Who is this Nichole? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who is this Nichole?

And likewise, Etan was VERY good to Syracuse University. He's directly responsible for much of the success and revenue of the program in the late 90s.

I'm sure Etan is doing quite well for himself financially.

And let's not pretend that he's the ONLY reason for the success of the late 90's. he had lots of help from guys like Jason Hart, Damone Brown, and Billy Celuck.

The guy barely knew how to play basketball when he first got here. His four years here helped transform him into a near-lottery pick. And it didn't cost him a thing.

And let's not pretend that he's the ONLY reason for the success of the late 90's. he had lots of help from guys like Jason Hart, Damone Brown, and Billy Celuck.

The guy barely knew how to play basketball when he first got here. His four years here helped transform him into a near-lottery pick. And it didn't cost him a thing.

There are plenty of non-athletes who receive scholarships, do well for themselves, and are not chastised for getting a free ride.

No.

I agree with everything you just said except Billy Celuck (I'm assuming you were kidding). But you're making it sound like because he received a basketball scholarship, that it takes away his right to be thoughtful, critical and opinionated about important issues.

He couldn't even keep his balance for a year and a 1/2.

Etan was a lottery pick actually.

In Etan's world the white man is the root of all evil. He is not smart enough to know he is part of the problem not the solution.

Finally got to reading the article...

I certainly don't disagree with all of his points...but that "poem" at the end had me shaking my head.

I think he forgets that:
A) You don't have to play college basketball. Go to Europe like Brandon Jennings or Jeremy Tyler. No one is stopping anyone from making a living.

B) ...with the whole "What our people were denied for centuries" route. White people play college basketball too.

Finally got to reading the article...

I certainly don't disagree with all of his points...but that "poem" at the end had me shaking my head.

I think he forgets that:
A) You don't have to play college basketball. Go to Europe like Brandon Jennings or Jeremy Tyler. No one is stopping anyone from making a living.

B) ...with the whole "What our people were denied for centuries" route. White people play college basketball too.

It kills me that we have the first POTUS of African American descent in the White House and people are still out there saying that the White Man is keeping people down. Meanwhile my son may get very little for financial aid because he comes from a white middle class household and not the projects. I've been to Atlanta and Memphis and there is ALOT of black money in those cities. There are some very successful African Americans out there and no one kept them down. People keep themselves down, and the rhetoric the 'black power' supporters spew doesn't help people pick themselves up.

Is Etan one of those guys that believes in reparations for slavery? I never heard his stance on that topic, but I'd like to hear it.

Your point B is very true. What about the Eric Devendorf's of the world? As I recall he was seriously injured and JB made sure he was given the best care possible. SU certainly didn't marginalize him or force him back early.

It kills me that we have the first POTUS of African American descent in the White House and people are still out there saying that the White Man is keeping people down. Meanwhile my son may get very little for financial aid because he comes from a white middle class household and not the projects. I've been to Atlanta and Memphis and there is ALOT of black money in those cities. There are some very successful African Americans out there and no one kept them down. People keep themselves down, and the rhetoric the 'black power' supporters spew doesn't help people pick themselves up.

Is Etan one of those guys that believes in reparations for slavery?

Pete is that the same thing with Jews and the holocaust or is that something different?

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/elton-brand-duke-letter/

Is Etan one of those guys that believes in reparations for slavery?[/quote]

Yes he believes in reparations.

Is Etan one of those guys that believes in reparations for slavery?

Nothing you said has anything to do with my response OR Etan's article.

Pete is that the same thing with Jews and the holocaust or is that something different?

What are you talking about? In what way? I don't see slavery in America as being equivalent with the Holocaust. There may be some parallels, but to compare one to the other is not a very good argument. The Holocaust and The Trail of Tears have more in common. If you want to discuss this, start a thread on the OT board.

No one is saying that any program, even SU, is perfect. This is the first time I ever heard about the specific issues he has with the University. I don't think anyone is knocking him for telling the story.

What he seems to have a problem with is/was the Women's program/staff and some professors, not the Men's program. I completely understand his issue with what happened and holding a grudge, but the women's staff is different now, the leadership at the University is different, etc. And if he truly likes JB and the fans, why not reach out once and awhile? I for one would love to see him at a game, even if it's an away game.

CTO or BillOrange, has he ever attended an SU-GTown game in DC?

I still hold out hope that he will come back someday. Even Jim Brown came back.

I can recall seeing him at only one game down here, and that was when he was still playing with Les Boulez.

Etan has a lot of issues with his time at SU ... a couple of big time disagreements with some of his profs and his perceived miss-treatment as the program grossed massive amounts of money off his play

he likes JB -- and he always makes a lot of valid points, he just had some bad moments at SU that he has yet to get over
his issues go way beyond college experiences----he seems to blame all his negativity as written in his poem,on his college experience------he is right in that players are exploited.

What are you talking about? In what way? I don't see slavery in America as being equivalent with the Holocaust. There may be some parallels, but to compare one to the other is not a very good argument. The Holocaust and The Trail of Tears have more in common. If you want to discuss this, start a thread on the OT board.

Pete let me qoute you again. Please explain in detail what your post means. What is black money?

It kills me that we have the first POTUS of African American descent in the White House and people are still out there saying that the White Man is keeping people down. Meanwhile my son may get very little for financial aid because he comes from a white middle class household and not the projects. I've been to Atlanta and Memphis and there is ALOT of black money in those cities. There are some very successful African Americans out there and no one kept them down. People keep themselves down, and the rhetoric the 'black power' supporters spew doesn't help people pick themselves up.​
Is Etan one of those guys that believes in reparations for slavery?​

Nothing you said has anything to do with my response OR Etan's article.

I was simply commenting about the line from his poem that you highlighted. If you were offended by my response, I'm sorry. I simply don't agree with the point of view, that's all. I'm not bashing Etan.

Pete let me qoute you again. Please explain in detail what your post means. What is black money?

It kills me that we have the first POTUS of African American descent in the White House and people are still out there saying that the White Man is keeping people down. Meanwhile my son may get very little for financial aid because he comes from a white middle class household and not the projects. I've been to Atlanta and Memphis and there is ALOT of black money in those cities. There are some very successful African Americans out there and no one kept them down. People keep themselves down, and the rhetoric the 'black power' supporters spew doesn't help people pick themselves up.​
Is Etan one of those guys that believes in reparations for slavery?​

It means that the "white man" isn't keeping anyone down. People keep themselves down. Some people don't take advantage of opportunities they are given, no matter the color. The proof is out there in society if people choose to see the good with the bad. And there is a double standard that exists. People who deny it don't pay attention.

Is that better?

EDIT: sorry, I missed the "black money" part. I used the term like people use "old money", "oil money", etc. I simply meant that there are some very successful African Americans out there who are financially well off. They have great educations, careers, etc. Who kept them down? No one, I would guess, or they wouldn't be where they are. If you work hard to succeed, you will. That's all I meant. Bad choice of words on my part. I shouldn't assume people know what I mean all the time. ;)

I was simply commenting about the line from his poem that you highlighted. If you were offended by my response, I'm sorry. I simply don't agree with the point of view, that's all. I'm not bashing Etan.

Not offended. I just didn't know how that was in response to what I wrote. I was looking at race in the point being discusses. I don't see what the POTUS being black or your kid not getting financial aid has to do with ANYTHING he brought up in his article.

My contention with his quote in poem wasn't with his view on blacks in america, but rather of the history/plight/whatever of blacks in america has really nothing to do with college basketball as the rules apply to players of all colors and classes...if someone doesn't like it, don't play.

I DO think the hypocrisy of the NCAA is hilarious and the term "student athlete" when describing high level D1 football/basketball is hilarious bull-.

But I think the general argument breaks down when he brings race into the picture.

Not offended. I just didn't know how that was in response to what I wrote. I was looking at race in the point being discusses. I don't see what the POTUS being black or your kid not getting financial aid has to do with ANYTHING he brought up in his article.

My contention with his quote in poem wasn't with his view on blacks in america, but rather of the history/plight/whatever of blacks in america has really nothing to do with college basketball as the rules apply to players of all colors and classes...if someone doesn't like it, don't play.

I DO think the hypocrisy of the NCAA is hilarious and the term "student athlete" when describing high level D1 football/basketball is hilarious bull-****.

But I think the general argument breaks down when he brings race into the picture.

I agree with you.

It means that the "white man" isn't keeping anyone down. People keep themselves down. Some people don't take advantage of opportunities they are given, no matter the color. The proof is out there in society if people choose to see the good with the bad. And there is a double standard that exists. People who deny it don't pay attention.

Is that better?

EDIT: sorry, I missed the "black money" part. I used the term like people use "old money", "oil money", etc. I simply meant that there are some very successful African Americans out there who are financially well off. They have great educations, careers, etc. Who kept them down? No one, I would guess, or they wouldn't be where they are. If you work hard to succeed, you will. That's all I meant. Bad choice of words on my part. I shouldn't assume people know what I mean all the time. ;)

Got you Pete... I know what you mean... When my daughter graduates from Med School she will know it was paid for with black money
;)