Why can't SU be the highest bidder? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why can't SU be the highest bidder?

The NBA courts being larger is one of my favorite ones ever.

Moqui...I like most of your posts and respect you as a valuable poster..but, saying...

"in this case? yes, I will, even though it will probably earn me a ban. and, please, stop with the "he called it." Yes, he has legit sources, but not on this. He made 500 different predictions and dropped the money innuendo at the last minute just to cover his azz."

On the one hand you say that someone who actually sees a bird swoop down and catch a fish is a witness and therefore credible, on the other you don't qualify your statement above in any way, and state that is was a "cover his azz" effort.

Do you know that as a fact? Do you somehow know from whom, what, and where Jake got that information? You're just as guilty making that unfounded speculative statement as the people you accuse of having no solid proof.

Hate to get into spitting contests on the internet, but I'm disappointed in that post.
Bevo, I stand by my position, but I have said all I am going to say on this matter other than to acknowledge that your criticisms are fair.

Right now we're under far too much scrutiny with Fine/Fab/Drugs and whatnot. If we're gonna turn to the dark side, we should wait a few years for another school to become the bad guy du jour.
might want to take an ethics course before you get out of college...

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal, mscanlo?
maybe, but it's a good pedestal to be on. concerns me that so many people in the business world/entering the business world think it is easy to blur the rules, but then cry when they get caught.

didn't mean to call out just black knight, but although many are jokingly commenting, i question how many fans would really want to see SU cough up money to get players and think it is ok

Maybe he doesn't want to blow the whistle and keep Noel from getting money? Maybe UCLA offered more?

I don't know either way; I 100% assume that players are absolutely getting money and there are a lot more violations going on than get reported. I have no proof and no idea exactly how it works, but it has been going on from the beginning of college sports, I see no reason to think it's stopped.

I remember in Fab Five, Mitch Albom relayed a story about how minutes before Chris Webber committed to Michigan, Chris's father got a phone call from someone with either Ole Miss or Miss State (can't remember which, his father was from Mississippi) offering him something like $150,000 to commit to their school.
this is one of my biggest concerns about "pay to play"/subsidizing college athletes. if the ncaa can't control it right nwo when it is against the rules, how the heck are they going to control it when it is not?

maybe, but it's a good pedestal to be on. concerns me that so many people in the business world/entering the business world think it is easy to blur the rules, but then cry when they get caught.

didn't mean to call out just black knight, but although many are jokingly commenting, i question how many fans would really want to see SU cough up money to get players and think it is ok

Agreed, and I'm partly joking. I also think there may be an "industry standard" of bending the rules that all major programs must partake in to be competitive/successful. Per Francis's post from earlier today, we seem to do better when we evaluate early (and accurately - our staff is amazing at talent evaluation) and close the deal before it gets too dirty.

Agreed, and I'm partly joking. I also think there may be an "industry standard" of bending the rules that all major programs must partake in to be competitive/successful. Per Francis's post from earlier today, we seem to do better when we evaluate early (and accurately - our staff is amazing at talent evaluation) and close the deal before it gets too dirty.
no worries, all in good fun. but many people, not just su fans, think it is the way to go in college sports. living in SEC country, yu get the sense many people would be ok with "buying a program" for short-term success

I don't know Nerlens Noel personally, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and taking him at his word. One thing he brought up last night was that at one point Kentucky was just "in the mix" but after they won it, they immediately became higher in his eyes.

If I take off the orange-colored rims, and make myself a high-prized recruit, I easily see picking Kentucky. At this point, does Cal really need to "buy" recruits, now that he has shown he is capable of regular success with these "super" classes, it pretty much sells it self, he really doesn't have to do much at all. His checklist of accomplishments would be mighty attractive for any top recruit. I think most players can live without winning the SEC tournament if it means they will win it all at the end.

Be Ranked #1 for most of the season
Win the SEC tournament X
Let his players play to their strengths
Make the final four
Win the National Championship

I'm saying why wouldn't the NCAA investigate this. Nevermind they're too busy investigating kids like Michael Oher because their parents might want them to go to a certain school.
Remember the old Tarkanian line" The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, they put Cleveland State on probation"

Did they report this to the NCAA? Why are so many people trying to protect Kentucky?
Or Carlos Boozer's move to the RTP area and immediately finding a 6 figure job.

ventura.jpg

That is what you saying and while I would have loved NN on the Orange I don't want to become an complete outlaw program. cWo is good enough for me.

might want to take an ethics course before you get out of college...

I'd love for us to never pay for a player, but I'm not naive. If stuff is going to go on under the table, I wouldn't think it would be right after the whole mess of a year we went through.

Yes, this is my first post. Been a lurker and sometimes poster since the old forum. Every college basketball team finds ways to get around things...even ours. We aren't squeaky clean either.