Who to root for? | Syracusefan.com

Who to root for?

SWC75

Bored Historian
My Mets won't be in the post season this year. My normal procedure is to look up how long it's been since a franchise or a city that did make the playoffs has won a championship and root for them to have their ship finally come it. Last year that was easy: the only people not rooting for the Cubs to win their first championship in 108 years were Indians fans. When the Cub came from behind to win, the mantle of the longest wait moved over to the Indians, who last won in 1948. (The only major league professional sports team in north American with a longer current drought is the football Cardinals, who were in Chicago when they won the 1947 NFL title.)
But it's complicated.

Cleveland Indians - last won in 1948 when the beat the Braves in 6 games. That's 69 years ago.. They also won in 1920 and thus have two titles.

Houston Astros - The came into existence in 1962 and have never won. That's 56 seasons, all in the same city.

Washington Nationals- in existence since 1969 but the Montreal Expos until 2005 so Washington has only been waiting since then...except they used to have a team called the Senators, (actually three of them: a 19th century National league team, an American league team from 1901-60 which became the Minnesota Twins and was immediately replaced by a third Washington Senators team from 1961-71. The nation's capital won it's only World Series in 1924, 93 years ago. Of course, they are the Met's NL East rivals. But they are also full of former Syracuse Chiefs.

Los Angeles Dodgers- Yes the Dodgers are one of baseball's glamour teams but they haven't won in 29 years. A generation of Dodger fans has grown up reading about their glory years. But they have yet to experience them.

Arizona Diamondbacks - They won their one title in 2001. In fact they had a 100 win season in their second year! Too much, too soon.

New York Yankees - 2009 and 26 previous times. Ugh.

Boston Red Sox - Started all this drought-breaking, (White Sox, Cardinals, Phillies, Giants, Royals, Cubs), back in 2004 but then they won two more. These days they are just another "have".

Chicago Cubs- It's 2017, not 2016.

I just hope it's one of the top three but the Dodgers wouldn't bother me either.

2009- till now, feels longer...like 150 years.

Moved away from NY in 1970. Became a NYY fan at that time, however have always cheered for the NY teams in either the WS or the Super Bowl. Most of the Stanley Cup games as well. Man, I wanted the Sabres to beat the Flyers SO badly. It always felt like a way of maintaining contact with the ancestral homeland. I loathe the Dodgers. I even hate the grass they play on. I'd happily cheer for the Red Sox over them. Hell, I'd cheer for the freaking Iranians over them. Last year was a win/win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom