Who was more fun to watch? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who was more fun to watch?

If you take dunking out of the comparisons, you have to throw a few more players in the mix. Isaiah Thomas, Oscar, Walt, Tiny, Magic and the logo.
I think you remember MJ having more dunks than he had. He certainly had some great ones but on a game to game basis? Not so many. Pistol was worth the price of admission every game.

The most incredible thing about Pete Marovich was not only was his scoring and passing accomplishments off the charts, he did this with reportedly a heart that was not fully formed (thinking was missing a chamber).

I think this is a great question!

I would say that Maravich was "Must See TV" before Michael Jordan was.

In fact, it took Michael Jordan a few years in the league before he was able to beat Boston, LA, Detroit, etc. I think that after Michael Jordan strung together his first couple championships, then HE became "Must See TV".

Jordan's greatness, his ability to do jaw-dropping things in the biggest moments is amazing. But he wasn't that guy right away.

Maravich, like you said, was like a Globetrotter. He was out of this world!

Young Jordan was more exciting early on than when the team was good. He averaged mid 30s scoring those years and nearly all those points were taking the rock to the rim he took maybe 1 3 per game it was all flying through the air taking the ball above the rim. Noone plays like that currently and the NBA had way more huge physical dudes guarding the paint back then. 80s Jordan was awesome his cast was horrible they won immediately when his team went from trash to OK bc of him.

Unless you really enjoy 3 point shooting 80s Jordan is way more fun to watch than anything we get served up today.

I didn't watch Maravich so my take isn't that valid but few guys have gotten the green light to be that ball dominant and he was a great passer.

It is MJ for me, but I grew up on MJ. I've only watched clips of PP.

For a more recent comparison, how close is Jason "White Chocolate" Williams to Pistol Pete in terms of fun to watch, passing, playmaker, etc.?

It is MJ for me, but I grew up on MJ. I've only watched clips of PP.

For a more recent comparison, how close is Jason "White Chocolate" Williams to Pistol Pete in terms of fun to watch, passing, playmaker, etc.?
I love Jason Williams, as a Kings fan from the Webber years (he was always my favorite player) I was so mad that they traded him for Bibby. Bibby was better for the team though.

I think you remember MJ having more dunks than he had. He certainly had some great ones but on a game to game basis? Not so many. Pistol was worth the price of admission every game.
Huh..? As a Chicago native and Bulls fan, I watched most of his early games, even the ones not on national tv. MJ did things on a nightly basis that were better than the main highlight stuff they show. Pistol has my props, but don't get it twisted, MJ did that dunking thing every night from day one in the league.

Better college player - Maravich by far. MJ‘s college career comparatively was pretty pedestrian, MJ played on some pretty loaded college teams with Sam Perkins, Matt Doherty, James Worthy etc. There was a saying back then regarding MJ - Who can stop MJ from scoring? The sassy answer was ‘Dean Smith’s offense’.

MJ was more spectacular in the NBA with his dunks, championships etc. Maravich was the better long distance shooter - his stats though don’t include 3 point shots, since it wasn’t created yet. Only at the end of his 12 year NBA career were there 3 point stats, when he was winding down after numerous injuries.

Better college player - Maravich. MJ‘s college career comparatively was pretty pedestrian, MJ played on some pretty loaded college teams with Sam Perkins, Matt Doherty, James Worthy etc. There was a saying back then regarding MJ - Who can stop MJ from scoring? The sassy answer was ‘Dean Smith’s offense’.

MJ was more spectacular in the NBA with his dunks, championships etc. Maravich was the better long distance shooter - his stats though don’t include 3 point shots, since it wasn’t created yet. Only at the end of his 12 year NBA career were there 3 point stats, when he was winding down after numerous injuries.
While most people focus on the unbelievable numbers he put up at LSU, Maravich was a hell of a good NBA player before the injuries caught up with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom