why BJ doesnt play | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

why BJ doesnt play

You win the internet today. Those shirts would look brilliant in Orange as this years varient of
260825829001_605397157001_100105-shutitdown2-flv-still.jpg

Dude, i forgot i had this sweatshirt. Im bringing this out of retirement.

With what this team is now, we really, really need BJ to be that shooter off the bench. I don't mind him shooting quick b/c he needs the confidence.

Wake barely defended Roberson and Patterson last night. Can't have 2 guys out there who can't score. Johnson is only other option, but shot hasn't been there.

Was hoping Ron would break out of his funk, but man, one of those 3 is going to need to step up offensively b/c they are going to get chances when their defender doubles Rak.

Still think this is a tourney team, but one of those 3 have to step up to make it.
I feel like the energy that Ron brings on defense is plus for the team. Always seems to challenge shots and be in decent position. Offensively we all know his shot isn't falling, but his passing has been good outside of the pass in OT. He had a really nice spurt in the second half where he hit a 3 came down and trapped and got a steal that led to a transition 3 for mike and then made a nice pass off a corner pic and roll to RAK that led to a 3 pt play.

Roberson is playing like he belongs right now. What he brings on the boards is impressive.,whether getting defensive boards or keeping possessions alive on the offensive end. He seems to run with a purpose in transition and can see him scoring more there are the season progresses. He also has made some nice passes in the high low and hit some mid range shots the past few games. I think with continued work and confidence he will become more reliable hitting that 10-15 ft jumper that he is getting consistently open.

I feel like the energy that Ron brings on defense is plus for the team. Always seems to challenge shots and be in decent position. Offensively we all know his shot isn't falling, but his passing has been good outside of the pass in OT. He had a really nice spurt in the second half where he hit a 3 came down and trapped and got a steal that led to a transition 3 for mike and then made a nice pass off a corner pic and roll to RAK that led to a 3 pt play.

Roberson is playing like he belongs right now. What he brings on the boards is impressive.,whether getting defensive boards or keeping possessions alive on the offensive end. He seems to run with a purpose in transition and can see him scoring more there are the season progresses. He also has made some nice passes in the high low and hit some mid range shots the past few games. I think with continued work and confidence he will become more reliable hitting that 10-15 ft jumper that he is getting consistently open.

We don't need a lot from Roberson; as long as our big 3 keep playing well, we only need him to average about 6 per game to go with his board work. But we do need him to have one game where he makes the defense pay for sloughing off him - just one game where he goes like 5 for 6 from the field. Then every other coaching staff will realize they have to play him more closely and they can't easily double off him to help on Roc. Just showing that he's a threat will increase his gravitational pull.

I don't disagree. This team will need a 4th threat to score though. Rak and Cooney were unbelievable last night and Mike showed up late. For the most part, we know what we are getting from those 3 on the offensive end.

Kaleb is the most talented offensively of the remaining, but his defense will get him to the bench and he lacks the aggressiveness right now. Hopefully it develops for him too.

Need a 4th threat. Maybe it's Roberson (he has the talent to do it) and he is going to get every chance to do it. Maybe it's BJ, who I thought it would be coming into the year, but his shot has been flat. Maybe it's Ron, who flashes the ability to shoot.

jgeorge322 said:
Dude, i forgot i had this sweatshirt. Im bringing this out of retirement.

Why would you ever put It into retirement?!?

He's copping a feel of turkoglu's rock hard oblique

but he has a 1" vertical

You're just looking at the front of his shoe. If you look at the back it's closer to 3 or 4". But he tells the ladies 7.

I'll say this: B.J. missed that last rotation and enraged Boeheim, but at least he used a hard foul on the shooter. Our other forwards often take a touch foul and give the guy a chance to convert the shot. B.J. clobbered the guy. Good - you've got five fouls and there's no reason to give up a free layup. Earn it from the line.

I'll say this: B.J. missed that last rotation and enraged Boeheim, but at least he used a hard foul on the shooter. Our other forwards often take a touch foul and give the guy a chance to convert the shot. B.J. clobbered the guy. Good - you've got five fouls and there's no reason to give up a free layup. Earn it from the line.

AMEN!

We don't need a lot from Roberson; as long as our big 3 keep playing well, we only need him to average about 6 per game to go with his board work. But we do need him to have one game where he makes the defense pay for sloughing off him - just one game where he goes like 5 for 6 from the field. Then every other coaching staff will realize they have to play him more closely and they can't easily double off him to help on Roc. Just showing that he's a threat will increase his gravitational pull.
I think we will ultimately need about 10 to 12 points per game from Roberson if he is playing 30+ minutes per night. McCullough's points will have to be made up for somewhere, and it can't all be from Christmas and Cooney and Gbinije, particularly if Joseph's offensive production continues to shrink and Johnson can't find a way to stay on the floor and contribute something.

I think we will ultimately need about 10 to 12 points per game from Roberson if he is playing 30+ minutes per night. McCullough's points will have to be made up for somewhere, and it can't all be from Christmas and Cooney and Gbinije, particularly if Joseph's offensive production continues to shrink and Johnson can't find a way to stay on the floor and contribute something.

I don't disagree with you, but why does he need to score 12 when CMac was only scoring about 7 per? I'd love to see the scoring shared, just to make us multi-dimensional in case the flu hits the team or something.

Arms up and stop chucking immediately when you check into a game...damnit!

I believe you said it was certain that he would chuck up a shot as soon as he entered the game (in another thread)...you were 100% correct. He entered the game, and his very first touch he chucked one up...doinked it off the front rim, not even close. :bang:

I believe you said it was certain that he would chuck up a shot as soon as he entered the game (in another thread)...you were 100% correct. He entered the game, and his very first touch he chucked one up...doinked it off the front rim, not even close. :bang:

Pretty certain he has done that in almost every game upon checking in so sort of a no-brainer prediction. I think it was Ghost who mentioned that it was a long 2 as well as pretty contested. Fail.

Pretty certain he has done that in almost every game upon checking in so sort of a no-brainer prediction. I think it was Ghost who mentioned that it was a long 2 as well as pretty contested. Fail.

Immediate heat check. Interesting.

Personally, I like to run up and down the court a couple times to warm up before I attempt a shot other than a bunny. He should try that as well.

saying what roberson needs to average to win games is crazy. he needs to average as many as he can, i'd sure as heck feel good about our chances if he's closer to 12 than 6. Anyhow the biggest thing roberson needs to do is bury those 10-15 footers when they're not even guarding him. He passes up to many. He knocks a couple more of those down and they have to guard. This opens other stuff up and depending on matchup roberson is getting better taking people off the dribble at those spots.

saying what roberson needs to average to win games is crazy. he needs to average as many as he can, i'd sure as heck feel good about our chances if he's closer to 12 than 6. Anyhow the biggest thing roberson needs to do is bury those 10-15 footers when they're not even guarding him. He passes up to many. He knocks a couple more of those down and they have to guard. This opens other stuff up and depending on matchup roberson is getting better taking people off the dribble at those spots.

I thought that too, but many of those looks he gets come very very early in the shot clock - first or second pass early. JB would light him up if he took all of those. Once or twice I'm with you.

Plus, if you read the other thread about slowing down the pace of the offense, you'll see that using a good portion of the shot clock leads to more wins.

Immediate heat check. Interesting.

Personally, I like to run up and down the court a couple times to warm up before I attempt a shot other than a bunny. He should try that as well.

Lol. Precisely.

I don't disagree with you, but why does he need to score 12 when CMac was only scoring about 7 per? I'd love to see the scoring shared, just to make us multi-dimensional in case the flu hits the team or something.
Asking Roberson to score in double figures going forward is not unreasonable if he's playing big minutes. To date this season, he scores about 11 points per 40 minutes, compared to about 13 points for McCullough and Gbinije (Christmas is at 22 and Cooney about 16). I'm not suggesting he needs to become the focal point of the offense, but I think he should be a consistent scorer by virtue of his offensive rebounding alone, and I think he can potentially be a very effective scorer in transition against teams like Duke and North Carolina that like to play uptempo.

Last edited:
Asking Roberson to score in double figures going forward is not unreasonable if he's playing big minutes. To date this season, he scores about 11 points per 40 minutes, compared to about 13 points for McCullough and Gbinije (Christmas is at 22 and Cooney about 16). I'm not suggesting he needs to become the focal point of the offense, but I think should be a consistent scorer by virtue of his offensive rebounding alone, and I think he can potentially be a very effective scorer in the transition against teams like Duke and North Carolina that like to play uptempo.

he really runs the court well . . . its a shame that his teammates haven't been adept at finding him streaking ahead on the break yet, he needs to be rewarded

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom