Who would we rather have at the helm next? | Syracusefan.com

Who would we rather have at the helm next?

Next HC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since option C of paying a bazillion dollars to a top shelf coach - as one of the handful of programs with the money to do so - is off the board, I’ll go with Hop. I think he’s the better recruiter and prefer his coaching experience. Yeah, Washington hasn’t been too good but it’s Washington. You bring a stock Prius to a drag race, you’re going to lose.

Since option C of paying a bazillion dollars to a top shelf coach - as one of the handful of programs with the money to do so - is off the board, I’ll go with Hop. I think he’s the better recruiter and prefer his coaching experience. Yeah, Washington hasn’t been too good but it’s Washington. You bring a stock Prius to a drag race, you’re going to lose.
Maybe we can hold out hope that Jay Wright becoming the next Syracuse head coach is still remotely an option. The timing could work in our favor. Like one in a billion but if you are JW wouldn't you do your due diligence and at least ask.

Maybe we can hold out hope that Jay Wright becoming the next Syracuse head coach is still remotely an option. The timing could work in our favor. Like one in a billion but if you are JW wouldn't you do your due diligence and at least ask.

If Jay Wright signed on, we’d lose at least a dozen members here to heart attacks. They’d have ear-to-ear smiles, though.

You’ll have to wait a couple years
Why ? Soccer is ranked. Football is ranked the basketball program is stale. When was the last time this program was ranked?

Why ? Soccer is ranked. Football is ranked the basketball program is stale. When was the last time this program was ranked?

It’s as likely that a new coach would start out with a sub .400 record the first couple years as it is that he’d get the program into the top 25. The floor of this team is probably close to what it was with last year’s team; a couple games under .500. The ceiling is being ranked.

Since the floor and ceilings aren’t all that different in the short term, I don’t see a compelling reason to force out the guy responsible for every ounce of success the program has had just to get a 2 year head start.

Any supposed damage that could be done has been done. Right now, we know that the recruits we do get come because of Jim Boeheim, not because Syracuse is cool. In light of the recruiting effort looking much improved this cycle, I’d rather give him a shot to get us on solid ground than drop a nuke on the whole operation and pray the next guy can somehow cobble together a roster of transfers to stay relevant until recruiting cycle 2 or 3 gets going.

It’s as likely that a new coach would start out with a sub .400 record the first couple years as it is that he’d get the program into the top 25. The floor of this team is probably close to what it was with last year’s team; a couple games under .500. The ceiling is being ranked.

Since the floor and ceilings aren’t all that different in the short term, I don’t see a compelling reason to force out the guy responsible for every ounce of success the program has had just to get a 2 year head start.

Any supposed damage that could be done has been done. Right now, we know that the recruits we do get come because of Jim Boeheim, not because Syracuse is cool. In light of the recruiting effort looking much improved this cycle, I’d rather give him a shot to get us on solid ground than drop a nuke on the whole operation and pray the next guy can somehow cobble together a roster of transfers to stay relevant until recruiting cycle 2 or 3 gets going.

Strongly disagree with a lot of that.

We have one of maybe 5 programs in the country where there is a built in interest in the program to basically a pro sports level.

We have the Dome, we have insane tradition, we have top fan support and atmosphere……yes Boeheim was the guy at the helm for all of that, but that will continue post Boeheim. It’s ingrained. See UNC. See Kentucky. See Kansas. They have changed coaches since the original legend(s) left. Our team has been largely mediocre (or in last years case - flat out stunk) for awhile now and people are still interested.

We aren’t quite to their level in success, but we’re nearly there in fan support and interest in the program and built in cache.

We aren’t friggin St. John’s or Temple.

We have one of maybe 5 programs in the country where there is a built in interest in the program to basically a pro sports level.

We have the Dome, we have insane tradition, we have top fan support and atmosphere……yes Boeheim was the guy at the helm for all of that, but that will continue post Boeheim. It’s ingrained. See UNC. See Kentucky. See Kansas. They have changed coaches since the original legend(s) left. Our team has been largely mediocre (or in last years case - flat out stunk) for awhile now and people are still interested.

We aren’t quite to their level in success, but we’re nearly there in fan support and interest in the program and built in cache.

You are incorrect if anything is holding us back in recruiting . There’s nothing positive That will occur by keeping the status quo

I guess the days of competing for a championship are long gone now.

I guess the days of competing for a championship are long gone now.
I’m at the point of “finish 14-6ish or better in the league and win 25+ games and make the NCAAs easily or we’re moving on”

Essentially putting the program on pause for a half a decade is ridiculous. Time to either earn it again, or move on. Lifetime achievement awards are for Hall of fames, names in the rafters, on the court, etc. Day to day life goes on though.

IDK. My understanding is the key to winning games is to play all your scholarship players every game. Seems easy enough.

IDK. My understanding is the key to winning games is to play all your scholarship players every game. Seems easy enough.
Man, stop.

Playing the right scholarship guys is essential though. That was always handled correctly IMO - so it was kindve stunning when it suddenly wasn’t.

Jesse Edwards really couldn’t even get off the pine two years ago, lmao. What a miraculously quick improvement!

This thread:

friends-phoebe-buffay.gif

Syracuse has good facilities and money. A new coach can recruit here.

The point to be made is the facilities and resources at our disposal put us up there with about 40 programs that also have nice facilities and money to spend. Those aren’t true differentiators. The Dome with 18,000 in it is not special.

Overwhelmingly, recruits play here to play for Jim Boeheim. The fact that it’s Syracuse is fine but we’re not a destination school. We’ve seen over the years how little “SU is my dream school” really matters among recruits.

Will the replacement coach be one who can bring good recruits with him instantly? That’s the question to be answered that I’m skeptical about. Over a few years, a new coach can certainly build something and he’s got a head start on a lot of programs, but if we’re talking about JB staying 2 years, the case that a new coach would bring more success in those 2 years is not at all compelling.

Syracuse has good facilities and money. A new coach can recruit here.

The point to be made is the facilities and resources at our disposal put us up there with about 40 programs that also have nice facilities and money to spend. Those aren’t true differentiators. The Dome with 18,000 in it is not special.

Overwhelmingly, recruits play here to play for Jim Boeheim. The fact that it’s Syracuse is fine but we’re not a destination school. We’ve seen over the years how little “SU is my dream school” really matters among recruits.

Will the replacement coach be one who can bring good recruits with him instantly? That’s the question to be answered that I’m skeptical about. Over a few years, a new coach can certainly build something and he’s got a head start on a lot of programs, but if we’re talking about JB staying 2 years, the case that a new coach would bring more success in those 2 years is not at all compelling.
The Dome with 18,000 in it isn’t all that special to us that have been there 100+ times.

To a kid whose never seen anything like the Dome with 18,000 there to watch a random basketball game though? Come on. Every recruit who comes here talks about the Dome.

I have a feeling it’s not quite what you say about “they come here to play for Boeheim” too.

They come here because they’re basically the whole effin show in this city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom