While I will give Scott Shafer a chance as the HC of SU I think back to when WVU hired Bill Stewart | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

While I will give Scott Shafer a chance as the HC of SU I think back to when WVU hired Bill Stewart

Candidates I would have atleast called Bob Diaco, Tom Herman, Dan Mullen, Randy Edsall, Chad Morris etc. I am not saying Shafer shouldn't have been picked, but atleast look at all possible candidates.

Randy Edsall? Holy f*ckballs!

if marrone did interview at tenn like some say-gross had plenty of time to do a preliminary search -

i doubt very much gross was as blindsided as we fans were-

if his 4 years of defense wasnt enough to convert you to his camp-

your just a guy who wants a name more than the right choice -

he earned his shot
Our defense has been decent, but hasn't been dominant. We are comparing Shafer's defenses to GRob's defenses that isn't enough for me. Has SS done a good job? Yes, but he was given the keys to the car to fast for my liking. Again, my opinion is not the WORD it is my opinion. It is healthy to have legitimate disagreements. All I wanted was a full job search, as we found out in the chat on Monday the previous search committee was 5 or 6 people it was Dr. Gross, 2 BoT, 2-3 former players. This search was conducted in 48 hours. Our defense has never been great under Shafer I always hold my breath on 3rd and long. Has SS done enough to the HC I am not sure. I am not giving up on the program one bit, and will keep my season tickets I don't get to personally use each week. I didn't say SS wasn't the right guy or I wanted a bigger name I just thought the process was done quickly. This week was a quiet period for recruiting so Dr. Gross wasn't going to save recruiting this week I just feel SU rushed the process.

if marrone did interview at tenn like some say-gross had plenty of time to do a preliminary search -

i doubt very much gross was as blindsided as we fans were-

if his 4 years of defense wasnt enough to convert you to his camp-

your just a guy who wants a name more than the right choice -

he earned his shot
Wow. I actually agree with you on something. Solid post.

[quote="bnoro, post: 485813, member: 71"]Wow. I actually agree with you on something. Solid post.[/quote]
LOL...Me too.

Roscoe, have you been drinking the kool-aid? ;-)

After 4 years with Shafer, either you know he's the right guy or not. If you don't, you do a search. If you do, you hire the guy pronto.

What... This place is ******* nuts. Yes because Stewart and Shafer are so much alike... Stewart was 60 something.. Shafer will do just fine. In addition, how do you know Gross didn't reach out to a few guys... Like I said, show me realistic hire at this point in time with a better resume and then on top of that show me a coach with a better understanding of what it's like to actually coach at a small private school in the modern day landscape... Can't wait to see your list of candidates.

Well why didn't Gross get Golden or this OC or DC, etc.? I think Shafer stacks up just fine versus any current DC or OC out there who we had a realistic shot of hiring, risk with hiring any flavor of the month OC/ DC. Short of hiring a well established HC from another program, Doc made the right hire for the program

Great post.

People need to understand, Gross knew that there was a good chance Marrone was leaving since before the bowl game. He was not blindsided.

This is conjecture, but my guess is that Shafter taking over has been a potential plan for a while now. I think they reached out to some blue sky candidates and then when those didn't happen executed on that plan. And reading between the lines there was no debate or disapointment with the succession plan, Shafer would get the HC job and Hackett would get an adjustment. If they were to the point of signing contracts Monday afternoon, there were already agreements in principle.

Yet Holgorsens record isn't much better than BS.. Interesting, they have replaced a solid defense with a really good offense, it's sexier sure, but it's not great

Bill Stewart never went 7-6. He never won less than 9 games.

fwiw I like Scott a lot. I liked Bill a lot, too. One of the nicest guys I've ever met in a mostly otherwise sleazebag profession full of egomaniacs. What they did to him at WVU was a disgrace. This is NOT a knock on the poster, as he has every right to be skeptical. Just saying every situation is different.

if there was a succession plan in place for Doug Marrone your nuts if you think Shafer would have been the guy over Hackett.

If Gross told Rahme the truth, Hackett was about to sign a contract. Are you saying he didn't ink a deal to be HC so he could go be OC at Buffalo?

Great post.

People need to understand, Gross knew that there was a good change Marrone was leaving since before the bowl game. He was not blindsided.

This is conjecture, but my guess is that Shafter taking over has been a potential plan for a while now. I think they reached out to some blue sky candidates and then when those didn't happen executed on that plan. And reading between the lines there was no debate or disapointment with the succession plan, Shafer would get the HC job and Hackett would get an adjustment. If they were to the point of signing contracts Monday afternoon, there were already agreements in principle.

IF there was a succession plan in place then why did Marrone meddle by taking Hackett? There has been a lot of miscommunication in the last few days with Hackett denying to recruits that Marrone was interviewing, Little calling recruits to tell them Hackett was staying, etc. It seems to me either they really didn't plan this very well or they were outright lying. That is disturbing.

It's not over either, this earthquake still has some aftershocks in it.

If Gross told Rahme the truth, Hackett was about to sign a contract. Are you saying he didn't ink a deal to be HC so he could go be OC at Buffalo?
I believe Tep's point was there would have been a succession plan in place before Doug Marrone left. I believe that is what he/she was stating with their opinion. If there was a succession plan in place before Marrone left I believe Doug would have wanted Hackett over Shafer. That is what I thought anyway I could be wrong.

IF there was a succession plan in place then why did Marrone meddle by taking Hackett? There has been a lot of miscommunication in the last few days with Hackett denying to recruits that Marrone was interviewing, Little calling recruits to tell them Hackett was staying, etc. It seems to me either they really didn't plan this very well or they were outright lying. That is disturbing.

A succession plan is an internal plan. For example, Doug Marrone is the highest position in the SU Football hierarchy. If he leaves unexpectedly, obviously it's going to cause some havoc and you succession plan in order to prevent that. You wouldn't succession plan for an assistant because those roles are relatively easy to fill (compared with a Head Coach or Coordinator).

You look at different scenarios (i.e. Marrone leaves, who on the staff has the skill set or is worthy of a promition, Hackett leaves, etc) and identify who on the staff has the skill sets to be successful in those roles and would be ready to be promoted. If you don't identify anyone, then clearly you're going to have to go outside the organization.

I'm simply offering a different scenario as to why the search was concluded so quickly (Shafer being identified as a successor) other than Dr Gross doing an irresponsible search. And there's a big difference between giving the benefit of the doubt until something factual comes out based on a couple of possible scenarios and accusing Gross of being irresponsible in his search process based on nothing factual.

I look at it this way -- what was WVU to do? They hired a guy who came in and completely remade their program from top to bottom. He had unprecedented success. He leaves and what do you do? Essentially hire a guy you think has a pretty good shot of sustaining at least a good share of that success or go outside and take a chance a coordinator or up-and-coming young coach? I'm not sure what the answer is but I really don't think you can blame them that much for hiring bill stewart (who, by the way, went 28-12 in three+ years -- it's not like he was an abject disaster).

I think the same is true for SU. You have a program that endured some truly uninspiring play near the end of the P era, then hit a nadir in the Grob era, then limped along inching its way back toward respectability under DM until finally appearing break through in the last 7 weeks. So what do you do? Interview a bunch of guys, maybe settle on one of them or hire the experienced DC who has a good resume, has produced some good defenses and actually wants the job?

I don't really think there's a *right* or, by extension, a *wrong* answer here.
good post!!!

Please remember that after minny people were calling for hackers head... He then with probably the assistance of his mentor caught lightning in a bottle the last 6-7 week. Again, Shafers body of work at Syracuse still bodes pretty strong, he has had some great games and stretches as well, are people forgetting the rutgers game in 09, his defense in 2010. Shafer has done a good job, knows Syracuse, has the resume, and represents himself and the university with a lot of class. He deserves the opportunity as I said he has earned it.

When Shafer has had talent on d like hack had this year on offense I think the results are essentially similar, all that and 20 years more experience. Experience that comes in handy on day to day stuff of running a bcs program, probably stuff that Internet dorks don't post about like myself but who wants to read about that

Yeah, some of you really need to lay off on the "What, YOU F*CKING IDIOT?!?!?" comments. I disagree with the OP because his premise is based on a total lack of knowledge of what Gross's process was.

But some of you need to relax. Not every post requires SHOUTING someone down.

Yeah, some of you really need to lay off on the "What, YOU F*CKING IDIOT?!?!?" comments. I disagree with the OP because his premise is based on a total lack of knowledge of what Gross's process was.

But some of you need to relax. Not every post requires SHOUTING someone down.

This is the WORST POST EVER!!!

I don't even know how you TIE YOUR OWN SHOES!!

I miss Cali.

If this was true, then I am not surprised Doug Marrone left and feel Dr. Gross hopefully conducted a true vetting process. I hope he confirms this during the 12:30 press conference tomorrow for Scott Shafer.

It's been pretty much common knowledge to anyone close to the program that Daryl Gross, Cantor and FHCDM did not see eye to eye starting about 2 years ago and butted heads including from what I hear had "screaming matches". I am sure that Gross and Cantor both knew that Doug would leave if offered a head coaching job in the NFL and knew or should have known years in advance.

Candidates I would have atleast called Bob Diaco, Tom Herman, Dan Mullen, Randy Edsall, Chad Morris etc. I am not saying Shafer shouldn't have been picked, but atleast look at all possible candidates.
I'm late to this thread, but Randy Edsall? Seriously?

No thanks.

If they had a plan, some weird stuff has happened.

If they didn't have a plan, some weird stuff has happened.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

It's been pretty much common knowledge to anyone close to the program that Daryl Gross, Cantor and FHCDM did not see eye to eye starting about 2 years ago and butted heads including from what I hear had "screaming matches". I am sure that Gross and Cantor both knew that Doug would leave if offered a head coaching job in the NFL and knew or should have known years in advance.

Back when Buzz was funneling money from the Athletic Dept. I really wish Jake and P had some shouting matches with him instead of playing good soldiers.

Okay I was asked for names you don't like Edsall fine but I would atleast contact him. The dog eat dog mentality of some of you are joke. Who tbe heck are you people I realize now I am not welcome I will lurk and not post you win GoSu and IB you guys are all knowing anybody who disagrees with you are idiots and deserves to have their fandom revoked. Peace out Alsacs is out.