White- "silent scorer" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

White- "silent scorer"

I think with White, it's just that he's quiet. I don't know that Gillon really ever became "one of ours" for some until that wink he gave the NC State crowd. It's probably just a personality thing. Certainly not a talent issue because the guy is legit.

Well ... Melo was only here one year and yes he won a title but there's something about the 5th year transfer BS that does not feel the same even if White gives every impression you should root for him. I guess the days of rooting for players vs team are over.

U cant like that comment unless u know the reference :) i dont get that feel but ive been mostly a lurker the last 10 yr

Fight Club. But Captain HAS said that he feels like people don't get him around here and don't like his unique posting style.

Fight Club. But Captain HAS said that he feels like people don't get him around here and don't like his unique posting style.

From what I have seen there are a wide range of personalities and age groups on this board... not all would get or appreciate or like/understand his sense of humor. I do though.

I think with White, it's just that he's quiet. I don't know that Gillon really ever became "one of ours" for some until that wink he gave the NC State crowd. It's probably just a personality thing. Certainly not a talent issue because the guy is legit.
I'm still debating my feelings for Ennis.

CaptainJ you are a special and unique snowflake.

I'm not quiet like White, well not all the time. "I Disappear" like Townie, whom I intend to befriend after our recent run in. Life is too short for misunderstanding Boeheim!

PS folks, in the recruiting thread, I just started production of my latest single, a parody of the Shaft theme song, in the Duarte thread. I hope you dig it(I dont often feel as inspired as I do now, nor do I often follow through on my ideas, but here is my latest)

Class of 2017 - SG Chris Duarte (NY)

He is money for us.

He is money for us.

To quote my Shaft parody "Damned straight".

Thanks to the folks who have said kind words. I'm not sure how many folks have ever been misfits in certain situations, let along multiple ones, and have lived with the constant threat of being ****ed for even talking about *** Club(tm), but it kind of sucks, lol.

Speaking of Fight Club and quotes, what are you folks referring to? The snowflake thing? I thought that was just something used to mock SJWs in the last year or so, lol. Man, I feel like I cant fully appreciate this board sober, although that may be more of a comment on my own mental makeup than the board, if I want to be honest. I am unsure. Does anyone else ever have the same feelings...that you need to get ****ed up, at least at times, to fully experience the flow of this board?

Disclaimer, I am not promoting such activity, necessarily...just asking an honest question.

Speaking of which, our other snowflake, White(no pun intended), seems like the "straight man" in a classic comedy duo. Like a Dave Pasch to a Bill Walton. He's just there to get the job done, and earlier it seemed to have negative issues with the way he and others expressed(or didnt) their body language. Anyone recall that? I mean, even Tyler Lydon did a "head tilt" a few games back after his massive, monster dunk. White has a different style, and like Shaft(a complicated man, whom only his woman can understand), folks may not get him. This may also cause some issues with meshing that may only be healed with Time, one thing he doesn't have a lot of. (sure I wanted to put Pink Floyd's version which I like better, but this was one of the few movies of the last decade or 2 that I can say I truly loved. I dedicate Time to Andrew White, and may write a "parody"(tribute) to the Pink Floyd version. Dear Heavens, I saw one for "Hamilton" (not Hamilton's Pharmacopeia, from Vice TV, either...I got excited for a brief moment when I thought that was what it was about, and not a vehicle that has been used to insult and isolate certain people of late, regardless of who they are), and it shamed me into action!

Last edited:
I couldn't quite put my finger on how I felt about White and Gillon, but mercenary is the closest.

White looks like he's at a job he's been doing for a decade. Just going through the motions and getting it done. He knows this is his last year to make an impression before his next career move so he's ultra focused doing the best he can to show the world what he can do. At least, that's the narrative in my head. I think he is a program guy/support player that will be invaluable to any NBA team.

I agree. Part of it is he's been overshadowed in these last two games anyway. Gillon and then Battle. In the other two, I'd have to look it up, but Lydon was a standout, I think.

The other thing is the guy still feels like a mercenary. Hard to feel like he's ours. It's kind of an odd feeling, at least to me. I root for the guy but it's different than a guy we have had in the program or even a freshman we were recruiting for a long time.

Definition of mercenary: one that serves merely for wages; especially : a soldier hired into foreign service. Uh oh! Queue another decade long NCAA investigation!

White makes more contested shots than any player we've had in years.
Awesome NBA "J" in his repertoire. But let's talk about his defense. It's like a different player is out there compared to earlier in the season. Whatever the deal was, now he is 100% more comfortable on the defensive end and it has helped on our current winning streak. I'm sure he is happy to quiet some of the naysayers.

Now back to talking about his offense. We cannot compare him to any player we've had in the past. He's got an old man's game. Nothing flashy but very confident. Usually doesn't force things but still gets his 20. I'm glad the grads are working out. Opens many doors for us for the future.

He sort of has a vibe about him--I can't place it-- that I can't warm to. And again, not his fault. I think it's just because he's quiet and new to us. Gillon is new too but feels more likeable. Again, not that White has done anything at all. The kid has done everything right and he is great at what he is. Maybe he needs to go diving into a loose ball pile but then again when have we had one of those guys...Waffles?

I've actually gotten the opposite impression about AW. Now I wasn't all that happy with him when we started off so poorly. I wondered if he had gotten here sooner and gotten to work with the team if we could have come together a little bit sooner. But he seems to say all the right things when he's quoted in articles and is interviewed after the games. I get the impression he's trying to be a team leader.

The other thing is the guy still feels like a mercenary. Hard to feel like he's ours.
"I think Coach Boeheim is very much under-appreciated in the grand scheme of things. The way he carries himself -- his blue collar, no-credit-taken kind of approach -- is, I think, why he's kind of gone overlooked. This is an era where coaches want to be seen and noticed. Coach B just puts his system in and he sits in his chair and he lets his guys go out and make plays. He doesn't do it for any credit or attention. He just lives to win. There is no extracurricular activity to him. I'm on his team. I play for him. So if anybody asks me, I was part of the 1,000th victory. That's how I'm going to approach it."
Sounds like one of ours to me.

Awesome NBA "J" in his repertoire. But let's talk about his defense. It's like a different player is out there compared to earlier in the season. Whatever the deal was, now he is 100% more comfortable on the defensive end and it has helped on our current winning streak. I'm sure he is happy to quiet some of the naysayers.

Now back to talking about his offense. We cannot compare him to any player we've had in the past. He's got an old man's game. Nothing flashy but very confident. Usually doesn't force things but still gets his 20. I'm glad the grads are working out. Opens many doors for us for the future.

White leads the team in steals. When is the last time a player who played most of his minutes on the back line lead us in steals?

White makes more contested shots than any player we've had in years.
White is "clutch" - he played the leading role in getting the 12 point halftime deficit wiped out and putting us up 3 just over 8 minutes in the 2nd half.

"I think Coach Boeheim is very much under-appreciated in the grand scheme of things. The way he carries himself -- his blue collar, no-credit-taken kind of approach -- is, I think, why he's kind of gone overlooked. This is an era where coaches want to be seen and noticed. Coach B just puts his system in and he sits in his chair and he lets his guys go out and make plays. He doesn't do it for any credit or attention. He just lives to win. There is no extracurricular activity to him. I'm on his team. I play for him. So if anybody asks me, I was part of the 1,000th victory. That's how I'm going to approach it."
Sounds like one of ours to me.

Great quote. Again, I said it had nothing to do with anything White did (or said), it was strictly my feeling. I like the guy's quiet, cool demeanor.

Lucious Jackson.

White leads the team in steals. When is the last time a player who played most of his minutes on the back line lead us in steals?

I think Todd Burgan did it at least once. Maybe someone like Kris Joseph since then? Seems that wings who extend as high as ours have in recent years are likely to challenge the guards for team lead in steals.

I agree. Part of it is he's been overshadowed in these last two games anyway. Gillon and then Battle. In the other two, I'd have to look it up, but Lydon was a standout, I think.

The other thing is the guy still feels like a mercenary. Hard to feel like he's ours. It's kind of an odd feeling, at least to me. I root for the guy but it's different than a guy we have had in the program or even a freshman we were recruiting for a long time.
No. I really feel that White is as Orange as any four year player. He is quiet, but he came to win. How is he any different than Melo?

No. I really feel that White is as Orange as any four year player. He is quiet, but he came to win. How is he any different than Melo?

It's not that he's not an Orangeman. It feels like he is because to me he is still a bit of an outsider. We recruited Melo for years. I realize White is giving this program his all. I never questioned that.

Been saying for weeks White is by far our best player. The gap has widened since then. He seems inderappreciated in some ways. Maybe not. Either way... give me him shooting a 3 ball in crunch time over just about anyone we have ever had

Great quote. Again, I said it had nothing to do with anything White did (or said), it was strictly my feeling. I like the guy's quiet, cool demeanor.

That is a great quote. Might be one of the best ever. He nailed it.

Last edited:
Lucious Jackson.
I know it's a different game now than it was 20+ years ago, but I think AWIII is a much better offensive player. I know Luke was mostly third option behind Moten and Wallace and maybe he is the closest comparison to White, and he was a great Orangeman, but I don't think his game was as polished as White.

He has absolutely been our best and most consistent player. Teams key on him and his percentage is still great.
Definitely. Far and away the best shooter we have ever had. I haven't felt as comfortable whenever he rises up that it's going in, since probably Andy's senior year. Now whenever he puts it on the floor, I kind of look away!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom