Why Connecticut Will Win | Syracusefan.com

Why Connecticut Will Win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Because we will find a way to lose.

- Because we will have a hard time rolling up the yards against the #6 defense in the NCAA. Last year they were #4 against the run but #113 against the pass but they got everybody back and this year they are #13 vs. the run and #8 against the pass. They are 14th in sacks and 21st in tackles for a loss. This is the most formidable defense we will face all year.

- Meanwhile our dynamic no-huddle offense has produced 10, 14 and 15 points in the last three games. I like the “upward” trend but those numbers don’t win modern college football games. The turnovers and penalties have hurt but a key stat in those games is that we were 14 for 42 on third down conversions in those games, (33%) after being 53% in the first three games.

- Because Trevardo Williams, who had 12 1/5 sacks last year and has 7 more this year, will be after Ryan Nassib, who shrinks under pressure, on every play.

- Because Lyle McCombs, who rushed for 1,151 yards last year and had his best game against us with 152 yards, is back after an injury. He’s the centerpiece to their offense.

- UCONN will make it an ugly frustrating game. We need one successful play to lead to another to put drives together. They won’t let us do that- and neither will we.

- Doug Marrone’s great after a bye. He hates short weeks. You aren’t good at what you hate.

- The Pasqualoni- DeLeone brain trust vs. the Marrone-Hackett brain trust. Who do you like?

- Because we will find a way to lose.

- Because we will have a hard time rolling up the yards against the #6 defense in the NCAA. Last year they were #4 against the run but #113 against the pass but they got everybody back and this year they are #13 vs. the run and #8 against the pass. They are 14th in sacks and 21st in tackles for a loss. This is the most formidable defense we will face all year.

- Meanwhile our dynamic no-huddle offense has produced 10, 14 and 15 points in the last three games. I like the “upward” trend but those numbers don’t win modern college football games. The turnovers and penalties have hurt but a key stat in those games is that we were 14 for 42 on third down conversions in those games, (33%) after being 53% in the first three games.

- Because Trevardo Williams, who had 12 1/5 sacks last year and has 7 more this year, will be after Ryan Nassib, who shrinks under pressure, on every play.

- Because Lyle McCombs, who rushed for 1,151 yards last year and had his best game against us with 152 yards, is back after an injury. He’s the centerpiece to their offense.

- UCONN will make it an ugly frustrating game. We need one successful play to lead to another to put drives together. They won’t let us do that- and neither will we.

- Doug Marrone’s great after a bye. He hates short weeks. You aren’t good at what you hate.

- The Pasqualoni- DeLeone brain trust vs. the Marrone-Hackett brain trust. Who do you like?

You mean that steel curtain UCONN D that surrendered 30 to Western Michigan? Granted it looks like WMU ran a strip sack back for a touchdown but still.

Surprise, Surprise! The key will be turnovers. If we turn the ball over and give UCONN a short field, they will be able to score. I don't think they can go the whole field consistently. If they give it to us, big advantage for SU. If we don't turn it over, I like our chances. If we give it to them, we will be in trouble.

you had me after the first bullet.

whethere its turnovers, penalties, drops, missed tackles or some other "unforced errors" we know no bounds when it comes to making our own life difficult.

Our running game no longer exists.

Lyle McCombs has been a total non-factor for us this season. P and D insist on running him between the tackles as often as possible and it gets us nowhere.

The offensive line last year was still decent enough to support a decent running game, but DeLeone insisted on taking over the OLine coaching too and he has thoroughly ruined them as a unit.

I think if UConn has any luck moving the ball against Syracuse it will be through the air. And that is a huge IF.

The defense is good, but they get tired from being on the field constantly.

This is the most formidable defense we will face all year.

Didn't everybody say that last week?

Our running game no longer exists.

Lyle McCombs has been a total non-factor for us this season. P and D insist on running him between the tackles as often as possible and it gets us nowhere.

The offensive line last year was still decent enough to support a decent running game, but DeLeone insisted on taking over the OLine coaching too and he has thoroughly ruined them as a unit.

I think if UConn has any luck moving the ball against Syracuse it will be through the air. And that is a huge IF.

The defense is good, but they get tired from being on the field constantly.

I always thought DeLeone was an excellent offensive line coach. The best line we've had in the two platoon era was the group he put together in the late 80's that had a huge impact on our revival at that time.

I always thought DeLeone was an excellent offensive line coach. The best line we've had in the two platoon era was the group he put together in the late 80's that had a huge impact on our revival at that time.

DeLeone still coaches like its the late '80s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom