Why can't SU be the highest bidder? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why can't SU be the highest bidder?

Who exactly confirmed a bidding war? Was there a bidding war on Coleman too? What do the secret unnamed sources say?

Apparently Kentucky didn't deem DC2 worthy of a bidding war. They were waiting for a Noel bidding war, even though at the time DC2 committed, Noel was still in the class of 2013. Fortunate, huh?

Or maybe these bidding war stories are a bunch of baloney.

every reporter in America would love to bust open a story like that, yet none of those paid professionals have the info that you do? and you will sit there and complain about Calipari, yet not divulge the secret info you have that could bring the whole thing down? that would make you complicit - that is, if there was an actual conspiracy, which there isn't.

it's BS and you know it.

in this case? yes, I will, even though it will probably earn me a ban. and, please, stop with the "he called it." Yes, he has legit sources, but not on this. He made 500 different predictions and dropped the money innuendo at the last minute just to cover his azz.
i am dumbfounded as well that if this was true, someone would be able to break the story, which makes me think it's not true. however, on the other side, a nba scout was talking to a friend of mine at a game this season and said that cal's price tag is $200k for a player, and in cash, which is why no one can track it. the nba scout even made it sound like this was well known to everyone involved in basketball and they would try to get the players to slip up and mention it during draft interviews. who knows, maybe the scout it just buying into the rumors as well and that's all they are.

In my opnion, I think there are schools that "support" or have "supporters" for kids they are recruiting/recruit. Which schools and how many schools? I have no idea, but I am not naive enough to believe it doesn't happen. It has happened in the past (SMU), and I am sure that scared a lot of schools, but I am sure there are some schools that "look the other way" when "supporters" of their school "assist" recruits.

i am dumbfounded as well that if this was true, someone would be able to break the story, which makes me think it's not true. however, on the other side, a nba scout was talking to a friend of mine at a game this season and said that cal's price tag is $200k for a player, and in cash, which is why no one can track it. the nba scout even made it sound like this was well known to everyone involved in basketball and they would try to get the players to slip up and mention it during draft interviews.
And it's not like Calipari walks down the street into the recruit's home in the middle of the day with a briefcase of money. Cal never touches, sees, or smells the money. It never directly reaches the recruit either. All 3rd party, impossible to track and prove it happened.

If I tell my uncle to have a friend set up an account, then I give the access to your cousin's room mate, how can they prove it went from me to you?

They even made a movie about it - Blue Chips. Also could throw He Got Game in there.

Seriously, if there were a way to compare Noel's family's spending these past 12 months with these next 12 months, I think we'd notice something

I've heard first hand a D1 player say he got paid to play

Saying jake "lied" is completely false...after all he did call it being uk correct? The info just got to him later

And it's not like Calipari walks down the street into the recruit's home in the middle of the day with a briefcase of money. Cal never touches, sees, or smells the money. It never directly reaches the recruit either. All 3rd party, impossible to track and prove it happened.

If I tell my uncle to have a friend set up an account, then I give the access to your cousin's room mate, how can they prove it went from me to you?
oh, i agree there are many ways to hide the money. however, if someone really tried to find it, i am sure it could be found.

i definitely think something shady goes on, and i doubt calipari ever "touches" it.

Jake's comment that nerlens' was a lock to georgetown, then all a sudden at the 11th hour, it was kentucky was oddly similar to what the same scout said happened to terrence jones (on his way to washington and then cal offered up more cash).

as a syracuse supporter, i rather stay miles away from under the table money and be mediocre, than have su cheat and win titles. it might be nice in the short term, but once it is out in public and sanctions are placed on you, it will be tough to live with.

No thank you.

I am one of the least religious people on the planet yet I can't help but believe strongly in karma. Sanctions, penalties, program-shattering suspensions don't scare me ... but knowing that something I spent much of my life passionate about was a lie, the associated guilt felt in supporting it, and the regret of all those artificial emotions would be more than enough to outweigh any number of NCs. Even a guarantee of never getting caught comes at that price.

If it is ever found that a significant portion of the recent history of the SU hoops program was truly corrupted and knowingly cheating, I would never watch a single game again. Games, sports, business, whatever... cheating is unforgivable.

i am dumbfounded as well that if this was true, someone would be able to break the story, which makes me think it's not true. however, on the other side, a nba scout was talking to a friend of mine at a game this season and said that cal's price tag is $200k for a player, and in cash, which is why no one can track it. the nba scout even made it sound like this was well known to everyone involved in basketball and they would try to get the players to slip up and mention it during draft interviews. who knows, maybe the scout it just buying into the rumors as well and that's all they are.
Umm, the IRS, neighbors, and local media wouldn't notice a poor to middle class family coming into 200k cash? ok

i am dumbfounded as well that if this was true, someone would be able to break the story, which makes me think it's not true. however, on the other side, a nba scout was talking to a friend of mine at a game this season and said that cal's price tag is $200k for a player, and in cash, which is why no one can track it. the nba scout even made it sound like this was well known to everyone involved in basketball and they would try to get the players to slip up and mention it during draft interviews.

$200k was the number stated by a reporter for the Sun Times back in August 2010 in the purported Anthony Davis sweepstakes. That reporter was really adamant about it too, said he had 3 sources and everything. Turned out he was full of . Not sure how the guy still has his job to be honest.

I would love for it to be true, but hoping and wishing does not make it so.

Apparently Kentucky didn't deem DC2 worthy of a bidding war. They were waiting for a Noel bidding war, even though at the time DC2 committed, Noel was still in the class of 2013. Fortunate, huh?

Or maybe these bidding war stories are a bunch of baloney.
I'm not so naive to believe that money and/or favors are not sometimes exchanged during the recruitment of some high profile kids. However, the thought that typically there are eleventh hour bidding wars where various schools make their best and final "offer" and only then the kid and his family make a decision seems a bit out there.

Blame it on CTO - we all know she is very generous to the university.

Sounds like many here want her to change the name on the checks from "Syracuse University" to "The Next Great Blue Chip Star."

$200k was the number stated by a reporter for the Sun Times back in August 2010 in the purported Anthony Davis sweepstakes. That reporter was really adamant about it too, said he had 3 sources and everything. Turned out he was full of ****. Not sure how the guy still has his job to be honest.

i agree. and you also hae to take into account the calipari doesn't get every recruit he wants (i.e. shabazz). why wouldn't kid who said no like shabazz mention that calipari tried to offer him money? does calipari only offer it to kids he know he can get?

btw people close to DC2 talk about how his girlfriend was offered a job in lexington a la Chris Duhon's mother's 100K desk job in Durham
That can't be true cause Dook doesn't cheat either:rolleyes:

What does IRS tracking expenses do? Nothing. His family gets offered high paying jobs on which they will pay taxes. Everything is "clean". Your gf getting a high paying job next to you and you both spending the money is just as good as you getting the cash. But is completely legal and sanction free. That's how Cal does it. And this is what DC2 was offered by his own account.

No one in their right mind actually gives money directly to the recruit. It's either jobs to family members who then send the recruit a cut while he's in school, or its bank accounts set up for his relatives. Then few months later the recruit's uncle starts giving him money. Your family supporting you is completely clean at that point.

Right now we're under far too much scrutiny with Fine/Fab/Drugs and whatnot. If we're gonna turn to the dark side, we should wait a few years for another school to become the bad guy du jour.

Seriously. Just what we need to do is start paying players. Christ they would all lobby for the freaking death penalty fter the sh1tstorm we went through already this season.

Seriously. Just what we need to do is start paying players. Christ they would all lobby for the freaking death penalty fter the sh1tstorm we went through already this season.

No that's dumb. NCAA needs to stop the practice.

i agree. and you also hae to take into account the calipari doesn't get every recruit he wants (i.e. shabazz). why wouldn't kid who said no like shabazz mention that calipari tried to offer him money? does calipari only offer it to kids he know he can get?

Maybe he doesn't want to blow the whistle and keep Noel from getting money? Maybe UCLA offered more?

I don't know either way; I 100% assume that players are absolutely getting money and there are a lot more violations going on than get reported. I have no proof and no idea exactly how it works, but it has been going on from the beginning of college sports, I see no reason to think it's stopped.

I remember in Fab Five, Mitch Albom relayed a story about how minutes before Chris Webber committed to Michigan, Chris's father got a phone call from someone with either Ole Miss or Miss State (can't remember which, his father was from Mississippi) offering him something like $150,000 to commit to their school.

Still waiting for a name of someone with details of what's going on. We need to make this public.

$200k was the number stated by a reporter for the Sun Times back in August 2010 in the purported Anthony Davis sweepstakes. That reporter was really adamant about it too, said he had 3 sources and everything. Turned out he was full of ****. Not sure how the guy still has his job to be honest.

Oh, c'mon. Kentucky threatened legal action and the Sun Times took it off the Web for fear of being sued. That doesn't mean it didn't happen - it just means that (most) news organizations don't have the resources to stand up to these threats, or go through prolonged legal battles. And why didn't Kentucky pursue a lawsuit? It was all just a threat - there is a very good reason that guy still has his job.

Talk to anyone that is close to recruiting - it's not nearly as pristine as you're making it out to be.

Moqui...I like most of your posts and respect you as a valuable poster..but, saying...

"in this case? yes, I will, even though it will probably earn me a ban. and, please, stop with the "he called it." Yes, he has legit sources, but not on this. He made 500 different predictions and dropped the money innuendo at the last minute just to cover his azz."

On the one hand you say that someone who actually sees a bird swoop down and catch a fish is a witness and therefore credible, on the other you don't qualify your statement above in any way, and state that is was a "cover his azz" effort.

Do you know that as a fact? Do you somehow know from whom, what, and where Jake got that information? You're just as guilty making that unfounded speculative statement as the people you accuse of having no solid proof.

Hate to get into spitting contests on the internet, but I'm disappointed in that post.

Still waiting for a name of someone with details of what's going on. We need to make this public.
Enjoy being relevant while it lasts, your king down there Calipari will be laughing all the way to the bank when he leaves UK in shambles

If we are short on benefit$ and handler$, then maybe it's time for TDG to address this on the fundraising circuit - or at least off the record.

Wait a second, you honestly think Daryl Gross should encourage donors to behave in ways that would violate NCAA rules? I couldn't think of a worse idea. How does Gross guarantee that such conversations stay "off the record"? If the NCAA ever got wind of such conversations, you might as well drop a bomb on the Carrier Dome.

Please read some accounts of past recruiting scandals. Athletic directors don't involve themselves in these matters. It's not good for job security. Blue Curtain, you've come up with some whoppers in the past (e.g. NBA courts being larger, Boeheim's substitution philosophy), but this might be your best effort yet.