White's last good shooting game? | Syracusefan.com

White's last good shooting game?

samspann1

Living Legend
when was it? He got hot for 2:30 @ GT, but was off the rest of the game?

If he added SOMETHING as far as rebounding, passing or defense, this cold stretch might be palatable.

This was a good. All shooters have slumps. He's having his now so he can be back on track for the postseason. Not kidding.

I can live with some missed shots, but can the guy box out, just once? And catch the damn ball, he has the worst hands of any player I have ever seen.

Agreed. He's in prime position to actually rebound, if he was aggressive and boxed out. He gives up so many offensive rebounds.

White is 17 for 54 in our last 4 games. He has only scored 7 points in our last two games. You have to go all the way back to the St. Johns game to find a game in which White has scored less. He had 2 points in that catastrophe.

In his past 6 games he is 32 for 90 from the field.
Here are his stats for the year:
Andrew White III

His last four games from three he's 8-36, or 22%. It's not the worst slump ever, especially considering he's 5-14 (36%) against teams other than Louisville in that stretch.

He's also been playing a ton of minutes and now gets a week off.

White has contracted Trevor Cooney disease. Prognosis late in season is not good. Guys don't usually recover from it at the end of season.

Short memory for a favorite whipping boy.

In our 5 NCAA games Cooney was 26-58 (.449) for all shots, 11-23 from 3 (.478). 7 for 8 ft (.875) and averaged 3.6 rebounds, 1.8 steals and had a 14 point scoring average throughout the 5 games to the Final 4.

I think the problem is what we saw with Cooney also. One is the offense and two is that White and Cooney both struggle putting it on the floor consistently.

It has been a problem for years trying to get our top shooters open looks. Usually it was Cooney the past few years. The offense just can't scheme to get them open or something. I don't get it. Other teams with some inferior pieces around them always seem to get their best shooters open shots.

May be able to tie his poor shooting to playing so many minutes.

The comment was made before the start of the game that he had played every minute of the last 9(?) games (Lydon was the same over the last 10). Anyone catch that? Watching him shoot today, it was apparent he was pushing his shot, rather than stroking it, which would lend credibility to the idea he's been played out. Geez, he even 0-2'd a trip to the foul line today.

Short memory for a favorite whipping boy.

In our 5 NCAA games Cooney was 26-58 (.449) for all shots, 11-23 from 3 (.478). 7 for 8 ft (.875) and averaged 3.6 rebounds, 1.8 steals and had a 14 point scoring average throughout the 5 games to the Final 4.

yep a short and incorrect memory. Cooney was excellent during our tournament run. Go back and watch some of the game sin the dance. he made big shots and had many important drives to the hoop. Very strong on defense too

May be able to tie his poor shooting to playing so many minutes.
^^^^^^^^^^^This to me is the reason why too^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't get why JB can't take him out a few minutes there and a few minutes there. Take him out prior to a TV timeout or something but get him some rest in the game. I think the same could be said for Lydon at times too.

I don't get why JB can't take him out a few minutes there and a few minutes there. Take him out prior to a TV timeout or something but get him some rest in the game. I think the same could be said for Lydon at times too.
College basketball gives you 4 1:30 breaks per 20 minute half. That doesn't include timeouts by teams and freethrows.

Are other players fresher than him? Yes.
Does it matter that he's playing 40 minutes instead of 38? No.

Too much is made of this.

It's difficult with White because we don't have anyone to play the three when he's not in the game. But the point is a good one, we don't strategically use media timeouts to rest guys as well as we have in the past.

It's difficult with White because we don't have anyone to play the three when he's not in the game. But the point is a good one, we don't strategically use media timeouts to rest guys as well as we have in the past.

I don't think it matters much defensively since he's not very good in the zone. Offensively, we might as well only play five guys anyway so I don't see why he's the one who can't ever come out. If Roberson is getting any minutes, we're capable of getting White a breather in my opinion.

It may not matter now, since they'll have enough time off and the finale is important enough to ride everyone you need to ride... Once you're in the tourney there are enough days off that I don't worry about it as much.

White's misses from beyond the 3-point line today were really bad. An air ball? Most of the time prior to his recent woes. every shot he took was solid. Lydon hasn't been much better. Only 3-pointer he made today was banked in. GT, unfortunately, is a very good defensive team. Gillon had a terrible game against GT. SU up by 6 at the end of the half WITH THE BALL and Gillon walks and Jackson hits a 3. Total momentum killer. And that blocking call against Roberson with SU down 2.

College basketball gives you 4 1:30 breaks per 20 minute half. That doesn't include timeouts by teams and freethrows.

Are other players fresher than him? Yes.
Does it matter that he's playing 40 minutes instead of 38? No.

Too much is made of this.

Then explain to me why he's struggling.

Then explain to me why he's struggling.
Because volume 3-point shooters at any level generally experience cold streaks and hot streaks?

I'm not totally opposed to seeing a 'small' lineup of Battle, Frank, and Gillon in very limited run. When White's not shooting well, I don't think it would hurt our offense and it might help the rebounding since Battle is a better athlete and has a better nose for the ball. The defense up top would suffer a bit with Frank in Battle's place, but we've seen JB play Frank and Gillon together for stretches before.

I wrote out a whole breakdown of how the minutes could be distributed and when to sub, but it's simpler than that. Do we trust Howard with about 15 minutes of gametime and can Battle handle SF? If both answers are yes, then JB could easily get White considerably more/better rest by timing his substitutions around the media timeouts. Lydon would still be looking at 40, but we could get White and Gillon down to the low-mid 30's along with Battle, instead of the high 30's or 40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom