White's last good shooting game? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

White's last good shooting game?

Playing time isn't a factor. They've had multiple days off and in some instances up to five between games. The scouting report has changed on him. You have to get in his face or send a help defender as seen in the Duke game. Other people will get shot opportunities; it's just a matter of taking advantage.

On another note, his inability to put the ball on the floor makes it easier for defenses to lock him up. Harder to defend someone who can not only come off of screens to get his shot, but can blow by his man as well. He's fairly one-dimensional. Unlike Wes Johnson, who also wasn't the best ball handler, Andrew doesn't have any of Wes' athleticism to compensate for his lackthereof.

Because volume 3-point shooters at any level generally experience cold streaks and hot streaks?
I can't prove it, but I feel like you might be conjecturing about this. Do you have any figures that support your statement? A lot of times we think something is true and then upon review of actual data, we realize we aren't correct. The misconceptions about Cooney in this thread, for example.

I'm not totally opposed to seeing a 'small' lineup of Battle, Frank, and Gillon in very limited run. When White's not shooting well, I don't think it would hurt our offense and it might help the rebounding since Battle is a better athlete and has a better nose for the ball. The defense up top would suffer a bit with Frank in Battle's place, but we've seen JB play Frank and Gillon together for stretches before.

I wrote out a whole breakdown of how the minutes could be distributed and when to sub, but it's simpler than that. Do we trust Howard with about 15 minutes of gametime and can Battle handle SF? If both answers are yes, then JB could easily get White considerably more/better rest by timing his substitutions around the media timeouts. Lydon would still be looking at 40, but we could get White and Gillon down to the low-mid 30's along with Battle, instead of the high 30's or 40.
I would trust Howard a lot more if he had gotten more playing time earlier in the season. But, he put up some serious stinkers early on that led to very little playing time. I don't know which Frank will show up from game to game, the Frank that drives to rim and finishes, or the one that inexplicably dribbles the ball off his knee right to his defender for an easy break out.

I don't think that AWIII can't drive, I don't think he wants to. His TO ratio is pretty low for a guy that touches the ball multiple times during each possession. He has had some nice drives. I think Lydon should take a little of AWIII's proclivity to shoot and AWII should try a pump fake a few times and drive to the basket. That's the best defense to being faceguarded, no?

I can't prove it, but I feel like you might be conjecturing about this. Do you have any figures that support your statement? A lot of times we think something is true and then upon review of actual data, we realize we aren't correct. The misconceptions about Cooney in this thread, for example.
Conjecture? Look at the game logs from last season for this guy and you'll see some pretty bad games (and multiple game stretches) from behind the arc. And you'll find similar patterns of performance if you look at other good 3-point shooters.

Stephen Curry 2015-16 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

Short memory for a favorite whipping boy.

In our 5 NCAA games Cooney was 26-58 (.449) for all shots, 11-23 from 3 (.478). 7 for 8 ft (.875) and averaged 3.6 rebounds, 1.8 steals and had a 14 point scoring average throughout the 5 games to the Final 4.

I know - it took 5 years but JB putting him down on the bench for a bit against Pitt in the ACC tourney finally reeled him in and we got way better shot selection and a FF run!!

Maybe White could use a blow? Probably more for rest though - lol. His shot selection has been okay.

I don't think that AWIII can't drive, I don't think he wants to. His TO ratio is pretty low for a guy that touches the ball multiple times during each possession. He has had some nice drives. I think Lydon should take a little of AWIII's proclivity to shoot and AWII should try a pump fake a few times and drive to the basket. That's the best defense to being faceguarded, no?

I think his handle is incredibly shaky - he's had a few games though where he's driven pretty effectively and finished well enough. I guess he needs to go to the drive early if he can to hopefully open up his outside game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom