Who said Lequint was holding us back? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Who said Lequint was holding us back?

Many people talking about shoestring tackles. Willis has too small a sample size to say it wouldn’t happen to him too. He has gotten off tackle quite a bit too, so not the same as running between the tackles. Laquint is not that fast so guys he beats can get him that way. The guy just knows how to play, and has done so since filling in for Tucker freshman year. Kind of like criticizing Luka Doncic for being slow. It’s only part of the equation.

I would love to see the posts after the Minnesota bowl game again, where some posters were “gushing” about his speed. It was obvious then he was not fast, but he got the ball in open space, thus “looked fast”. Don’t know if that can be resurrected, but it would be fun.

He is also among the best blitz protectors ever to play for us too. Can’t think of anyone better. In recent memory, maybe Strickland was close.
Post more

Many people talking about shoestring tackles. Willis has too small a sample size to say it wouldn’t happen to him too. He has gotten off tackle quite a bit too, so not the same as running between the tackles. Laquint is not that fast so guys he beats can get him that way. The guy just knows how to play, and has done so since filling in for Tucker freshman year. Kind of like criticizing Luka Doncic for being slow. It’s only part of the equation.

I would love to see the posts after the Minnesota bowl game again, where some posters were “gushing” about his speed. It was obvious then he was not fast, but he got the ball in open space, thus “looked fast”. Don’t know if that can be resurrected, but it would be fun.

He is also among the best blitz protectors ever to play for us too. Can’t think of anyone better. In recent memory, maybe Strickland was close.
Yeah I was trying to think of one…maybe Delone?

Late in the game our D looked gassed and I was wondering how since we dominated TOP.

when McCord has time. This is one of the best offenses in the country. Allen, Willis, OG, Peña, Meeks, even Gill, Hatcher and Zeed when he comes back can all make plays. We have the playmakers.

We just need to figure out this defense and special teams. I honestly think special teams can be easy fix. I don’t like calling for jobs but the coordinator has to go. A half competent special teams coach would be fine. Stonehouse is a very good punter, the blocking is the problem. And I actually think Oh is a pretty decent kicker. But once again it’s the blocking that’s the problem. Blocking is strictly on the coach in special teams and not knowing your gaps and who to block falls on the coach. My biggest concern is defense and Elijah. Man he is disappointing
I actually don't think the defense is that bad (2nd quarters excluded). Sure, there is a lot of room for improvement from that unit, but they have been stuck with some short fields to defend. ST essentially gave UNLV 14 points - 7 directly and 7 more off the aborted punt that gave UNLV the ball on our 10. Stanford got a pick 6 and another TO in our territory.
They seem to make good adjustments at halftime.

anyone who suggests Allen touches the ball less is a casual or a fool.
Or just one of too many on the game day threads that I cant follow anymore. I read them after the games so I can see who shouldn't have been in the game when they win the games for us.

I actually don't think the defense is that bad (2nd quarters excluded). Sure, there is a lot of room for improvement from that unit, but they have been stuck with some short fields to defend. ST essentially gave UNLV 14 points - 7 directly and 7 more off the aborted punt that gave UNLV the ball on our 10. Stanford got a pick 6 and another TO in our territory.
They seem to make good adjustments at halftime.
The defense is not bad. You are correct. I don’t know why people keep saying this over and over. Repeating it will not make it true. I’ve posted on a few other threads that our defense is ranked # 60, middle of the pack. Against the 3 P5 teams (2 of them ranked) we are 51st. That puts us in the top 39%. People need to flush the Ohio game from their memories as we have not looked like that since.

Miami gave up a total of 11 completions to Cal and only 73 yards rushing and gave up 38 points. Take away seven from the pick six this is still almost impossible to do. prior to this, Miami was heralded as the best defense in the ACC but was exploited worse than we were versus Ohio. They did not prioritize keeping everything in front of them.

despite what has been somewhat poor tackling, from some guys like McDonald and deuce and bad angles all around, we are still performing well. When people talk about “cleaning things up” those things usually are not cleaned up. Unless you’re a freshman. Scheme, positioning, and assignments can be cleaned up, physical abilities, and “instinct“ usually not

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom