Who will be the emergency #4 guard? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who will be the emergency #4 guard?

JS typically dribbled with the intent to get the ball to a guard. He rarely made an offensive move off the dribble. He didn't turn the ball over much, but he didn't create much either. Guards need to make offensive plays and get the defense moving whether it is off the dribble or by passing. Defensively JS would be very interesting at the top of the zone, I would love to see that. I think with his length and quickness he could give opposing players fits.

I agree with this. Usually, when he catches the ball out front (with a guard on him in most cases), if the shot's not there, he gets rid of it.

But this isn't because he doesn't have a handle. He's just playing smart. If the shot's not there, why risk getting it stolen. Maybe that's part of why he had only 13 TO's all year. All of it, of course, is dictacted by the offense -- JS isn't out there making it up as he goes. The staff wants him to shoot it and they run sets to get him the ball in that position. If JB wanted him to 'drive', he'd be yelling "drive" to him every other time down the floor, like he did with KJ.

Sooner or later, though, Dirty's got to take the next step -- and that is to realize that if he uses his body, he can keep it away from a guard, shoot over the guard, or even drive by and score or dish.

With JS it's not about athletic ability, or 'handle'. It's about his confidence level and development as a player. With more PT that's coming next season, maybe we'll see some of that serious upside that everyone knows he has.

Kris and Dion had all the athletic ability in the world and JB rolled the dice with them all year.
When they were on fire they were on fire. When they were off they could shoot 24 percent taking 15 shots.

I agree with this. Usually, when he catches the ball out front (with a guard on him in most cases), if the shot's not there, he gets rid of it.

But this isn't because he doesn't have a handle. He's just playing smart. If the shot's not there, why risk getting it stolen. Maybe that's part of why he had only 13 TO's all year. All of it, of course, is dictacted by the offense -- JS isn't out there making it up as he goes. The staff wants him to shoot it and they run sets to get him the ball in that position. If JB wanted him to 'drive', he'd be yelling "drive" to him every other time down the floor, like he did with KJ.

Sooner or later, though, Dirty's got to take the next step -- and that is to realize that if he uses his body, he can keep it away from a guard, shoot over the guard, or even drive by and score or dish.

With JS it's not about athletic ability, or 'handle'. It's about his confidence level and development as a player. With more PT that's coming next season, maybe we'll see some of that serious upside that everyone knows he has.
yes it is

yes it is

Well, garbs, you like to argue and make bold statements. But the numbers don't back you up here.
You're entitled to your opinion--it's an opinion forum. But his low TO rate contradicts you.

I agree that he doesn't drive much -- however, he's more than capable and I hope he feels confident enough this year to take some risks -- without KJ we'll need him going to the rim and I think you'll see JB encouraging this, notwithstanding your concerns.

Well, garbs, you like to argue and make bold statements. But the numbers don't back you up here.
You're entitled to your opinion--it's an opinion forum. But his low TO rate contradicts you.

I agree that he doesn't drive much -- however, he's more than capable and I hope he feels confident enough this year to take some risks -- without KJ we'll need him going to the rim and I think you'll see JB encouraging this, notwithstanding your concerns.
I don't have the facts to back this up but I watched every game and off the top of my head the closest thing to JS driving into the lane I can think of was that time where he followed his shot for a nice put back aka didn't dribble into the lane

not really trying to argue, but he 'played smart' because he knew if he didn't he would be on the bench because I am sure the coaches made it clear he is not to dribble into the lane

and based off that I would say it is very safe to say this won't be a big part of his game next year and if it is I will be very glad to be wrong, but a 22/23 year old kid doesn't just all of the sudden learn how to dribble over the summer

With KJo gone, the person you will see going to the rack will be CJ. He showed the ability to do this last year, but let KJo do most of it. CJ has a much quicker step to the rack than KJo ever did and can do it without all the advertising. That combined with his continuing improvement on his 12-15 ft. jumper will make him a very dangerous weapon for us.

I don't have the facts to back this up but I watched every game and off the top of my head the closest thing to JS driving into the lane I can think of was that time where he followed his shot for a nice put back aka didn't dribble into the lane

not really trying to argue, but he 'played smart' because he knew if he didn't he would be on the bench because I am sure the coaches made it clear he is not to dribble into the lane

and based off that I would say it is very safe to say this won't be a big part of his game next year and if it is I will be very glad to be wrong, but a 22/23 year old kid doesn't just all of the sudden learn how to dribble over the summer

In order ... about 'driving', he drove the lane a bunch of times, but it was in pre-conference games when JB was letting them play. I remember a couple of times he dribbled in and pulled up, and couple of others where he drove and dished to keita. HE CAN DO IT. No it wasn't often ... for reasons explained above and below.

Why didn't he drive more often? Well, you think it's his handle. I don't. He can dribble -- he just wasn't encouraged to drive in JB's offense. That role was KJ's -- who was told to get on the weak side and drive the lane and score or get to the line. JS was a bench player called upon for catch and shoot offense, usually against zones. He's a streaky shooter -- with a shaky confidence level. And at 6'8", defending guards are going to go at him just like they do any taller player. It'll be up to JS to adjust and protect the ball with his body -- which he can do.

Next year, KJ's gone. So ... we get to see if my analysis of JS's game is correct or not. He showed he can rebound the ball with his hops, despite the fact that he's not bulky or strong. This will get him some minutes backing up X-Mas at the 4 (CJ can also play here, as he did this past year). JS can also shoot long or mid-range shots and get into the lane, even though driving inside was not his main function last year. Those skills will get him back up minutes at the 3, or even the 2.

Either way, JS will play. And I doubt you will see him turn it over much, wherever he's plugged in.

To the question posed by this thread -- whether JS can play SG -- it should be pointed out that this will be his likely position if he ever makes it to the league. We're especially thin at guard -- 3 guys and no backup at the point. This may mean that if either BT or TC is not hitting, is injured or picks up fouls JS is asked to play 2 guard -- not ideal but certainly better than CJ or Grant. I think JS has better footspeed than any of the forwards and can definately shoot it. Would he get it picked if he started driving the lane ... maybe. But so did BT, DW and Scoop from time to time.

I think realoranage (above) is correct that CJ inherits KJ this year as the main guy driving the lane. But I still think JS has the capacity, and he may get the green light, to create his own shot more this year. He'll make some mistakes if he tries to score off the bounce -- but that's how you get build confidence and improve.

Imagine a lineup of MCW, JS, CJ, X-mas and DC2. Thats a LOOOONG rotation that can run and shoot it. So... anything's possible with matchups and versatility of our guys this year.

James hasn't been a risk taker this year. Hes just shot within the offense. But then again I think the coaches did a excellent job not taking uneeded risks this year which also brings a point. When the team is not doing well, you can take more risks hoping something new will come.

James has been a looking to pass dribbler but...
The guy is so tall he can get low but his upper back gets more horizontal when he does.
If he shoots off the bounce its usually driving away from the basket with his upper back upright, instead of towards the basket with his upper back horizontal.

If he wants to get closer shots off a bounce or two hes got to work hard in the offseason using a pivot foot to aid a driving direction, or become comfortable shooting off his arched upper back.

Time for him to work hard in the offseason and become fathomably better.
James hasn't had a season at Cuse where hes done that unlike some of the other guys. I hope he understands that and uses it to will a hard offseason. him and triche are THE senior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom