Who’s the Point Guard next year? | Syracusefan.com

Who’s the Point Guard next year?

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
I don’t think JJ is it there, but who would it be? Copeland? Westry if he’s back and not rusty? I think this is a more important question than anything else. Our passing outside of Judah is mostly terrible.

Copeland or transfer portal guy

Really hope we get a definitive PG...

I think a large part of our problems on O start from shoehorning combo guards into playing point and suffering through the reality that they often are not very good at it.

It's a recurring theme that we need to break away from.

Gutted when Boogie Fland signed for PayPal Cal... NY PG we should have gotten (if we were back to prominence.)

Plus the name, my lord, the name...

Last edited:
I'll bite: Where is JJ going? Draft, portal, Europe, G-League, Retirement? It has to be one of those, right?
  • Do you think Red runs him off? I think that is the last thing he'd do and it would be a bad/counterproductive look.
  • I don't think JJ is playing well enough right now to reasonably vie for the Draft.
  • I don't see overseas as an option unless he wants to play in the Mongolian Central League.
  • Point is, he will stay home at SU, where he has support/comfort/facilities and work his ass off to get better. And he almost assuredly will.
JJ can play. He's struggled this year with consistency. Join the club. He's one of about 96% of P5 players that does not excel from day one. Growth is so rarely a straight line of ascent.
You misunderstood me. All I am saying is JJ is not a point guard.

Going and getting a point guard that can shoot would open up a lot for this teams lineup options next year. It's really tough to succeed in todays environment when your pg and sg are below average shooters like we have this season.

JJ or transfer.

JJ steps into Judah's role, and gets unlimited green light.

But I'd prefer to see us bring a dog lead guard, with a waterbug type of handle. Those type of PG's make everything pop in college basketball.

I don’t think JJ is it there, but who would it be? Copeland? Westry if he’s back and not rusty? I think this is a more important question than anything else. Our passing outside of Judah is mostly terrible.
Has Westry played the point a lot? You mentioned the rust but on top of that, the experience. If he only played it for half a game for a high school season I don’t like throwing him into the ring, far too many question marks and negatives.

I’m guessing a mix of Cope, JJ and the freshman.

I think the idea Red is going for is position less basketball and a freewheeling offense built on letting guys create their own shots. Which I am not enamored with.

Therefore, I don’t think a traditional PG is on the radar. The main ball handlers are already on the team. Syracuse hasn’t run an offense with a distributor PG since the 80s. And the next best options like Tyler Ennis or John Gillon aren’t walking through that door.

ETA: actually it’s pretty rare at SU to be a pass first PG. but includes two current coaches.

1706123957678.png

Last edited:
I think we need a guard with great handle that isn't intimidated and can easily break a press. Also, he should be a good passer and have a decent jumper. Pretty much Symir with a jump shot.

I think the idea Red is going for is position less basketball and a freewheeling offense built on letting guys create their own shots. Which I am not enamored with.

Therefore, I don’t think a traditional PG is on the radar. The main ball handlers are already on the team. Syracuse hasn’t run an offense with a distributor PG since the 80s. And the next best options like Tyler Ennis or John Gillon aren’t walking through that door.

ETA: actually it’s pretty rare at SU to be a pass first PG. but includes two current coaches.

View attachment 236874
first two were Final Four runs (1996 and 2013).

Most of the other seasons weren't bad (although 1997 and 2017 weren't so hot):
2000-01 Record: 25-9
1999-00 Record: 26-6
1996-97 Record: 19-13
2016-17 Record: 19-15
1990-91 Record: 26-6

I'm intrigued by the idea of Red approaching QC in May about running point next season and giving him the offseason to fine-tune his decision-making and improve his three-point shooting. A 6'6" point guard would be a terror for opponents, not unlike MCW.

The downside is that he'd be going without a net (unless JJ can slide over) and Red can't really tell portal PGs that he doesn't know what kind of playing time will be available.

i'm not sure QC has the court vision and control (coming up the court; around the perimeter; not penetrating-wise) to be on par with Judah.

I'd love to see what Westry can do, if that's even an option.

If you are a stud “true” PG in the portal, wouldn’t you want a beast of a center or some dead-eye shooters to make you look good? Is Bell that guy?

i'm not sure QC has the court vision and control (coming up the court; around the perimeter; not penetrating-wise) to be on par with Judah.

I'd love to see what Westry can do, if that's even an option.
Who knows what Westry can do? He didn't get to show anything at Auburn and like Judah, he was a shooting guard before college. I really don't think we should be relying on a guy in the process of converting to a point guard - that is a recipe for disaster. We clearly need a prototype point guard (pass first, great handle and vision) - no more work in process. Such a guard in the portal should be able to see a lot of playing time on our team.

Copeland isn’t a starting PG in my opinion. The #1 trait you want in your PG is to protect the ball. That is definitely not Copeland.

Copeland isn’t a starting PG in my opinion. The #1 trait you want in your PG is to protect the ball. That is definitely not Copeland.
Copeland approach to the game is like a street ball player (flashy, dramatic, adventurous). Nothing's wrong with that as long as you know when and how to separate Skip to my Lou from Rafer Alston.

Who knows what Westry can do? He didn't get to show anything at Auburn and like Judah, he was a shooting guard before college. I really don't think we should be relying on a guy in the process of converting to a point guard - that is a recipe for disaster. We clearly need a prototype point guard (pass first, great handle and vision) - no more work in process. Such a guard in the portal should be able to see a lot of playing time on our team.
Who also wouldn’t have played a real game in over two years and coming off major surgeries.

Why does this makes sense to anybody? I’m also curious, what player ever missed pretty much their first two years and came back as dominant at a new position as people around here think? Never? Rarely? Once? Twice?

If he ever plays more than 25 games and averages 25 minutes in those games ever in his career here I’d be shocked and would bet against it after everything he’s been through.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom