Whirlwind 5 days | Syracusefan.com

Whirlwind 5 days

Marsh01

Living Legend
Hard to believe where we are.

Headed to Dayton on Wednesday morning (always been a bucket list to attend the first four games). Rolled the dice and hoped we won. Packed for 5 days but was coming home with a loss. At 49-42 we were thinking "oh shiet I dont want to drive all the way back to Syracuse right now". Somehow we pulled it off. Arena was smaller than I thought and looked like an old airport hanger from the 1940's from the outside. Decent sight lines and is a good spot for a game. Not much to do around the arena.

Left the arena and drove straight to Detroit. Ended up staying in Monroe which is about 40 minutes shy of the city. Got in about 3 am.

Having never been to Detroit I wasnt sure what to expect. It was all of what I thought. Dumpy, dirty, some areas around the arenas nice, very industrial and busy. Was surprised to see the hoops arena, baseball stadium and Ford Field right next to each other. Was even more surprised to find out that prior to these being built the stadiums were scattered all over the place with nothing being right downtown. Comerica Park looks like a great place to watch a game. Some decent bars around the arena to hang out at as well. Glad we stayed in the suburbs away from the city.

Little Caesars Arena is a decent venue. Seats on the upper level sucked and were very cramped. Ended up moving down in the second half of the TCU game as there was noone there basically. Found seats in the middle level for the Sparty game and it was easier to get comfortable.

As far as the games/ fans it was a mixed bag. Not many TCU fans at all. Some Butler fans, Purdue fans and a crap load of Sparty fans. Some were nice but most of them were very douchey as expected. Kind of "we are great (even thought we havent won anything in 18 years) and are above you". TCU fans for the most part were quiet and realized "damn we are TCU fans What." Butler fans were nice.

It was great to see us beat Jamie Dixon. God I hate that bastard. Not sure if anyone else was there but some SU fan (woman in her 50's probably) made a complete ass of herself the ENTIRE second half screaming "Hey Jamie I think Pitt is hiring again" literally 150 times in a 45 minute span. It wasnt funny the first time and certainly wasnt funny the 150th time she said it. Really embarrassing and the entire section was like what the hell lady shut it.

The Sparty game was great. Had to be 15,000 MSU fans in the building. Was surprised we didnt have a better showing but a decent amount of our fans showed up. I didnt hear any Lets go Orange chants chants which was a surprise. Sparty fans have become the worst fan base in america. Its my second time I have encountered these asshats in person the past 3 seasons. I was at the games in St Louis when they laid another egg against MTSU. They are very conceded, think their crap doesnt stink and are way better than you are. I was talking to a few people who said "oh we were rooting for you to beat TCU because we will maul your zone." I said to them "be careful what you wish for". They have these canned cheers that they do and BTW does EVERY Big 10 team have a cheer where they all stand up and continually clap in unison???? Of course they have the uber annoying GO GREEN...GO WHITE chant which drives me crazy.

They were so confident prior to the game and by the end were ready to slit their wrists. It was such a joy to watch the meltdown (different than the MTSU meltdown but still a great one nonetheless). When the game was over and we were walking out of our section they were none to pleased to see us stick our fingers in the air and scream "CUUUUUUSE" as we exited our section. They constantly (and I mean CONSTANTLY) complain about bad calls. Its like a foul should never be called against them. I have witnessed this many games not involving them.

I also found it odd that Purdue fans were cheering for Sparty. There was an older couple right next to us who were Purdue fans and they were openly cheering for MSU. Shocked me. You would never find a Cuse fan rooting for UNC to beat anyone. Must be a Big 10 thing.

Leaving the arena I felt like a King walking to my car. Listening to all of the Sparty fans piss and moan about how bad a coach Izzo was, how did we actually lose to Syracuse, how the Zone is a terrible defense was just great. I love watching bad fan bases at the lowest of low points. Turns me on.

And BTW if Jaren Jackson is a top 5 NBA pick then I am going to win the Masters in April. Kid is soft as charmin and I cant believe the NBA ( which I dont watch so maybe I am wrong) is high on this kid.

The best part is when BB went into the game they were like "who the hell is this kid?" By the end they were like "did we really just lose with a walk on in there for 7 minutes?"

The drive back to Syracuse via Canada was super easy. Great trip and its always great when you win.

Nice to see you marsh. Debated all week about doing up to Detroit for the games (easy-ish 3 hour drive from akron) but didn't pull trigger, partly because I wasn't sure where I would stay or if I wanted to spend entire weekend there, partly because I didn't want to be there in Detroit if we lost to their team.

Hindsite of course... Ugh! Oh well, enjoyed that game either way!

Headed to Dayton on Wednesday morning (always been a bucket list to attend the first four games). Rolled the dice and hoped we won. Packed for 5 days but was coming home with a loss. At 49-42 we were thinking "oh shiet I dont want to drive all the way back to Syracuse right now". Somehow we pulled it off. Arena was smaller than I thought and looked like an old airport hanger from the 1940's from the outside. Decent sight lines and is a good spot for a game. Not much to do around the arena.

Left the arena and drove straight to Detroit. Ended up staying in Monroe which is about 40 minutes shy of the city. Got in about 3 am.

Having never been to Detroit I wasnt sure what to expect. It was all of what I thought. Dumpy, dirty, some areas around the arenas nice, very industrial and busy. Was surprised to see the hoops arena, baseball stadium and Ford Field right next to each other. Was even more surprised to find out that prior to these being built the stadiums were scattered all over the place with nothing being right downtown. Comerica Park looks like a great place to watch a game. Some decent bars around the arena to hang out at as well. Glad we stayed in the suburbs away from the city.

Little Caesars Arena is a decent venue. Seats on the upper level sucked and were very cramped. Ended up moving down in the second half of the TCU game as there was noone there basically. Found seats in the middle level for the Sparty game and it was easier to get comfortable.

As far as the games/ fans it was a mixed bag. Not many TCU fans at all. Some Butler fans, Purdue fans and a crap load of Sparty fans. Some were nice but most of them were very douchey as expected. Kind of "we are great (even thought we havent won anything in 18 years) and are above you". TCU fans for the most part were quiet and realized "damn we are TCU fans What." Butler fans were nice.

It was great to see us beat Jamie Dixon. God I hate that bastard. Not sure if anyone else was there but some SU fan (woman in her 50's probably) made a complete ass of herself the ENTIRE second half screaming "Hey Jamie I think Pitt is hiring again" literally 150 times in a 45 minute span. It wasnt funny the first time and certainly wasnt funny the 150th time she said it. Really embarrassing and the entire section was like what the hell lady shut it.

The Sparty game was great. Had to be 15,000 MSU fans in the building. Was surprised we didnt have a better showing but a decent amount of our fans showed up. I didnt hear any Lets go Orange chants chants which was a surprise. Sparty fans have become the worst fan base in america. Its my second time I have encountered these asshats in person the past 3 seasons. I was at the games in St Louis when they laid another egg against MTSU. They are very conceded, think their crap doesnt stink and are way better than you are. I was talking to a few people who said "oh we were rooting for you to beat TCU because we will maul your zone." I said to them "be careful what you wish for". They have these canned cheers that they do and BTW does EVERY Big 10 team have a cheer where they all stand up and continually clap in unison???? Of course they have the uber annoying GO GREEN...GO WHITE chant which drives me crazy.

They were so confident prior to the game and by the end were ready to slit their wrists. It was such a joy to watch the meltdown (different than the MTSU meltdown but still a great one nonetheless). When the game was over and we were walking out of our section they were none to pleased to see us stick our fingers in the air and scream "CUUUUUUSE" as we exited our section. They constantly (and I mean CONSTANTLY) complain about bad calls. Its like a foul should never be called against them. I have witnessed this many games not involving them.

I also found it odd that Purdue fans were cheering for Sparty. There was an older couple right next to us who were Purdue fans and they were openly cheering for MSU. Shocked me. You would never find a Cuse fan rooting for UNC to beat anyone. Must be a Big 10 thing.

Leaving the arena I felt like a King walking to my car. Listening to all of the Sparty fans piss and moan about how bad a coach Izzo was, how did we actually lose to Syracuse, how the Zone is a terrible defense was just great. I love watching bad fan bases at the lowest of low points. Turns me on.

And BTW if Jaren Jackson is a top 5 NBA pick then I am going to win the Masters in April. Kid is soft as charmin and I cant believe the NBA ( which I dont watch so maybe I am wrong) is high on this kid.

The best part is when BB went into the game they were like "who the hell is this kid?" By the end they were like "did we really just lose with a walk on in there for 7 minutes?"

The drive back to Syracuse via Canada was super easy. Great trip and its always great when you win.

Great post and glad to see you back Marsh! although it would have been nice to see a week ago when I really needed that UMBC breakdown. :)

You, sir, are a legend and a true American hero. Good show, I say. If I had more time and even a trace of technical talent, I would write a Real Men of Genius bit about you.

Everybody give it up for our man Marsh. This is the kind of $h_t I dreamed about doing in my 20s, and this family man is making it happen right freaking now.

What a great description of our early March Madness from the viewpoint of one of our best fans! I can only imagine the ecstasy on which you coasted home!

I have a different rooting philosophy than you. When we were in the BE, I always rooted for other BE teams - even Gtown, sorry - to win in the Tournament. My reasoning was: when our conference is strong, it makes us look better. I feel the same way in the ACC. It’s a conference pride thing. So, I can understand Purdue rooting for MSU. (I suspect I am in a huge minority on this issue.)

Are you going to Omaha?

Great story. Surprised you didn’t leave Detroit and head to Omaha.

What a great description of our early March Madness from the viewpoint of one of our best fans! I can only imagine the ecstasy on which you coasted home!

I have a different rooting philosophy than you. When we were in the BE, I always rooted for other BE teams - even Gtown, sorry - to win in the Tournament. My reasoning was: when our conference is strong, it makes us look better. I feel the same way in the ACC. It’s a conference pride thing. So, I can understand Purdue rooting for MSU. (I suspect I am in a huge minority on this issue.)

Agree - when we were in the Big East, I rooted for other BE teams in the tourney and in bowl games. And that carried over initially in the ACC as well. But strangely, with the ACC the last couple of years, I don't find myself rooting for other ACC teams in the tourney, but still do in bowl games. I guess I feel the ACC rep in bb is so great no need for conference pride in that sport.

I loved seeing UVA and UNC routed. But, for me, nothing beats watching NC State lose in both sports.

Although I must admit, I had a smile on my face watching Clemson and FSU both win yesterday. Probably because they haven't had a lot of success in bb. Hope we start having success in football again soon. It's been a long, long, time.

Cheers,
Neil

Agree - when we were in the Big East, I rooted for other BE teams in the tourney and in bowl games. And that carried over initially in the ACC as well. But strangely, with the ACC the last couple of years, I don't find myself rooting for other ACC teams in the tourney, but still do in bowl games. I guess I feel the ACC rep in bb is so great no need for conference pride in that sport.

I loved seeing UVA and UNC routed. But, for me, nothing beats watching NC State lose in both sports.

Although I must admit, I had a smile on my face watching Clemson and FSU both win yesterday. Probably because they haven't had a lot of success in bb. Hope we start having success in football again soon. It's been a long, long, time.

Cheers,
Neil

Good to see you back!

Even though I picked Xavier - not like it matters - I was rooting for FSU. Show just how damned hard this conference is every single game. No USF's or DePaul in this bunch.

Good to see you back!

Even though I picked Xavier - not like it matters - I was rooting for FSU. Show just how damned hard this conference is every single game. No USF's or DePaul in this bunch.

Thanks man. Haven't been posting as much lately, but I still read the boards, though not usually game day (before and during the game and extended to the next two days after a loss no matter the sport).

This little tourney run has brightened my spirits in what has been a truly bad run (by our standards) in football, men's bb, and men's lacrosse. It no doubt helped that I had no expectations going in.

Hope it is a sign of good things to come next year in all three sports.

LGO!!!

Cheers,
Neil

For sure. I'd root for UNC against almost anybody at an NCAA game, especially if it's a pod game and they're not even in our region so we wouldn't have to play them if we both win.

Happy to know what turns Marsh on finally

Marsh, I was curious to hear your take on what is going on at UConn?

Great report, man! Was hoping I would see ya at Warped Wing pregame in Dayton.

We already talked about DET on FB. But, I actually thought the arena in Dayton was bigger than expected. I knew it was smaller per se. I don’t know what it seats total (14K?) but it was cool in there. Good sight lines like you said and those sides just go all the way up without any sort of loge/boxes whereas those, and limited number of them, are up behind the baskets. But yeah the arena sort of just sits alone with nothing around it. The brewery and downtown area was like a 7-8 min drive away for me. Cheers!

Great report, man! Was hoping I would see ya at Warped Wing pregame in Dayton.

We already talked about DET on FB. But, I actually thought the arena in Dayton was bigger than expected. I knew it was smaller per se. I don’t know what it seats total (14K?) but it was cool in there. Good sight lines like you said and those sides just go all the way up without any sort of loge/boxes whereas those, and limited number of them, are up behind the baskets. But yeah the arena sort of just sits alone with nothing around it. The brewery and downtown area was like a 7-8 min drive away for me. Cheers!
yea it was kind of a last minute thing and I didnt do any research on where to go before. Didnt expect there to be literally nothing around the arena. Oh well. Got the W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom