• Navy

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • We all win!

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

texascpa

Living Legend
I love this game, always have, and I'm not a military brat. IMy oldest son, however, is in the Air Force. I love the pagentry, the playing for the love of the game, these two offenses, and the unique uniforms they've worn over the years. It's also great that this is the only game on TV, so the college football nation's attention is focused on it. So, with that...

Navy is the easy pick. They are ranked, have played a tougher schedule, has arguably the best running QB in the nation (who should have been considered for Heisman presentation), and hasn't lost in 13 years. Also, if Navy wins, they win the Commander-In-Chief's Trophy outright.

Army, however, has had several close losses this year, has played Navy well the last couple years, despite their record, and runs a similar offense, so their defense should be very prepared.

For me, I'll go with Navy, in a lopsided affair. Unfortunately, this game is on at the exact time as my kids' high school playoff game which is also on TV. So I'll have to do a lot of channel flipping.

I don't think it's going to happen this year, but I look forward to watching the Army celebration when they break this streak.

So for that reason, rooting for Army. But thinking, like most, Navy wins today by a couple TDs.

A game where there are no losers. For those who have never attended one, I recommend it. Great experience.

this game is great.

everyone should go to 1.

i always root for Army as that was the familys calling and its a NY school, but ive witnessed 2 Navy blowouts and figured its best to watch on the telly.

BTW, I've been really sick and for some reason put "Commander's Cup" in the poll question. It really should be "Thompson Cup".

I loved it better when it was a competitive series. Navy has won the last 13:
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/opp-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2014&team1=Army&team2=Navy

If anything they are even worse against Air Force, whom they have been beating once a decade sicne the 90's:
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/opp-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2014&team1=Army&team2=AirForce

What is it with Army? or maybe what is it with Navy and Air Force? It can't be just they've had good coaches and Army hasn't. There ahs to be something about decisions that were made behind the scenes where Navy and Air Force wanted to win football games more and Army felt they had other priorities.

Brother in law is in Navy

But would love to see Army win

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/opp-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2014&team1=Army&team2=Navy

If anything they are even worse against Air Force, whom they have been beating once a decade sicne the 90's:
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/opp-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2014&team1=Army&team2=AirForce

What is it with Army? or maybe what is it with Navy and Air Force? It can't be just they've had good coaches and Army hasn't. There ahs to be something about decisions that were made behind the scenes where Navy and Air Force wanted to win football games more and Army felt they had other priorities.

Listening to the SiriusXM college sports station this week, there have been a few reasons brought up, some by the Army's play-by-play announcer and some by callers. The two that strike me the most as possible reasons:

- Army has more stringent height/weight restrictions than either Navy or Air Force. This is why they consistently look smaller, particularly in the trenches.
- Army just recently revamped their Summer sessions to mirror Navy and Air Force.

Last edited:
As a former Air Force NCO, I have less care who wins this game, only that it is played. Remember, Army and Navy are four letter words! Seriously, I love the kids that dedicate themselves to our country. They play this game for the love of playing, true collegiate athletes. Inspiring on so many levels.

Listening to the SiriusXM college sports station this week, there have been a few reasons brought up, some by the Army's play-by-play announcer and some by callers. The two that strike me the most as possible reasons:

- Army has more stringent height/weight restrictions than either Navy or Air Force. This is why they consistently look smaller, particularly in the trenches.
- Army just recently revamped their Summer sessions to mirror Navy and Air Force. Prior to this, they did not get in the early summer conditioning/lifting work that Navy and Air Force did.

Interesting. I would think the Navy and the Air Force would have more stringent requirements as to how tall or wide you could be.

A big problem for Army is the pre-season "Beast" which impacts player weight.

My father always loved this game, and we loved it for all the right reasons.

I'm rooting for America!

Pretty cool helmets today.

And some really good signs on gameday.

What is the pre-season "beast"?

Intense boot camp.

Some players lose 30-40 pounds - very difficult to recover weight for football season.

Some good signs on Gameday:

"#Blackknights matter"
"Navy has small decks"
"A submarine goes down with 120 men and comes up with 60 couples"

KaiserUEO said:
this game is great. everyone should go to 1. i always root for Army as that was the familys calling and its a NY school, but ive witnessed 2 Navy blowouts and figured its best to watch on the telly.

I also think A Civil War, by Feinstein, about this game, should be required reading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom