Who here defends buzz williams? | Syracusefan.com

Who here defends buzz williams?

gilardino

Starter
If you do, would love to here why. Only cuse fans would defend him, only cuse fans.

Nah, have disliked him from when I attended the SU Marquette game a couple of years ago and he was jumping all over the court making a spectacle of himself. As some have said he thinks he is bigger than his team. That said, not looking forward to playing them again.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uyf2zj

What's needed to defend. I don't think anyone likes how he basically stands on the court the entire game, but the little guy can coach his ass off. He is a VERY good coach, who consistently takes teams with weaknesses and gameplans, manages, coaches them around those weaknesses. For the last several years, his teams are on the short list of teams that the upper level teams in college basketball (of which Marquette is one right now), do not want to play come tournament time. Buzz can simply coach.

Everything else is aesthetics.

West Virginia fans are offended... just a little taste of their own medicine.

If you do, would love to here why. Only cuse fans would defend him, only cuse fans.
I think you're all missing the point, and he is referring to the suspensions. I can't defend the way he did it, but w/o knowing the violation its hard to say. What Buzz did was no punishment at all and put winning above discipline.

I think you're all missing the point, and he is referring to the suspensions. I can't defend the way he did it, but w/o knowing the violation its hard to say. What Buzz did was no punishment at all and put winning above discipline.

I thought he was talking about how Buzz was bustin a move to the melodic sounds of John Denver at midcourt after another epic collapse by WV.

I thought he was talking about how Buzz was bustin a move to the melodic sounds of John Denver at midcourt after another epic collapse by WV.
I just saw that thread, watched the game, but turned it off in disgust w/that last shot selection. WVU blew it, and Buzz needs a kick in the balls.

I actually saw the dance. He was just celebrating his teams hard fought win. Maybe it was a little out of taste, but people are oversensitive nowadays. They look for anyone that does anything slightly wrong and blasts people for it. It wasn't that big of a deal. If WV had played better, he wouldn't of skipped around after the game. End of issue. People want to talk about sportsmanship, but I really doubt sportsmanship is a problem for Buzz Williams. It was in the heat of the moment.

I just saw that thread, watched the game, but turned it off in disgust w/that last shot selection. WVU blew it, and Buzz needs a kick in the balls.

Actually, I respect Buzz. He made a mistake, not a huge one at that, and manned up and apologized

"I apologize, if you could write that for whatever you write for. That was very unprofessional. I apologize, that's not a great representation - it's not a good representation, it's a bad representation of our program, our institution. So I apologize for that. I was just really excited, that was all. And how I grew up, it was really in the country and that was one of my favorite songs growing up and I realized as the riot was about to occur, that John Denver said 'West Virginia' in the song. I'm sorry."​

Actually, I respect Buzz. He made a mistake, not a huge one at that, and manned up and apologized

"I apologize, if you could write that for whatever you write for. That was very unprofessional. I apologize, that's not a great representation - it's not a good representation, it's a bad representation of our program, our institution. So I apologize for that. I was just really excited, that was all. And how I grew up, it was really in the country and that was one of my favorite songs growing up and I realized as the riot was about to occur, that John Denver said 'West Virginia' in the song. I'm sorry."​

Yeah, people make mistakes in the moment, especially when there's a lot of emotion involved.

However, it was very poor judgement and total lack of awareness on his behalf to pull that pompous stunt off, especially as head coach. This was a huge game for the WVA (who clearly appear on the bubble) and to blow a big 2nd half lead as they did, certainly was not going to rest well with any fan base, let alone WVA's.

I don't care where he grew up or if this song or Denver's Country Boy was his favorite, he knew it would draw the negative ire it did in a hostile environment, but did it anyway...his version of spiking the football on the Cowboy's star at midfield...then switching to full damage control mode afterward...convenient.

He's an awesome coach. Love his enthusiasm and attitude. He might be a top 5 coach in America at this point. I'd take him in a heartbeat (if we didn't have Jimmy B)

He's a little over the top for me. I'd rather have a confident coach who acted like he has been there before, not a cheerleading character who didn't take his adult ritalin & in desperate need of a shower.

He's a little over the top for me. I'd rather have a confident coach who acted like he has been there before, not a cheerleading character who didn't take his adult ritalin & desparately looks like he needs a shower on the sideline.
I get that, but the players love him. I guarantee they thought it was awesome to see their coach celebrating instead of walking like a robot to the handshake line after a huge road win.

I'm certainly not going to defend him but then again I wouldn't condemn him either. Not for the 1/2 game suspensions or the dance number. Quite frankly, it just isn't important enough and I don't care how he makes his bed or what graves he digs.

So he can't even defend himself, but others can? Crazy. Would love to see them in nyc or the tourney. His hyperactivity would tone down after a loss.

I just really have trouble getting worried about some harmless dancing given the WVU student section's track record of acting like mongoloids.

I get that, but the players love him. I guarantee they thought it was awesome to see their coach celebrating instead of walking like a robot to the handshake line after a huge road win.
If A Coach Dances or walks like a Robot thru the handshake line has no bearing on the outcome of a Game. John Wooden did ok just walking thru the handshake line.

What's needed to defend. I don't think anyone likes how he basically stands on the court the entire game, but the little guy can coach his ass off. He is a VERY good coach, who consistently takes teams with weaknesses and gameplans, manages, coaches them around those weaknesses. For the last several years, his teams are on the short list of teams that the upper level teams in college basketball (of which Marquette is one right now), do not want to play come tournament time. Buzz can simply coach.

Everything else is aesthetics.

I think you nailed it Buddha. I find him annoying...very annoying actually. But he can coach.

In the early days of the BE, I used to be incredibly annoyed by Rollie Mass. But the guy could coach.

It's good to have new blood to dislike in the conference. We'll find an ACC coach to dislike soon too.

Its a pattern not a bad decision. He has unprofessionally engaged the fans all season including taunting once Marq wins. This is not an isolated incident its just the most glaring one on national television when not much else was going on in sports. This is why Crowder is allowed to give the neck slicing jesture without much happening, this is whey guys break team rules and they work the half game suspensions in so they can still win the game. (Half game suspension LMAO) This is why Marq show boats and talks trash more than any other team out there even when they are losing. Its the culture that Buzz Williams is creating.

When James tried to steal the ball at the end of the St. John's game JB gave him the business and you can bet he will not do it again. JB used to get on Paul and Jonny when they got too excited and crossed the line from celebrating to showing up.

Not related to this issue is how West Virginia has a lot of problems. Huggins is right in saying they are the most nonathletic team in the Big East. If we had Melo that game it would of been at least an 8 point win at home. Guys couldn't get back on defense. The fact that Marquette had some of their best players suspended for a half and still won tells you everything you need to know about WV. No chance of them getting in the tournament. NIT in my mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom