While we wait, a reminder that Eric Dungey is really, really talented. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

While we wait, a reminder that Eric Dungey is really, really talented.

If the OL can give Dungey time to look at more than 2 quick peeks at his receivers and he has faith in them to do so we may see a lot of scoring this year. I agree his arm is average but his mobility is above average and if he can stay behind the LOS and keep his head up these receivers need to keep working and get open. I don't want the receivers blocking on pass plays and peeking if Dungey takes off..I want them to burn the DB's and to work to get open. Those that work hard play.

You know what that video told me besides how good #2 is? We're gonna miss #7.

Oh I agree completely. This is why I've been holding my breath on Custis ever since he's stepped on campus. It's likely wishful thinking, but I've been waiting for the receiving monster inside of him to wake up and get after it. Amba was a true talent with some of the best ball skills I've ever seen.

Oh I agree completely. This is why I've been holding my breath on Custis ever since he's stepped on campus. It's likely wishful thinking, but I've been waiting for the receiving monster inside of him to wake up and get after it. Amba was a true talent with some of the best ball skills I've ever seen.
This offense also does a great job of getting wide outs single coverage. Amba is a good receiver who looked great because of the system IMO. I love Eric but at the same time I can wait to see what Devito will do with the one on one opportunities the wide splits create. Eric's lack of arm strength somewhat diminishes the ability of the offense to use the entire field.

Leadership?

Yeah I need to see a QB taking this team from the expected win total to a higher total based on a "get on my back" mentality. Guys like Flutie had that leadership quality. I'm not saying he doesn't have it but i need to see it over a complete season.

Regarding the NFL, I see nothing so far that would make an NFL evaluator want Eric Dungey so far. I think we forget how good Nassib got at the tail end of 2012 to put him into that discussion. Maybe Dungey gets there as well but to base it on what we've seen so far is kinda foolish I think.

Friendly reminder that nobody knew Amba was capable of what happened last year, especially after watching him at Maryland. No reason numbers can't be put up by others in this offense. It's a system. Just my beacon of optimism on a Wednesday morning!

People aren't used to seeing what they saw last year.

Amba was an undrafted free agent who hasn't caught a ball in preseason. He isn't likely to make an NFL roster.

We may miss him, but our offense is still going to run at a level much higher than what we're used to seeing.

As for Dungey -- he's the best college QB we've had since McNabb. Nassib was a better pro prospect than he was a college QB. I'm super pumped for this year, largely due to #2.
This post right here is a great observation. I loved AET as much as everyone else on this board, but for being as dominant as he was for us last year, it should be a real eye opener that he hasn't even shown up at the next level. I think we are all underestimating Dino's system, and I can't wait to see who breaks out for us this year.

Listen, I love Dungey. But those two are far better pro prospects than Eric. They both have huge arms and progress the field nicely with their reads. Eric doesn't have that arm strength and really is a two read guy right now.
ok - but how well did they progress the field with their reads after their sophomore seasons? I bet they weren't looking like NFL QBs heading into their junior seasons in college. Personally - I'll take Dungey over either of them given what I've seen so far.

ok - but how well did they progress the field with their reads after their sophomore seasons? I bet they weren't looking like NFL QBs heading into their junior seasons in college. Personally - I'll take Dungey over either of them given what I've seen so far.
Not to mention that the OL was soooo bad last year that I'm surprised he had time to make it his second read.

This entire "lack of arm strength" argument is ridiculous. Occasionally, Dungey lets loose with a wobbly duck that is the direct result of poor technique rather than arm strength. Imo, ED has more than enough arm strength to make all the throws. It's more about accuracy timing and touch.

If he stays healthy, he will be a far better prospect than Nassib was.

Last edited:
Listen, Eric is a hell of a college QB. That does not always translate to being a better professional prospect. There are things that Eric does at this level that he will not be able to get away with in the NFL.

I would love for him to be the next great quarterback to come out of Syracuse University. Right now he does not exhibit the skill set that is necessary in today's NFL game. I don't see him driving the ball into tight windows 15 to 20 yards down the field. I am not sure he has the physical capabilities to do that. That doesn't mean that he is a bad football player, In fact he is the best quarterback we have had at this level in quite some time.

The things that he does here will get him killed at the next level. He would have to go through his progression some much quicker and not be so quick to start running.

Yeah I need to see a QB taking this team from the expected win total to a higher total based on a "get on my back" mentality. Guys like Flutie had that leadership quality. I'm not saying he doesn't have it but i need to see it over a complete season.

Regarding the NFL, I see nothing so far that would make an NFL evaluator want Eric Dungey so far. I think we forget how good Nassib got at the tail end of 2012 to put him into that discussion. Maybe Dungey gets there as well but to base it on what we've seen so far is kinda foolish I think.

Ahh. Different definition of leadership. I see it as "someone people will follow" which he's had since his freshman year.

Ascribing w/l in a team game to one player's ability to "lead" is faulty, IMO.

Listen, Eric is a hell of a college QB. That does not always translate to being a better professional prospect. There are things that Eric does at this level that he will not be able to get away with in the NFL.

I would love for him to be the next great quarterback to come out of Syracuse University. Right now he does not exhibit the skill set that is necessary in today's NFL game. I don't see him driving the ball into tight windows 15 to 20 yards down the field. I am not sure he has the physical capabilities to do that. That doesn't mean that he is a bad football player, In fact he is the best quarterback we have had at this level in quite some time.

The things that he does here will get him killed at the next level. He would have to go through his progression some much quicker and not be so quick to start running.

Agree on most everything. I'd just factor in that this is first time rolling into season 2 with the same system/OC as the previous year.

This system is also notorious at preparing QB's differently than what the NFL has been looking for. It doesn't mean he's incapable of making full field NFL reads - it just doesn't give you access to that tool box. He's smart and adaptive (he picked up the O his freshman year in one camp).

Dungeys throws some ugly passes lol. No spiral at all haha. But he is a player. Gonna be less big plays with AET and Estime gone. Gonna be more methodical moving the offense this year with Pierce, Ishmael, and Erv.

Dungeys throws some ugly passes lol. No spiral at all haha. But he is a player. Gonna be less big plays with AET and Estime gone. Gonna be more methodical moving the offense this year with Pierce, Ishmael, and Erv.

Johnson & Johnson, Moe Neal

I think it's too early to say we'll have fewer big plays. At times we were methodical last year with Philips getting 90 catches at less than 10 ypc. If the offense functions better with a running game that doesn't allow a defense to forget about it and we utilize the middle of the field more with Pierce, it may open up more space for the outside WRs this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see more big plays spread amongst more guys with nobody quite reaching the individual success that AET had last year.

He sure does. I know they've worked a ton on his mechanics in the offseason. We'll see if there have been any improvements soon enough. I'd be willing to bet that he's much improved this year.

Listen, I love Dungey. But those two are far better pro prospects than Eric. They both have huge arms and progress the field nicely with their reads. Eric doesn't have that arm strength and really is a two read guy right now.

Disagree, nassib was a one read guy and got drafted off the run that offense had his senior year. I love RN, but he was a one read qb with a cannon. ED, has vastly more moxy and feel for the game as RN didnt have much ad lib ability. ED , being 2 inches taller, faster, and with the intangibles is a top 2 rd guy given he stays healthy. Prayers:)

This offense also does a great job of getting wide outs single coverage. Amba is a good receiver who looked great because of the system IMO. I love Eric but at the same time I can wait to see what Devito will do with the one on one opportunities the wide splits create. Eric's lack of arm strength somewhat diminishes the ability of the offense to use the entire field.

You are vastly underrating ED's arm talent. This isnt 1995. The meathead approach of evaluating qbs is far gone. Its about coverage recognition, foot and arm mechanics and understandings where your guys will be, routes, and options etc. ED excels at that. His arm is plenty strong enough for the league given his size, speed, smarts, moxy, competitiveness, field vision, and leadership. :) go ED , just stay healthy:)

Disagree, nassib was a one read guy and got drafted off the run that offense had his senior year. I love RN, but he was a one read qb with a cannon. ED, has vastly more moxy and feel for the game as RN didnt have much ad lib ability. ED , being 2 inches taller, faster, and with the intangibles is a top 2 rd guy given he stays healthy. Prayers:)

Your lips to god's ears...

That being said, if he is drafted in the top two rounds I'll buy you a case of beer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom