Why can't Carey play through one mistake? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Why can't Carey play through one mistake?

I'd be curious to see how far you take that last statement. Let's say not playing Carey is the difference between an 8 seed or a 10 seed in the tourney. Now let's say that not playing Carey will lead him to transfer which will hamstring our chances next year. Which do we prefer? An 8 seed and losing the kid for good, or a 10 seed and having him here next year? What's more important?
the former, because su is deep w/ point guard candidates next year. washington, goodine, girard.

neither the season nor the program will stand or fall with jalen carey.

So who's minutes does Carey take? Does Buddy lose time and the line up lose 3P shooting? Does Howard lose time ? Battle ?

We have some really tough games coming up including Louisville, UNC, Duke, and Virginia. Wake Forest & Clemson will be tough as well. We need every point and every defensive stop. We need to reduce TO's. It's hard to find 5-10 mins of playing time for a guy that tends to stop our offense cold. Next year I can see Carey playing alongside of Buddy, JGIII or Goodine. This year he needs to focus and work on his ball handling.

the former, because su is deep w/ point guard candidates next year. washington, goodine, girard.

neither the season nor the program will stand or fall with jalen carey.

From what I've been told, Goodine is the only true ACC level PG in that group. I'm sorry, but I'll need to see JG play a couple real games before I believe anything about him. I know he's a shooter and scorer in a low level NY league, and did pretty well on the Albany AAU squad. But after all I've been told about everyone else and the glory they are going to bring to SU, to include Jalen, I'm not trusting anything until I see it.

I really like HoWash and hope he gets some real run next year, but I feel like the coaching staff doesn't have the same belief in him that many of us do.

o
From what I've been told, Goodine is the only true ACC level PG in that group. I'm sorry, but I'll need to see JG play a couple real games before I believe anything about him. I know he's a shooter and scorer in a low level NY league, and did pretty well on the Albany AAU squad. But after all I've been told about everyone else and the glory they are going to bring to SU, to include Jalen, I'm not trusting anything until I see it.

I really like HoWash and hope he gets some real run next year, but I feel like the coaching staff doesn't have the same belief in him that many of us do.
I am hoping he redshirts.

i've heard that jgiii is expected to be a gmac-type point guard. apparently jb has said so himself. now, granted, i think that gmac is the most overrated player in syracuse history, but overrated does not mean bad and i will take a gmac level point over what i've seen from carey any day. this is not said to bash jalen nor to hope that he does transfer. just to point out that, should he decide to do so, the cupboard is far from bare.

i've heard that jgiii is expected to be a gmac-type point guard. apparently jb has said so himself. now, granted, i think that gmac is the most overrated player in syracuse history, but overrated does not mean bad and i will take a gmac level point over what i've seen from carey any day. this is not said to bash jalen nor to hope that he does transfer. just to point out that, should he decide to do so, the cupboard is far from bare.
GMAC overrated. Been so long. So glad you brought it back. Priceless.

Buddy is finding ways to contribute more when he isn't hitting the 3, but the more he is out there when not hot, the diminishing returns escalate. I think JB has a tough conversation with Frank and maybe a tough call on his PT moving forward. We need to change something up at the start of games. Problem is sitting Frank did not seem to be a motivator last night. I can live with his lack of guard skills but his lack of effort and his total nonchalance is unacceptable.

JB should play all the young dudes more historically IMO.....and I think he's handled Buddy perfectly.

A good example, sitting him against Va. Tech. He couldn't have handled that defensive pressure very well - at least I doubt it. So, unless the right situation presents itself that game, let him sit. Otherwise, you get him minutes because he has a skill we can use if he can acclimate himself to game pressure - that's in spite of the fact that he was shooting at sub-Ron Patterson, etc...RED LIGHT, called out in press conferences for being worthless-type shooting levels for most of the first half of the season. It's the way I've always wanted him to get the young dudes into the rotation.

I think with Carey we missed some chances to get him more PT as we tried to get Frank back and healthy. Frank though, wow, he's giving us crap.

However, chalk it up to whatever you want, Carey is a mess right now. He sees a defender, blows by, and loses the ball. It's almost every time. I'm not sure you can keep dealing with that.....maybe just tell him to focus on doing nothing but handing the ball off to Tyus if you think his D is better than Frank's? I just don't see it the easy answer on this one.

I mean, JB is in a rough spot at the PG position. Who do you roll the dice on while trying to win enough to get into the tourney? At least Frank has some history... They're both sort of useless of late - but Frank doesn't turn the ball over at that rate - but maybe JC improves? Honestly, usually I think JB effs up the young players a bit regarding their PT, but because of Frank's injury, I think this was a rough one to deal with, and I don't envy him.

The fact that Frank has been pretty awful has made it harder, not easier, IMO for JB regarding the rotation at the PG spot.

Honestly, OB might be a better PG than those two at the moment. :)

i've heard that jgiii is expected to be a gmac-type point guard. apparently jb has said so himself. now, granted, i think gmac is the most overrated player in syracuse history, but overrated does not mean bad and i will take a gmac level point over what i've seen from carey any day. this is not said to bash jalen nor to hope that he does transfer. just to point out that, should he decide to do so, the cupboard is far from bare.
Where have I heard that before?
1549859471123.jpeg

Are we a blue blood? Do we spend 6m per year on the hc plus plus plus? Do u think UNC will have any problems after he retires?

Do we have acceptable housing for student athletes...let alone new/state of the art living? Have you seen what we show recruits re housing?
This is our #1 problem after JB

We do. More than acceptable housing, in fact.

If the snowflake-kids don't like it, then I guess I'm not too disappointed that they'd rather go to a different university.

We do. More than acceptable housing, in fact.

If the snowflake-kids don't like it, then I guess I'm not too disappointed that they'd rather go to a different university.

Overhaul of athlete housing is high on Dino's wish list as well. I don;t doubt something happens there sooner rather than later. Probably should start a sub-thread in the Campus Framework discussion.

Overhaul of athlete housing is high on Dino's wish list as well. I don;t doubt something happens there sooner rather than later. Probably should start a sub-thread in the Campus Framework discussion.

I know. But for some messageboard fan to portray it as not "acceptable" is...well, unacceptable. In a thread about teenagers possibly being frustrated because they're not getting to play a game as much as they want, when they're getting perfectly nice room and board and a free education, that line struck me as completely tone-deaf and lacking perspective.

I hope our fans are rooting for Syracuse University to win games and to treat its student-athletes well while not caving to outrageous urges to replace nice, adequate housing with (fill in the blank with whatever excesses are being carried out elsewhere).

I know. But for some messageboard fan to portray it as not "acceptable" is...well, unacceptable. In a thread about teenagers possibly being frustrated because they're not getting to play a game as much as they want, when they're getting perfectly nice room and board and a free education, that line struck me as completely tone-deaf and lacking perspective.

I hope our fans are rooting for Syracuse University to win games and to treat its student-athletes well while not caving to outrageous urges to replace nice, adequate housing with (fill in the blank with whatever excesses are being carried out elsewhere).

I'm with you 100%. Aging myself but I remember when Skytop opened how many thought we werew coddling our athletes. Unfortunately from the recruited athlete's perspective it is a relative perception, not an absolute. Nice and adequate housing built 35 years ago pales in comparison to what other programs offer now. We don't need indoor water parks and Louisville-like perks ;) but an upgrade to contemporary residences with at least some added amenities seems to be the new criterion in the facilities arms race.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom