Whigham update... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Whigham update...

Could this have any sort of resemblance to getting hit in the chest right in between heart beats??
Like that lax injury last year with either JD or FM?

Would not be similar. When something like that happens the heart goes into a funny rythym that doesn't pump blood. Generally that does not cause pain. Really not sure what it could have been. Wilkes glanced him right below the sternum (breastbone). This would have been around the area where he previously had surgery. Good to hear though he is expected back in syracuse tomorrow.

This is much better than what I thought ... Imagined a fractured bone with marrow causing blood clot or blockage.

Whigham is a tough dude, really happy to hear this isn't anything worse. Very happy to hear that.

It looked square to the sternum/ribs. I was thinking punctured lung or something. The weird part was espn not showing it because of graphic nature.

It looked square to the sternum/ribs. I was thinking punctured lung or something. The weird part was espn not showing it because of graphic nature.

they later said they thought it was an elbow injury but were wrong

I was thinking punctured lung also. Thoughts go out to him and his family.

Julian must have some serious flexibility in the arms to confuse the telecast, who can play the replay over and over, like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This kid has had tough road medically to stay on the footbal field. God bless him and his family. Here is to quick speedy recovery and encouragement for next season. Hang in there Julian.

Most likely a fractured sternum or xiphoid process, which can be serious given how close it is to the heart and the potential for internal bleeding and worse heart arrythmias. Gonna assume the latter didn't happen and the former is under control and that he's out of the woods and good to go. Good to go meaning not life threatening, but not so much for playing again this year. If it's just bruised then maybe the (hopefully) bowl game if they deem the bleeding part not serious and under control.

If he does return they need to modify his pads to better cover the area involved.

Last edited:
Most likely a fractured sternum or xiphoid process, which can be serious given how close it is to the heart and the potential for internal bleeding and worse heart arrythmias. Gonna assume the latter didn't happen and the former is under control and that he's out of the woods and good to go. Good to go meaning not life threatening, but not so much for playing again this year. If it's just bruised then maybe the (hopefully) bowl game if they deem the bleeding part not serious and under control.

If he does return they need to modify his pads to better cover the area involved.

Frankly, for the first time in my football watching life, my reaction yesterday was "F" the game and the season and whether Julian can play again this year or any year - just make sure the young man is okay.

ABC said that and then showed the replay a few more times.

Not that I don't love a good telecast bashing when I see one, but I think they were able to zoom in and get a close up of Whigham while he was down. That's what they didn't show, because when the put him in the stretcher, they had a towel draped over that entire area so that nobody could see anything, that usually is only done when something is really quite gross.

Would not have coughed/puked up blood with this though. At least that's what Esk said- blood was coming out of this mouth. I have to think its related to his past surgery. You can get something called a Mallory Weiss tear. Its a tear in the stomach from lots of retching (like after too many at the Village Tavern). Maybe his altered anatomy caused something like this that sealed itself back up. But generally speaking the only way you can get blood out of your mouth is from your nose, trachea (windpipe), or stomach/esophagus.

Be nice if we could do a board get well card to him.

Would not have coughed/puked up blood with this though. At least that's what Esk said- blood was coming out of this mouth. I have to think its related to his past surgery. You can get something called a Mallory Weiss tear. Its a tear in the stomach from lots of retching (like after too many at the Village Tavern). Maybe his altered anatomy caused something like this that sealed itself back up. But generally speaking the only way you can get blood out of your mouth is from your nose, trachea (windpipe), or stomach/esophagus.
Yeah that could be it especially given the history but, and it sounds like you know already the ribs are attached to that area and this is in the differential with the trauma they can cause the internals.

http://www.freemd.com/broken-sternum/home-care-warning-signs.htm
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-blunt-chest-trauma.htm

If it's related to the old problem have to think he's done this year. Edit: sounds like they got it narrowed down to the old issue or blunt force contusion trauma though the report says pain with breathing so it must have some sternal/rib involvementinvolvement. btw are you a Hamilton guy with the VT reference?

Last edited:
Yeah that could be it especially given the history but, and it sounds like you know already the ribs are attached to that area and this is in the differential with the trauma they can cause the internals.

http://www.freemd.com/broken-sternum/home-care-warning-signs.htm
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-blunt-chest-trauma.htm

If it's related to the old problem have to think he's done this year. btw are you a Hamilton guy with the VT reference?
VT could be Marcellus too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom