Why did SU end the "New York's College Team" campaign? | Syracusefan.com

Why did SU end the "New York's College Team" campaign?

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
Jokes about this past weekend aside, does anyone know what the back story is behind the decision to nuke the campaign? Assuming focus groups showed there wasnt enough penetration to merit the continued spending, but curious if anyone knows the specifics of the when and why it was decided to end it?

Like a lot of bad things Daryl Gross did...like hire Greg Robinson, we will forget this slogan he created...

I know we had a 4 year deal to put a sign in Yankee Stadium that wasn't renewed.

The University had a big influence in the original decision. A LOT of money coming from the NYC area

Like a lot of bad things Daryl Gross did...like hire Greg Robinson, we will forget this slogan he created...
Because it was corny as hell. So dumb.
My theory on it was that it was probably to convince the ACC we had the NYC market cornered and once we got into the ACC we were all set.

I’m amazed about how many SU fans are here in Florida. And it’s still not snowbird season yet.

It drove all 3,000 St. John’s fans nuts, to the point where they had to spend money on an “We are New York’s Team” ad, so that was a fun aspect of it. We also had UConn falling over themselves to copy us with the lame “UConn: The 6th Borough”, because ya know, we all equate Storrs, CT which is 200+ miles away as a borough of New York City. Amazingly, power conferences didn’t feel the same way during realignment.

It probably had no bearing, but if it got us 1% closer to the ACC it was worth it to me.

It was a good idea. I believe the AD is focusing more of their current efforts on closer locales, meaning Rochester, Utica, Albany, etc.
If we want to continually grow our attendance in the Dome this is the best way to do it. It’s also crazy to me that we have a high school in Elmira that renamed their mascot the Express to honor Ernie Davis and we have done nothing to create a partnership.

I heard they ended it for a cooling off period with the intent to reprise as:

"Notre Dame Sucks. Syracuse, New York's Real College Team."

Those plans were set back an additional four years this weekend.

New CEOs (e.g., Wildhack) love to get rid of advertising slogans associated with former CEOs (e.g., Gross). They want to establish their own identity. When Jack Welch retired at GE, new CEO Jeff Immelt immediately ditched "We Bring Good Things to Life" (one of the best known slogans in the world) and replaced it with "Imagination at Work" (which was already being used by Disney). Things sure worked out for GE, didn't they?

If this sounds like sour grapes coming from a member of the Welch team at GE, so be it. Because it's true.

Last edited:
it's an insult for any new yorker (and there are lots of them) who don't root for syracuse.

New CEOs (e.g., Wildhack) love to get rid of advertising slogans associated with former CEOs (e.g., Gross). They want to establish their own identity. When Jack Welch retired at GE, new CEO Jeff Immelt ditched "We Bring Good Things to Life" (one of the best known slogans in the world) and replaced it with "Imagination at Work" (which was already being used by Disney). Things sure worked out for GE, didn't they?

If this sounds like sour grapes coming from a member of the Welch team at GE, so be it. Because it's true.

Immelt to Greg of corporate America