Who do regret leaving early? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Who do regret leaving early?

Pearl Green Owens
P
Pearl Green Owens
Pearl is the one player I really truly didn’t want to leave.
It was selfish on my part, but I loved his game and he was such a great human being !
He is to SU BB what Jim Brown is to
SU Football in my opinion ! Number 31 should carry the same connotation as 44 does in my estimation.
Pear was facing an age issue as I remember so he had to go, and I understood that, but yet he was the one player I really really did not want to go !
I joked earlier that Melo was the one player I didn’t want to leave. I know most of us realized Melo was gone in a year. Yes, he too was a painful loss, but one that was totally expected, and one I was at peace with.

P

Pearl is the one player I really truly didn’t want to leave.
It was selfish on my part, but I loved his game and he was such a great human being !
He is to SU BB what Jim Brown is to
SU Football in my opinion ! Number 31 should carry the same connotation as 44 does in my estimation.
Pear was facing an age issue as I remember so he had to go, and I understood that, but yet he was the one player I really really did not want to go !
I joked earlier that Melo was the one player I didn’t want to leave. I know most of us realized Melo was gone in a year. Yes, he too was a painful loss, but one that was totally expected, and one I was at peace with.

Pearl and Walter Berry were both MEN amongst boys that year.
Both just dominated on the court all season, and clearly had done all they could do at that level.
It was time to move on.

It was so odd that neither of them had the same impact as Pros.

I go back and forth between two. I sometimes wonder if Flynn would've made the 2010 team better. Does his ability to create one on one, the one flaw on that team, make up for the potential lost chemistry that team had?

The other is Jerami Grant. I saw all of that potential that hadn't been realized and looked forward to him making that jump so many of our guys traditionally did as upper classmen.

I understand why both went, but would've loved to see them in orange longer.

I was sad to see Lydon, Ennis and Malachi leave early. Putting aside whether it was financially the right decision, you could see that they were physically not ready. It really isn't a surprise that they didn't become great pros and their inability to have long NBA careers hurt our numbers in the league and didn't allow us to point to them as success stories for recruits.
Lydon really hurt because if he had developed more athletically and strength wise and worked on a back to the basket game he might still be in the league making big $. His size and outside shooting ability are just what the NBA is looking for right now.
Donte was the worst decision. He had no business leaving. He was so far from ready.

I was sad to see Lydon, Ennis and Malachi leave early. Putting aside whether it was financially the right decision, you could see that they were physically not ready. It really isn't a surprise that they didn't become great pros and their inability to have long NBA careers hurt our numbers in the league and didn't allow us to point to them as success stories for recruits.
Lydon really hurt because if he had developed more athletically and strength wise and worked on a back to the basket game he might still be in the league making big $. His size and outside shooting ability are just what the NBA is looking for right now.
Donte was the worst decision. He had no business leaving. He was so far from ready.

Those are all opinions, unsupported by facts.

ALL of those guys GOT PAID.

There’s zero guarantee that if any of them came back, it would have done anything other than expose the holes in their games, make them a year older, and remove the aura of “untapped potential” that the majority of guys are drafted on these days.

Oh, and maybe get them injured and unable to earn ANY money playing hoops.

They are still success stories.
Got PAID MILLIONS to play hoops at the highest level.

Ask guys like CJ and KrisJo and Rak and Tyus how much “coming back to work on their game” helped them in making more $ in the NBA than guys like Donté, Ennis, Mali, & Lydon. :rolleyes:

Here comes the "should they have stayed, should they have went" debate. I was wondering how long it was going to take to get here and surprised it didn't happen sooner.

I was under the impression this thread was supposed to be about who we would have LIKED to have seen stay. You know, a fun discussion.

Last edited:
Those are all opinions, unsupported by facts.

ALL of those guys GOT PAID.

There’s zero guarantee that if any of them came back, it would have done anything other than expose the holes in their games, make them a year older, and remove the aura of “untapped potential” that the majority of guys are drafted on these days.

Oh, and maybe get them injured and unable to earn ANY money playing hoops.

They are still success stories.
Got PAID MILLIONS to play hoops at the highest level.

Ask guys like CJ and KrisJo and Rak and Tyus how much “coming back to work on their game” helped them in making more $ in the NBA than guys like Donté, Ennis, Mali, & Lydon. :rolleyes:
Of course they are opinions. That is what we do here my friend. And if you read my post I qualified my comments by saying that if you put aside the financial.

I recognize that I am in the absolute minority with the following view but my feeling is that Ennis, Lydon and Malachi had the worst possible outcomes as far as their professional careers could have gone. Yes they made very significant money compared to average people but as far as the NBA goes it was short. Guys do improve in college even though most of the people on the board don’t agree with that. You can improve your stock by returning to college, among many others ask Peyton Prichard who went from not being any to draft boards to being a first round pick of the Boston Celtics.

I wonder how good that 2019 team would have been if Bazely had actually played here that year. That team would have had Frank, Tyus, Oshae, Elijah, and Bazely to go along with Pascal and Marek.

I wonder how good that 2019 team would have been if Bazely had actually played here that year. That team would have had Frank, Tyus, Oshae, Elijah, and Bazely to go along with Pascal and Marek.

He definitely would've helped although maybe not as much as we hoped. His post scoring would've helped although that team's struggles at PG prevented them from being a great team.