Why can't Carey play through one mistake? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Why can't Carey play through one mistake?

I won’t argue that. He has been mediocre for sure. But st times he has been very good and he can win us games and has in the past. Carey has not. Frank is a senior who doesn’t run the ball over anywhere close to the rate jalen does. If we want to make a fun I. March we need frank playing well IMO. Let me ask you a question, if you had to choose frank or Carey with 4 mins in a tied ncaa tourney game who are u going with?
We sure do have a lot of “miracle” runs.
2 out of 3 years making it at least to the sweet 16. Maybe they aren’t, you know, that miraculous and we actually had talent on those teams.

The best deep shooters in basketball have nights where nothing drops; you can even look it up. And Buddy somehow managed to drop three 2-point shots during that game, and was on the floor throughout most of the comeback from 20 down to 1 down, and was active and effective on defense when the team went to pressure.
fyi i was referring to november/december not 1 game. it was awful . and now it's not .

As long as Carey is getting better for the future I can understand not playing him a la MCW or Scoop.
I just hope we aren’t breaking the kid like Kaleb.
Tyler Ennis came in as a finished product and covered the coaches up.
I really want to see players show improvement from year to year.
Guys like Scoop, Rick Jackson, Kris Joseph, Waiters, CJ fair, MCW, Tyler Lydon got better.

This year’s team I don’t see much improvement from any returning player.
Battle has handled the ball more.

"What? You have no idea how anything works. Michael Carter Williams was a McDonald’s All American and road the bench his entire freshman year. What happened the following year? "

well actually MCW avg 10mpg season and 8 mpg in conference play 1st year . only DNP was our final game.
doesn't fit the agenda ?

I haven’t read anything negative about Buddy, i haven’t said anything negative about Buddy, we need him, I’m loving the way he is playing, but I do not like what I am seeing overall nor what I am hearing, again not related to 1 game , it’s about where we are headed

I also look at our program with a longer term view, not game to game, more in key recruiting class increments, after this incoming class it’s over, wake up, we can’t sign anyone for 20 forward, maybe we get Jackson, that’s it, 3 reasons and they are all related to the HC, it’s over , so hopefully it’s worth it bc by the time JB Walk’s out the door the basketball program will be similiar to when Dino took over, and if it’s Gerry as the new hc omg the program will be dead forever , none of the current assts should be considered

Try to enjoy what’s left, as someone wrote last night JB lives and dies game to game, clock is ticking
Are we a blue blood? Do we spend 6m per year on the hc plus plus plus? Do u think UNC will have any problems after he retires?

Do we have acceptable housing for student athletes...let alone new/state of the art living? Have you seen what we show recruits re housing?
This is our #1 problem after JB
Oh, please. Drama much?

"What? You have no idea how anything works. Michael Carter Williams was a McDonald’s All American and road the bench his entire freshman year. What happened the following year? "

well actually MCW avg 10mpg season and 8 mpg in conference play 1st year . only DNP was our final game.
doesn't fit the agenda ?
By my calculations, it looks like MCW played in 12 of SU's 18 regular season Big East games that season for a total of 96 minutes, and in half of those 12 games he played for 4 or fewer minutes. He actually put up excellent numbers statistically in those limited minutes, too.

Michael Carter-Williams 2011-12 Game Log | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Last edited:
check your link again . MP column is minutes played. shows the only DNP was our last loss to bearcats.
You check my link, and then look at MCW's stats in conference play. He appeared in 12 regular season Big East games as a freshman.

He played in that Cincinnati game, but not a full minute, so it gets recorded as O minutes played on his stat line (it looks like he went in and gave two fouls).

Last edited:
People should also realize that other teams have him scouted. He is going to see ball pressure if he gets any substantive minutes.

When Carey got in at the end of the Miami game, Lykes picked him up at mid court and was in his face applying pressure D even though the Canes were down 20. Larranaga waived him off. Makes me think the scouting report said pressure 5.

The one spot I’d be curious to see Jalen is when we press. He may be our best defensive guard.

hint: it's not about carey

exactly it's about finding reasons to complain about Boeheim. No issue is too small for the chronic complainers. Carey will be fine over the long term and needs to focus on the little thing sin practice to gte over the hump. He probably won't help too much this year but you never know. In any case, getting wins is more important and the bigger issue is getting Frank to play like last year and some greater consistency out of the center spot.

Cuse!

see aa111
Just speaking for myself, but I'm not saying that Jalen should be getting the same number of minutes as Buddy by any stretch of the imagination. Buddy has been playing very well, and should easily get 20 minutes per game.

All I'm saying is that there is a strong potential for Carey to get better and increase the overall strength of our lineup (that's my agenda BTW, increasing the strength of our lineup) if he is allowed to play through mistakes with greater flexibility than he is currently granted.
i understand your point, but su plays a low possession style versus good teams with good and/or experienced guards. one or two possessions can turn a game; how many possessions are you willing to sacrifice?

exactly it's about finding reasons to complain about Boeheim. No issue is too small for the chronic complainers.

Discussing and debating ideas about the team (e.g. something as innocuous as whether such-and-such player should play a few more minutes) is the reason sports message boards exist. It's just part of the entertainment of being a sports fan.

see aa111

i understand your point, but su plays a low possession style versus good teams with good and/or experienced guards. one or two possessions can turn a game; how many possessions are you willing to sacrifice?

If Jalen were to come in for a few minutes in each half, I think it would be a perfect opportunity to speed things up and accelerate our tempo. We only seem to press when we're desperate. Let's do it with a lead occasionally and use our athletes to our advantage.

Pretty clear to me. Carey is the fourth guard in a 3 guard rotation. Buddy's emergence is a key to that, but even more indicative is Tyus playing well with the ball in his hands. No issue at all with the allocation of backcourt minutes. Buddy passed Jalen in the pecking order, Frank is giving up minutes to Buddy as Tyus slides to the point and Carey is stuck on the bench. Evident meritocracy unless that doesn;t fit your narrative..

If Jalen were to come in for a few minutes in each half, I think it would be a perfect opportunity to speed things up and accelerate our tempo. We only seem to press when we're desperate. Let's do it with a lead occasionally and use our athletes to our advantage.
but it most often seems to be a disadvantage

Pretty clear to me. Carey is the fourth guard in a 3 guard rotation. Buddy's emergence is a key to that, but even more indicative is Tyus playing well with the ball in his hands. No issue at all with the allocation of backcourt minutes. Buddy passed Jalen in the pecking order, Frank is giving up minutes to Buddy as Tyus slides to the point and Carey is stuck on the bench. Evident meritocracy unless that doesn;t fit your narrative..
Carey is the 4th guard.
That is undisputed. Any rotation before the NCAAT should be able to be 4 deep though.
Especially our team when we have only 1 real stud.
Carey is useless now because his lack of PT.
It’s been 7 years now since we went a legit 4 deep at guard.

Discussing and debating ideas about the team (e.g. something as innocuous as whether such-and-such player should play a few more minutes) is the reason sports message boards exist. It's just part of the entertainment of being a sports fan.

Eric I don’t consider you one of the chronic complainers with little to add. Sorry it came off as directed at you. Your comments are well reasoned and offer different perspectives. I don’t have a problem with the thread at all. I just think the time has passed for Carey to get to play through mistakes. Too much at stake now.

Cuse!

You check my link, and then look at MCW's stats in conference play. He appeared in 12 regular season Big East games as a freshman.

He played in that Cincinnati game, but not a full minute, so it gets recorded as O minutes played on his stat line (it looks like he went in and gave two fouls).

git it. i thought your link was for all BE games. didn't add them up. when i saw the 0 minutes i figured it included dnps . my mistake. obvious now it was only games he saw court time.

Eric I don’t consider you one of the chronic complainers with little to add. Sorry it came off as directed at you. Your comments are well reasoned and offer different perspectives. I don’t have a problem with the thread at all. I just think the time has passed for Carey to get to play through mistakes. Too much at stake now.

Cuse!

I'd be curious to see how far you take that last statement. Let's say not playing Carey is the difference between an 8 seed or a 10 seed in the tourney. Now let's say that not playing Carey will lead him to transfer which will hamstring our chances next year. Which do we prefer? An 8 seed and losing the kid for good, or a 10 seed and having him here next year? What's more important?

let's say someone gets injured or hamstrung by fouls ? you pay your insurance bill hoping you won't need it.
but when you do you're damn glad you did.

let's say someone gets injured or hamstrung by fouls ? you pay your insurance bill hoping you won't need it.
but when you do you're damn glad you did.
The insurance bill has been paid up. He's played nearly as many minutes as Buddy on the season. If needed, he will be ready.

I haven’t read anything negative about Buddy, i haven’t said anything negative about Buddy, we need him, I’m loving the way he is playing, but I do not like what I am seeing overall nor what I am hearing, again not related to 1 game , it’s about where we are headed

I also look at our program with a longer term view, not game to game, more in key recruiting class increments, after this incoming class it’s over, wake up, we can’t sign anyone for 20 forward, maybe we get Jackson, that’s it, 3 reasons and they are all related to the HC, it’s over , so hopefully it’s worth it bc by the time JB Walk’s out the door the basketball program will be similiar to when Dino took over, and if it’s Gerry as the new hc omg the program will be dead forever , none of the current assts should be considered

Try to enjoy what’s left, as someone wrote last night JB lives and dies game to game, clock is ticking

Are we a blue blood? Do we spend 6m per year on the hc plus plus plus? Do u think UNC will have any problems after he retires?

Do we have acceptable housing for student athletes...let alone new/state of the art living? Have you seen what we show recruits re housing?
This is our #1 problem after JB

This is quite possibly one of the most over the top posts I’ve ever read on this site. Kudos to you. I didn’t think you could top yourself, but you did. I admire the gusto.

We are about to go into the toughest part of our schedule.
We have two people we need to strengthen as much as possible.
Who would you choose:
Jalen, who has shown only promise and very little of that lately OR
Frank, who has shown his ability and experience on both ends of the floor over a full career at Syracuse?

Frank may have problems, but they can go away as quickly as they came assuming it is not an injury issue.
Jalen would be like meat to wild animals against almost any team on the rest of our schedule. Imagine him against Virginia's guards let alone being eviscerated by Tre Jones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom