Why can't teams run a simple QB dive? | Syracusefan.com

Why can't teams run a simple QB dive?

Eric15

Living Legend
Last night down three in OT, Oklahoma had 4th and about two feet, and elected to kick the field goal. This is incomprehensible to me. They were in an advantageous situation to win the game and just gave it away.

Realistically, what are the chances Mayfield would get stopped falling forward behind his center just needing a couple feet? Maybe 20% absolute tops? After kicking the field goal, suddenly the game is a coin flip again and you put the ball back in the hands of UGA's all-world running backs.

A QB dive is probably the simplest offensive play in football. It is so difficult for a defense to stop the momentum of getting a foot or two without jumping offsides. Tom Brady has mastered this.

So many teams (including SU at times) have these Ferrari offenses, when sometimes you just need to be a Toyota Corolla.

I think their young coach got a little too cute. He had to sense that his team looked weaker going into OT. Some play calls down the stretch were more cute than smart IMHO.

Last night down three in OT, Oklahoma had 4th and about two feet, and elected to kick the field goal. This is incomprehensible to me. They were in an advantageous situation to win the game and just gave it away.

Realistically, what are the chances Mayfield would get stopped falling forward behind his center just needing a couple feet? Maybe 20% absolute tops? After kicking the field goal, suddenly the game is a coin flip again and you put the ball back in the hands of UGA's all-world running backs.

A QB dive is probably the simplest offensive play in football. It is so difficult for a defense to stop the momentum of getting a foot or two without jumping offsides. Tom Brady has mastered this.

So many teams (including SU at times) have these Ferrari offenses, when sometimes you just need to be a Toyota Corolla.

Agree 100%. It just seems crazy not to try and get the 2 feet more times than not regardless. Especially those teams with good push up front. I have a lot more faith in that than I do any college kicker. Nobody is blaming the coach for the blocked FG though, go for it and don't get the first well then their is a social media meltdown... It factors into a lot of coaches decision making.

Most underused play ever is a QB sneak.

Tom Brady is probably the best ever at it. No clue how teams can see the patriots constantly using it and succeeding with it, but refusing to incorporate it.

They tighten up. Sometimes the simplest solution is the right one. Out-think themselves.

On 3rd and 2, in OT, Oklahoma runs a jet sweep to a seldom-used WR to the short side? Why? Would you ever run that play in that situation?

On 4th down, to your point, just QB sneak it. Heck, if you are that worried, have the RB come up behind him and push him after he hits the gap, it's legal now (the ol' Bush Push).

I don't really like OU or UGA, but I did feel OU was the better team. I cannot believe they basically neutered Baker Mayfield in the OT.

Totally separate, did anyone have flashbacks to Coach P's Syracuse teams that ran short-side option? OU could not run that well to save its life. Terrible spacing.

OU had so many bad decisions by players running the ball.. but that why you get when you dont let the RB run.

the whole OT series of play calls by OK was just so bad.
Agreed, it was awful play calling. Granted they were running the ball well but less and less as the game wore on and they have the Heisman Trophy QB for Christ’s sake

Wentz with Philly has also become a master of the qb sneak this year. I believe they were like 10-10 on 4th and 1 or shorter or something ridiculous.

To add on to the above, you also have to factor in the human element of spotting. It seems basically impossible not to get an inch. Your center would have to be pushed backwards.

The same thing happened in the LSU/Notre Dame game. LSU had a 4th and goal on the one inch line and elected to kick a field goal to take a 17-14 lead. At that point I felt ND would come back and win the game.

In the words of Herman Edwards, "You play to win the game." Too often, coaches get tentative when they should trust their players.

What if that ~20% hits though. You go for it, in OT, and come up short. Seasons over. That's a brutal way to lose

What if that ~20% hits though. You go for it, in OT, and come up short. Seasons over. That's a brutal way to lose

20% is actually probably too high. I bet its closer to 5-10% of failing, which is better odds than getting the snap/hold/kick right on a field goal attempt.

20% is actually probably too high. I bet its closer to 5-10% of failing, which is better odds than getting the snap/hold/kick right on a field goal attempt.

Don't get me wrong... I'm with ya. Aggression/Math is in your favor

Agree completely, but isn't this also down to the advent of the shotgun and the rarity of the QB ever being under center?

I understand it's the same with the Pats and they get it to work, but I think the lack of comfort level is a factor elsewhere.

Great thread. This is probably my biggest rant when I have football conversations. Seeing the Giants fail on numerous 3rd and 1's over the years, I can't for the life of me figure out why Eli could never sneak it a yard. No, let's instead pitch it out to Ron Dayne or Brandon Jacobs.

Totally separate, did anyone have flashbacks to Coach P's Syracuse teams that ran short-side option? OU could not run that well to save its life. Terrible spacing.

That play always drove me crazy. Our RBs seemed to always run out of room. Never understood his fondness for that play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom