Who would we rather have at the helm next? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who would we rather have at the helm next?

Next HC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dome with 18,000 in it isn’t all that special to us that have been there 100+ times.

To a kid whose never seen anything like the Dome with 18,000 there to watch a random basketball game though? Come on. Every recruit who comes here talks about the Dome.

I have a feeling it’s not quite what you say about “they come here to play for Boeheim” too.

They come here because they’re basically the whole effin show in this city.
There is something to be said about the pro-feel of the team being the only show in town. You are right about that.

18,000 is a lot of people everywhere but the Dome. It’s a big number but it doesn’t feel big in the Dome. That’s not because we’re used to it; it’s because you look up and see empty seats upon empty seats. Naturally, we try to bring in the big recruits for the big games that have better atmosphere, but those games carry risks since they’re often against teams on the recruit’s list.

Back to the 2 year timeline we’re looking at, though; that’s one year of no recruiting based on game atmosphere and the cool factor of the Dome. If Boeheim exits abruptly (fired), half the team will transfer and idk 80%? 90%? of the recruits will either take us off their list or move us down considerably.

If Boeheim leaves more naturally, where he can (his staff can) recruit honestly and point to a successor, the program will be in much better shape than canning him.

Last edited:
Man, stop.

Playing the right scholarship guys is essential though. That was always handled correctly IMO - so it was kindve stunning when it suddenly wasn’t.

Jesse Edwards really couldn’t even get off the pine two years ago, lmao. What a miraculously quick improvement!
It's called player development. The track record of kids who left because they thought they were ready vs those who stayed the course tips the scales decidedly towards JB knowing more than fans about whose ready.

It's called player development. The track record of kids who left because they thought they were ready vs those who stayed the course tips the scales decidedly towards JB knowing more than fans about whose ready.
That’s a LOT of development in a few months. So much development. Not even playable to one of the best centers in the league!

I have a feeling it’s not quite what you say about “they come here to play for Boeheim” too.

They come here because they’re basically the whole effin show in this city.

They come for the symphony, they leave when they see the hiking trails. It’s the cycle of life.

why do you think attendance has cratered?
Last year? Team stunk, wasn’t fun to watch, and COVID restrictions/masks for some, and avoiding large crowds for others.

why do you think attendance has cratered?

Because we haven’t been good, obviously. I assume your point is going to be this is the reason to get rid of Boeheim ahead of schedule and throw the program further into turmoil and hope, wish, pray that we’re one of the programs that defies all odds in such a scenario and somehow comes out better years down the road?

Because we haven’t been good, obviously. I assume your point is going to be this is the reason to get rid of Boeheim ahead of schedule
ahead of schedule? hindsight says we’re about 7 years behind schedule.

Last year? Team stunk, wasn’t fun to watch, and COVID restrictions/masks for some, and avoiding large crowds for others.
I was being sarcastic that brooksie was pointing to the dome atmosphere as an excuse for JB. Fact is many games in the first half of the season are now closer to 13,000 actual butts in seats. It doesn’t have to be this way. Put a ranked and entertaining product out there and the Dome will get back to being an advantage. It’s not the Dome’s fault ffs.

Syracuse has good facilities and money. A new coach can recruit here.

The point to be made is the facilities and resources at our disposal put us up there with about 40 programs that also have nice facilities and money to spend. Those aren’t true differentiators. The Dome with 18,000 in it is not special.

Overwhelmingly, recruits play here to play for Jim Boeheim. The fact that it’s Syracuse is fine but we’re not a destination school. We’ve seen over the years how little “SU is my dream school” really matters among recruits.

Will the replacement coach be one who can bring good recruits with him instantly? That’s the question to be answered that I’m skeptical about. Over a few years, a new coach can certainly build something and he’s got a head start on a lot of programs, but if we’re talking about JB staying 2 years, the case that a new coach would bring more success in those 2 years is not at all compelling.
40 college basketball programs have our facilities and resources?! Lolz. The Dome is a massive differentiator because of the revenue potential of such a big arena. Have you ever seen the Forbes list of most valuable programs or the lists of most profitable programs or highest revenue programs? Even in our recent mediocre years, we’re in the top 5, at worst top 10.

Last edited:
There is something to be said about the pro-feel of the team being the only show in town. You are right about that.

18,000 is a lot of people everywhere but the Dome. It’s a big number but it doesn’t feel big in the Dome. That’s not because we’re used to it; it’s because you look up and see empty seats upon empty seats. Naturally, we try to bring in the big recruits for the big games that have better atmosphere, but those games carry risks since they’re often against teams on the recruit’s list.

Back to the 2 year timeline we’re looking at, though; that’s one year of no recruiting based on game atmosphere and the cool factor of the Dome. If Boeheim exits abruptly (fired), half the team will transfer and idk 80%? 90%? of the recruits will either take us off their list or move us down considerably.

If Boeheim leaves more naturally, where he can (his staff can) recruit honestly and point to a successor, the program will be in much better shape than canning him.
Boeheim isn’t going to be fired so that’s a straw man.

Last edited:
40 college basketball programs have our facilities and resources?! Lolz. The Dome is a massive differentiator because of the revenue potential of such a big arena. Have you ever seen the Forbes list of most valuable programs or the lists of most profitable programs or highest revenue programs? Even in our recent mediocre years, we’re in the top 5, at worst top 10.

We are all aware of the revenue and profit Syracuse basketball rakes in. We’re top 5 there.

The question of the Dome being a differentiator was in terms of what recruits care about, not about the revenue potential of a big building that holds a bunch of people.

Correct. To the chagrin of a growing minority here.
But if he doesn’t win 23 plus games this year he should step down. He’s had 8 seasons to right the ship. Enough is enough and I was a big supporter of his through the first half of this downturn and even Buddy’s jr year. A lot of fans have lost their patience.

Boeheim gonna bogart his way to 50 seasons as SUMBHC. Tell me, who's gonna say no?

But if he doesn’t win 23 plus games this year he should step down. He’s had 8 seasons to right the ship. Enough is enough and I was a big supporter of his through the first half of this downturn and even Buddy’s jr year. A lot of fans have lost their patience.

My perspective is that if he’s forced out early, the next couple seasons will be worse than if we just keep him 2 more years and let him retire. The game hasn’t passed him by, he just hasn’t had the talent (his fault). Well, I’m finally seeing some of the talent we’ve been missing, so I’m of the opinion stability at the coaching position gives us the best opportunity for short term success. And that’s what we’re talking about, imo, the short term. Like I said earlier, any perceived damage to the program is done; it won’t get worse.

That’s the long and short of it. I suppose the counter to that perspective is that the new blood will take off running and give us a higher ceiling with the same floor.

When I think of coaching transitions at other power programs, designed succession plans have seemed to work much better than abrupt firings.

My perspective is that if he’s forced out early, the next couple seasons will be worse than if we just keep him 2 more years and let him retire. The game hasn’t passed him by, he just hasn’t had the talent (his fault). Well, I’m finally seeing some of the talent we’ve been missing, so I’m of the opinion stability at the coaching position gives us the best opportunity for short term success. And that’s what we’re talking about, imo, the short term. Like I said earlier, any perceived damage to the program is done; it won’t get worse.

That’s the long and short of it. I suppose the counter to that perspective is that the new blood will take off running and give us a higher ceiling with the same floor.

When I think of coaching transitions at other power programs, designed succession plans have seemed to work much better than abrupt firings.

Why “2 more”?

I guess I don’t understand the point. Kids are gone. Why is “2” the magic number?

We have zero, let me repeat ZERO 2023 prospects signed for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom