Why can't I quit you? | Syracusefan.com

Why can't I quit you?

SUinNWE

Scout Team
By half time Thursday night, I was convinced I wasn't going to watch another down, the rest of the season. A feeling all to familiar over the past two decades.

2020 was the most recent time where I felt like this but the circumstances of the world made watching a little more tolerable.

The end of the Shafer era felt similar. During the Louisville game in 2015, I was so furious about that game/season, that I went out and cleared my gutters. To your surprise, this chore brought me no distraction. I watched the final few games to the bittersweet end of the Shafer era.

Watching this team start 4-0, you could see the cracks in the dam. Poor decision making by Shrader, poor OL play, flat defensive drives against inferior opponents, the insane amount of penalties. I talked myself out of the ugliness. The team is rusty, injuries, I'm just being a negative Syracuse fan, etc. Bottom line is the signs were there and I didn't want to believe them.

Here I am, Monday morning, my stance is softening and the desire to watch (and hurt again) are creeping back in.

Quit Dave Chappelle GIF

I’ll be there Friday day night as always, But I attended through the GRob era, so I can take anything. Some illogical , non fact based voice in my head is telling me they could salvage something out of the season …….. pretty sad huh.

I'll be in attendance Friday night, and will witness the potential "boos" if we get behind early. If that is the case, it's not going to be pretty, at all. Every aspect of this team is flat, with the exception of punting. I get that they're only 'kids' but most were recruited to come play here, so at some point in their athletic lives, they were pretty good. Good enough to play D-1. I will be drinking at my tailgate, with a somber attitude...

Yeah. I learned a long time ago, the people who do the whole “I’m done” “I quit” “I’m not watching Saturday” are unequivocally full.of.śhît

True.

The trick is learning to brush it off like water off a duck's back.

"Oh well, this is not going to get me furious, give my dog the shakes, and ruin my weekend"

I say some version of this out loud as an affirmation in these games and it works for me.

Yes, I admit, it's some form of apathy.

True.

The trick is learning to brush it off like water off a duck's back.

"Oh well, this is not going to get me furious, give my dog the shakes, and ruin my weekend"

I say some version of this out loud as an affirmation in these games and it works for me.

Yes, I admit, it's some form of apathy.

It's been a slow burn for me, but this is pretty much where I've evolved to in my fandom of SU sports nowadays. Boeheim's "Family Affair" approach his last 5 seasons or so, and how the AD handled that situation also contributed as well. Throw in the present state of college sports, NIL, transfer portal, etc. and it has all been the 'perfect storm' so to speak from my perspective.

I guess, somewhat peculiarly, it's somewhat refreshing, like a weight lifted off of my shoulders, etc. as I'm no longer invested, especially emotionally, with every grain of my being.