Why Boston College will win | Syracusefan.com

Why Boston College will win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Stats that favor Boston College:
Scoring Defense: 24.2ppg (48th) vs. 28.4ppg (78th)
Completion percentage: 59.3% (71st) vs. 57.8% (87th)
Passing yards per completion 13.10 (38th) vs. 12.12 (77th)
Passes had intercepted 7 (41st) vs. 9 (61st)
Passing yards allowed 237.5 (79th) vs. 264.1 (107th)
Interceptions: 17 (3rd) vs. 15 (9th)
Sacks allowed: 20 (45th) vs. 30 (103rd)
Tackles for loss allowed: 69 (80th) vs. 70 (84th)
Total Defense: 387.6 (59th) vs. 433.3 (95th)
Rushing Defense: 150.1 (49th) vs. 169.2 (72nd)
Red Zone defense: .780 (27th) vs. .814 (45th) (that’s the percentage of times in the red zone where the teams scored. I think a better stat is point per trip: BC has allowed 168 points in 41 trips: 4.10 per trip. Syracuse has allowed 155 in 43 trips: 3.60)
Defensive touchdowns: 2 (28th) vs. none (61st)
Kick-off returns: 23.1 (28th) vs. 18.8 (92nd)
Punt return defense: 9.50 (82nd) vs. 9.86 (85th)
Blocked kicks: 5 (5th) vs. 2 (37th)
Fewest penalties: 69 for 540 yards (73rd) vs. 73 for 588 yards (82nd)
They give up less points and yards probably due in part to pace. Their completion percentage, yards per completion and interception rate would come from their emphasis on running the ball. Same with sacks allowed. I think my metric on red zone defense is better than the NCAAs and we’re actually ahead in that. They’ve blocked more kicks than we have- look out for that.

- After last year’s game, my image of BC, especially with the 6-0 245 A. J. Dillon running the ball is of a big, brawny team that will just bully us to death. I think it’s more than an image.

- Consider what Dino said to my question about depth in his last show: ““We went into the Notre Dame game without a starting defensive lineman, (who?), and defensive back and we lost our quarterback three possessions in. Things had happened before I got here that I’m desperately trying to expedite, (the recovery from). We don’t have the depth we need yet. We are probably about 2 seasons away from being able to play 2-3 of the top ranked teams and compete with all of them. We have to take these things in stages. There is a lot more to do that people don’t see than they realize. We will get there.” It’s been a great season but I wonder if what we’ve experienced in past season: the team running out of gas in November isn’t also happening now and the one-sided loss to Notre Dame was an indicator of it.

- The only good team we’ve beaten was NC State and we did that in the Dome on a career night for Eric Dungey. This is on the road an outdoors in November, (although the weather is supposed to be OK). Are we what our record says we are?

- No inside info but I don’t expect to see Dungey in this game. Maybe he’ll be back for the bowl game. I think Dino is playing one of these “maybe he will and maybe he won’t” games with Addazio. Is DeVito ready for this?

- The memory of DeVito being over-whelmed by the Notre Dame pass rush before he had a chance to do anything is fresh in my mind. What a kick in the pants it will be to see a player named Zach Allen tackling the Syracuse quarterback.

- Yeah I know. We would have taken 8-4 as a season record when the season began and should be happy. Still….

One thing that grates me about this game is that very few people believe we can win - most of this board has penciled this game in as a loss from before the season started. A win will require a strong effort from the offense right out the gate but this is college football and most anything is possible. LGO,

One thing that grates me about this game is that very few people believe we can win - most of this board has penciled this game in as a loss from before the season started. A win will require a strong effort from the offense right out the gate but this is college football and most anything is possible. LGO,

Hopefully the players have read those predictions that they aren't going to win. A little extra motivation never hurts. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom