Who's nervous for Arkansas | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who's nervous for Arkansas

Why did you make a prediction like that?

I think I picked 25-6, thought our young team was due to lose a non-conference game, especially early. Figured that we'd be vulnerable against a team that plays tough defense (Mike looked uncomfortable against full-court pressure last season). Four games in, against a Mike Anderson team, on the road, it seemed a real challenge.

It's still a challenge, but if Arkansas doesn't want to play defense, we match up a lot better against them.

Looking forward to Friday night quite a bit; it'll be a good experience for our guys.

No, it wasn't a road game.

Stop being ridiculous. If you're going to get your feelings hurt because a Syracuse fan says he anticipates a certain game to be a loss, maybe the internet is not for you.

Syracuse has a great chance to beat Arkansas. I'll be very happy if we do. I just happen to have predicted three weeks ago that we would not. I don't know why you feel the need to whine about that.
I said that I hoped you had an eraser, that's not whining it's disagreeing with you and it certainly isn't ridiculous. Sounds like you have the hurt feelings. I think our defense will be way too much for them and I don't care if we play them on the moon. Dougie.

I said that I hoped you had an eraser, that's not whining it's disagreeing with you and it certainly isn't ridiculous. Sounds like you have the hurt feelings. I think our defense will be way too much for them and I don't care if we play them on the moon. Dougie.

Dougie?

Go away.

I think I picked 25-6, thought our young team was due to lose a non-conference game, especially early. Figured that we'd be vulnerable against a team that plays tough defense (Mike looked uncomfortable against full-court pressure last season). Four games in, against a Mike Anderson team, on the road, it seemed a real challenge.

It's still a challenge, but if Arkansas doesn't want to play defense, we match up a lot better against them.

Looking forward to Friday night quite a bit; it'll be a good experience for our guys.
I think we win by double digits. We are a beast of a defensive team with everyone getting better each game. If we shoot well meaning someone besides james , its going to be ugly imo.

I think we win by double digits. We are a beast of a defensive team with everyone getting better each game. If we shoot well meaning someone besides james , its going to be ugly imo.

If we shoot well, we could put a hurting on some teams. All teams, actually.

Don't agree about the defense; the top of the zone has been a sieve through four games. But we're getting better. And a double-digit win wouldn't shock me in the least.

I'm interested in this. Logically, I completely understand you. I think what you mean is:

1. We are good enough to make the tournament as long as we are ranked and once in shying can happen
2. These early season games mean little when so much growth happens in season

I completely get that, but that's a heck of a lot of self discipline to really not care. Have you really reached that point? I think I might be envious.

44cuse
Yes that is what I mean. Don't get me wrong I want to win every game. I'll leave getting nervous to the players. Now if March Madness was 32 teams... I do approach regular season football games with more urgency.

Yes that is what I mean. Don't get me wrong I want to win every game. I'll leave getting nervous to the players. Now if March Madness was 32 teams... I do approach regular season football games with more urgency.

Makes sense. I completely get that. I'm definitely not that way, but a times wish I could be. Thanks for the reply. I was genuinely curious.

44cuse

I was pretty excited for this game before the vegas tournament...now i just hope we dont get blown out. Granted we'll probably play a lot better at home but we havent improved like i hoped we would this season. Looks the same as last year...BJ Young can't be our whole offense. Glad mike has a good recruiting class coming in. Hopefully we'll improve once some of these young guys get experience

If we shoot well, we could put a hurting on some teams. All teams, actually.

Don't agree about the defense; the top of the zone has been a sieve through four games. But we're getting better. And a double-digit win wouldn't shock me in the least.

Can't go away yet. Our defense has been a SIEVE through four games? We lead the country in steals at 14.25/game with 57 total. Absurd statement. Now I'll go away. lol.

I'm surprised this game is going to be on ESPN and not the Shopping Network!
It's actually on the Food Network ... they want to taste the fresh beef in our main entree, and examine how well MCW can serve his dishes despite the loss of waiters.

not me. watch the game and then start spending power ball winnings

Aren't they calling Arkansas "The Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball"? If they want to run, so be it, SU's chances go up a boatload.

That doesn't just refer to the offense. It's the new name for Nolan Richardson's "40 Minutes of Hell". It's the system Mike Anderson used at UAB and Mizzou before bringing it back to Arkansas. They're going to try and press the entire game.

Can't go away yet. Our defense has been a SIEVE through four games? We lead the country in steals at 14.25/game with 57 total. Absurd statement. Now I'll go away. lol.

The top of the zone. You know, the guards?

Watch the games, guy. The only thing absurd is equating steals with solid defense. Anyone who's paying attention has noticed the ease with which other teams are getting the ball to the high post and down to the block. Tom said the very same thing today.

The top of the zone. You know, the guards?

Watch the games, guy. The only thing absurd is equating steals with solid defense. Anyone who's paying attention has noticed the ease with which other teams are getting the ball to the high post and down to the block. Tom said the very same thing today.

I don't what is more absurd, you saying that our defense is a sieve or trying to justify your remark. It's as illogical as a Grinnell fan saying that Jack Taylor doesn't take enough shots. You are actually saying that leading the nation in steals doesn't equate with solid defense? :bat:Steals sure don't hurt.LMAO.

I don't what is more absurd, you saying that our defense is a sieve or trying to justify your remark. It's as illogical as a Grinnell fan saying that Jack Taylor doesn't take enough shots. You are actually saying that leading the nation in steals doesn't equate with solid defense? :bat:Steals sure don't hurt.LMAO.

Again, I'm referring to the guards. Not the entire defense.

I'm sorry that I'm wasting time replying to someone who is deliberately misreading and misrepresenting what I wrote. Someone who wants to argue about whether a neutral court game one a ship should be considered a road game and who thinks that steal totals are the measure of good defense probably shouldn't be given the time of day.

You're wrong. You're unnecessarily argumentative. Your first post was rude. Go away.

arkansascheer1.jpg

There is no defense for this, we must concentrate through the distractions.

Again, I'm referring to the guards. Not the entire defense.

I'm sorry that I'm wasting time replying to someone who is deliberately misreading and misrepresenting what I wrote. Someone who wants to argue about whether a neutral court game one a ship should be considered a road game and who thinks that steal totals are the measure of good defense probably shouldn't be given the time of day.

You're wrong. You're unnecessarily argumentative. Your first post was rude. Go away.

Then I guess some people (myself and Mick Cronin) shouldn't be given the time of day. Mick has commented before that steals/non deadball turnovers by the SU zone is the most important factor when playing SU. In summary, he has said that when playing verse the zone a steal immediately ignites the fastbreak and easy scoring opportunities because in the zone usually all five members of Syracuse is facing their own goal. Hence, easier to run into lanes and get easy baskets. He also said that when playing against a man-to-man defenders are running around trying to follow their man and therefore not necessarily in good position to attack after a steal/non deadball turnover. So, steal totals playing in a zone are an important measure of good defense certainly not the only measure, which of course I never stated. Maybe you don't agree with the opinion shared by Cronin and myself but it certainly doesn't make it wrong. I also find it hard to believe that anyone would use the word sieve when describing our guards defense. One leads the country in steals, one is widely regarded as a good defender, and the third had 6 steals in a game.

I'm actually not as worried about this game as I was before the season started. Not sure why that is though.

I was but then their coach slept with a university employee and was fired so now I think they'll struggle.

This strikes me as a stupid policy. People spend more time at work than doing anything else other than sleeping. That's where many people meet their romantic interests. So long as it's not a boss and his or her assistant (where you have the whole power dynamic between them), I don't see anything wrong with it.

No, it wasn't a road game.

Stop being ridiculous. If you're going to get your feelings hurt because a Syracuse fan says he anticipates a certain game to be a loss, maybe the internet is not for you.

Syracuse has a great chance to beat Arkansas. I'll be very happy if we do. I just happen to have predicted three weeks ago that we would not. I don't know why you feel the need to whine about that.

Well, in the same sense that playing Kansas in Kansas City was a "neutral site" game a couple years ago. And still we probably had more people on that carrier than they did.

Well, in the same sense that playing Kansas in Kansas City was a "neutral site" game a couple years ago. And still we probably had more people on that carrier than they did.

Kansas City was technically neutral, but it was like the Michigan State NCAA game in 2000: a completely partisan crowd, on a court on which one team is a regular and our team is not.

San Diego State was completely neutral; a truly unusual experience in which both teams had a solid number of fans and neither team looked to have any advantage unrelated to talent.

This game is in Bud Walton correct?

That alone has me worried, most people don't realize how hard it is to play there. Ask Michigan, who reminds me quite a bit of this Syracuse team. Went down there last year and got killed in the first half, made a good comeback, but lost.

I don't think we'll lose to them, but they can get streaky and have BJ Young, who will be the most talented offensive player Syracuse has seen this year.