Who is this Nichole? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Who is this Nichole?

Got you Pete... I know what you mean... When my daughter graduates from Med School she will know it was paid for with black money
;)

And that she can thank dad someday with a retirement home on a tropical island? ;)

Bizarre. I used to respect Etan, but not so much now.
The 'article' is poorly written, misinformed, biased, and not well-reasoned.

Let's skip the obvious error in stating that a commercial "grossed" monies. Not sure what is expected in that circumstance anyway. Should we allow amateurs/collegiate athletes to make money on sports-related activities? How easily corruptible would the 'system' be in that case? Schools with the biggest 'recruiting budgets' would have a ridiculous advantage. There are so many ways to funnel money to players, and NCAA resources for investigating them are already too limited and slow to respond. To suggest that it's 'okay' for Samuels to have received the $200 "to feed his family" is just silly. Where, then, is the line? Is it random? Is it to be assessed on a case-by-case basis? You either have a rule or you don't.

Draconian measures? Imperialistic edicts? Jeez. These kids come from nowhere, are given not only an incredibly expensive education, but opportunities that really have no price. How many wealthy SU students would pay $100,000 for the opportunity to run out onto the Carrier Dome floor, being cheered by 30,000 people, in front of a tv audience of another 3 million, then parlay that 'glory' into the corresponding response from the ladies at the bar that night and for the rest of his SU career... then parlay, further, the personal and professional contacts accumulated during those four years? What's that worth? And, that's not even factoring in the chance to build your own brand toward a career in the NBA, where you'd be paid millions of dollars to play a game.

Yes, there are a lot of rules and restrictions attached. And, just like any other worthwhile opportunity, there is an incumbent responsibility to adhere to those restrictions. There shouldn't be any crying about it when you can't meet that obligation.

The one bit for which i do have sympathy is the item where a scholarship athlete can have a scholarship rescinded following any injury suffered during the practice or exercise of that sport, if that athlete can no longer perform at the necessary level. That shouldn't be the case. I wonder why there isn't an 'injury reserve' type of scholarship exception, whereby the athlete can continue to advance his education, but the school/team doesn't lose a player... There's no reason why, even with the tremendous financial implications, that education shouldn't still be the primary objective.

The university and the system has been VERY good to Etan Thomas, which is why I don't take his whining very seriously.
I wouldn't call it whining. I don't think Etan has ever whined. He is very good at stating things as he sees them.

Is this a real thread? Etan has every right to eloquently state an opinion. It doesn't matter whether we agree with the poem or the premise. He makes clear his opinion and doesn't hedge on it. I see no issues. On top of that, the notion that his athletic scholarship should render him in debt to the university and society is nonsense. Syracuse University is a private institution that should be proud of graduates like Etan Thomas.

Is this a real thread? Etan has every right to eloquently state an opinion. It doesn't matter whether we agree with the poem or the premise. He makes clear his opinion and doesn't hedge on it. I see no issues. On top of that, the notion that his athletic scholarship should render him in debt to the university and society is nonsense. Syracuse University is a private institution that should be proud of graduates like Etan Thomas.

I think SU is very proud of him. The feeling appears not to be mutual. No one is saying he doesn't have a right to his opinion, nor are they saying he doesn't have a point. Not everyone here agrees with his opinion, that's all. I have no problem with his article as it is informative to me. I didn't know about his wife's problem with the former women's staff. Such a situation would leave anyone sour. I just think Etan should acknowledge that both he and SU benefitted from his time here, that's all.

People actually wonder why Etan isnt more involved in the program today? Jeez, I wonder if he would actually add any value to the program if he even cared to be involved. Im not sure I ever remember him even smiling during his days at SU. I cant remember him smiling as an NBA player. I dont think I would want that guy's personality around recruits these days. Etan seems like he needs to chill out and enjoy life a bit.

People actually wonder why Etan isnt more involved in the program today? Jeez, I wonder if he would actually add any value to the program if he even cared to be involved. Im not sure I ever remember him even smiling during his days at SU. I cant remember him smiling as an NBA player. I dont think I would want that guy's personality around recruits these days. Etan seems like he needs to chill out and enjoy life a bit.

Amen... He's obviously entitled to his opinion but I really don't think he truly understands how fortunate he is. He got a full athletic scholarship at one of the better private schools in the North East to play a sport he grew up playing and loving while I have many friends who will be paying off their $180,000 plus SU college debt for the next 25+ years. Everyone knows how sleazy college athletics can be financially, but considering he was fortunate enough to go on to the next level and make big bucks when so few can, it's hard to take him very seriously. He comes off a little to much like a preacher in my opinion. Just enjoy.

I'm with you. I don't want anything to do with anyone who fails the "smile test" either.

I'm with you. I don't want anything to do with anyone who fails the "smile test" either.

Ha. I think charisma is an important attribute when it comes to college recruiting. Etan doesn't seem to possess much, if any. Not exactly a Calipari-type personality.

Of course he adds/would add value. He was a lottery pick and had a 10 year NBA career. Was a BE defensive player of the year. He is by all accounts an intelligent/thoughtful human being. Just because he doesn't spout the party line doesn't mean he can't be an asset to the program (assuming he is on good terms with JB and Hop). Not everyone can be Carmelo and not every recruit is looking to follow in Carmelo's footsteps. Diversity is a good thing. Different strokes for different folks. While having Melo as a former player may help us to land 90% of the recruits we do land, having Etan won't hurt us, and may help us with a few guys who don't fit the standard mold. Etan strikes me as the kind of guy who may go on to have a much bigger post-playing days career/impact than he did in his playing days. Kind of like the impact that Dave Bing has had off the court or Jim Brown on the football side.

pretty ironic seeing that if he didnt have that athletic scholarship he really would be in debt to the university and society.

Ha. I think charisma is an important attribute when it comes to college recruiting. Etan doesn't seem to possess much, if any. Not exactly a Calipari-type personality.
More Cal, less Etan. What's not to love?

English teachers everywhere would be thrilled to learn people are so fervently discussing a poem.

These appeared in today's articles

AP111110124430.jpg

Etan Thomas does not like the NCAA

When will players be the change they quietly wish to see?

Blogs

Former Syracuse forward Etan Thomas fights back against NCAA's ...

The latest in NCAA bashing

Etan Thomas On NCAA Hypocrisy: The Case Of Former Syracuse Player Nichole Oliver

Axepress Lane: Etan Thomas vs College Sports

Etan Thomas Rips NCAA in Column

From the CBS article linked by OE:

He was a marginal pro but a pretty good piece while playing for Jim Boeheim. He's also a pretty smart guy. He is aware that without the NCAA and Syracuse, he likely doesn't earn millions playing a game.

This is the part that I don't agree with. Without the NBA he doesn't earn millions. Without the athlete the NBA isn't the NBA, but colleges are not a necessary intermediary, they are just the one that has been chosen at the moment. Tomorrow the NBA could decide to spend some money on a minor league system and never allow another NBA prospect to play an NCAA game again and the NBA would still function pretty much as is. Did Syracuse make Etan the player he became. It certainly had a hand in training him and giving him exposure, but I'm not a big believer that JB did anything that wouldn't have happened elsewhere. JB isn't exactly known for producing NBA talents. I don't mean to take anything away from JB, he is obviously known for winning college basketball games, but his track record in sending guys to the next level over the years doesn't really separate him from others. I guess my point is that maybe SU needed Etan more than Etan needed SU... now discuss.

pretty ironic seeing that if he didnt have that athletic scholarship he really would be in debt to the university and society.

How do you know that would be the case?

From the CBS article linked by OE:

He was a marginal pro but a pretty good piece while playing for Jim Boeheim. He's also a pretty smart guy. He is aware that without the NCAA and Syracuse, he likely doesn't earn millions playing a game.

This is the part that I don't agree with. Without the NBA he doesn't earn millions. Without the athlete the NBA isn't the NBA, but colleges are a necessary intermediary, they are just the one that has been chosen at the moment. Tomorrow the NBA could decide to spend some money on a minor league system and never allow another NBA prospect to play an NCAA game again and the NBA would still function pretty much as is. Did Syracuse make Etan the player he became. It certainly had a hand in training him and giving him exposure, but I'm not a big believer that JB did anything that wouldn't have happened elsewhere. JB isn't exactly known for producing NBA talents. I don't mean to take anything away from JB, he is obviously known for winning college basketball games, but his track record in sending guys to the next level over the years doesn't really separate him from others. I guess my point is that maybe SU needed Etan more than Etan needed SU... now discuss.

If scholarships were not available, and Etan went to SUNY Albany, does he make the NBA? I doubt it. Obviously, Etan had raw talent coming in, but it takes more than that to make the NBA. Syracuse is one of the best basketball programs in the nation, and plays in the best basketball conference in the nation. While Syracuse does not churn out NBA players like UNC and Duke, we certainly put plenty in the NBA (like Duke & UNC). Maybe that's because we recruit really good players, like UNC and Duke, or do an excellent job developing players, or both.

If only he ever could have developed that post move we talked about each off season :)

The university and the system has been VERY good to Etan Thomas, which is why I don't take his whining very seriously.

I would actually take Thomas's "whining" much more seriously because he has no reason to whine! The sour grapes of a kid who just couldn't cut it at the Big East level of play I would ignore completely. Someone like Thomas who got a terrific benefit from his time here is not in the sour grapes boat.

I would actually take Thomas's "whining" much more seriously because he has no reason to whine! The sour grapes of a kid who just couldn't cut it at the Big East level of play I would ignore completely. Someone like Thomas who got a terrific benefit from his time here is not in the sour grapes boat.

Whatever. I don't deny his intelligence but the common theme of his pieces seems to be that he is somehow owed something because of his skin color...and that white people today possess some sort of "original sin" because of what happened two hundred years ago.

Etan should study the case of Jeremy Bloom before going off on this as a race issue. It seems to be applied equally. I will say however, that many of the restrictive rules that apply to FB and BB don't apply to sports not dominated by blacks.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Etan should study the case of Jeremy Bloom before going off on this as a race issue. It seems to be applied equally. I will say however, that many of the restrictive rules that apply to FB and BB don't apply to sports not dominated by blacks.

Thank you. I couldn't remember his name and was too lazy to google it.

those are the two sports that, at the vast majority of the schools, fund the budgets for all the other sports (in some Big Ten schools NCAA hockey is also a revenue generator).