

Uconn
Unc
Florida
Florida
Kansas
unc
duke
uconn
UK
Louisville

I can give you the final fours since 1985 too. But I'm a freak.
Blue bloods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom