Why did SU end the "New York's College Team" campaign? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why did SU end the "New York's College Team" campaign?

Jokes about this past weekend aside, does anyone know what the back story is behind the decision to nuke the campaign? Assuming focus groups showed there wasn't enough penetration to merit the continued spending, but curious if anyone knows the specifics of the when and why it was decided to end it?

"NY's College Team" was an attempt to tie-in Syracuse to a major metro area (NYC) to generate heat and prominence in a pre-ACC. It was a swagger move by an AD who felt compelled to make some moves.

With what Wildhack inherited, it was a post-ACC situation and a different chancellor with more global aspirations and a different focus altogether. Given Wildhack could literally call ESPN and get a Dino on this/that/the other thing and Boeheim was already Boeheim, I sense Wildhack views building Syracuse as the national brand, not the leader of a state.

Not sure one is right, or wrong. I just like what JW seems to be doing.

New CEOs (e.g., Wildhack) love to get rid of advertising slogans associated with former CEOs (e.g., Gross). They want to establish their own identity. When Jack Welch retired at GE, new CEO Jeff Immelt immediately ditched "We Bring Good Things to Life" (one of the best known slogans in the world) and replaced it with "Imagination at Work" (which was already being used by Disney). Things sure worked out for GE, didn't they?

If this sounds like sour grapes coming from a member of the Welch team at GE, so be it. Because it's true.
I remember "Progress is our most important product". Gee I'm getting old.

New CEOs (e.g., Wildhack) love to get rid of advertising slogans associated with former CEOs (e.g., Gross). They want to establish their own identity. When Jack Welch retired at GE, new CEO Jeff Immelt immediately ditched "We Bring Good Things to Life" (one of the best known slogans in the world) and replaced it with "Imagination at Work" (which was already being used by Disney). Things sure worked out for GE, didn't they?

If this sounds like sour grapes coming from a member of the Welch team at GE, so be it. Because it's true.

Didn't Jack handpick Immelt? GE's death began in 2009 when Buffet saved it.

I think it’s great branding for the school. If gives us a unique angle and can help program in state kids to stay home. It also marked our territory to Rutgers who we were battling for recruits at that time and will again in the future.

I thought it was a terrible idea to let the Yankee stadium sign go especially bc Rutgers immed snapped it up to put their sign in same spot

I think it’s great branding for the school. If gives us a unique angle and can help program in state kids to stay home. It also marked our territory to Rutgers who we were battling for recruits at that time and will again in the future.

I thought it was a terrible idea to let the Yankee stadium sign go especially bc Rutgers immed snapped it up to put their sign in same spot
I liked it too but there were so many here sniping about it. First, my take is that it was about New York State and not just NYC but many connected New York to NYC only and whined about it. Maybe they should have said "New York State's College Team".

In any case, as long as they replace it with something effective that attracts the entire state (incl. NYC), cancelling it is not a big deal to me.

Pride...one of those 7 deadly.

I liked it too but there were so many here sniping about it. First, my take is that it was about New York State and not just NYC but many connected New York to NYC only and whined about it. Maybe they should have said "New York State's College Team".

In any case, as long as they replace it with something effective that attracts the entire state (incl. NYC), cancelling it is not a big deal to me.

Fascinating how much of a lightning rod that campaign seemed to be here. Responses ranging from "It was good" to 'mixed bag" to "terrible"

Fascinating how much of a lightning rod that campaign seemed to be here. Responses ranging from "It was good" to 'mixed bag" to "terrible"

Bet there's a big overlap between people who didn't like Gross and people who criticize the ad campaign. I'm mixed on the former but very positive on the latter.

It was a way to try to gain back all the momentum that Rutgers and UConn had built up, pumping money into their programs while SU sat back and watched it happen.

I won't say whether or not it was the best use of resources, I'm not qualified to do so. But I did understand why he was doing it. Rutgers and UConn were becoming a threat to our football survival.

Thankfully each hit their peak, and have since returned to where college football expects them.

Clever slogan...foolish campaign.

Aside from alumni and a handful of other fans, NYC couldn't care less about Syracuse.
It barely cares about St. John's even if they have a good year.
New York is not a college sports town except come tournament time...when the whole country falls into March madness.

The slogan would have had more impact if and when used during games on national TV.
It might have created a bigger image for SU in the minds of people outside the area.

I for one would like to see the university growing physically in NYC, especially with interest in research and medical colleges. NYU med makes enough in grants and patent rights to grant free tuition for students. Cornell has their substantial med school and now a third “tech research and entrepreneurship” campus also in NYC. For further comparison look at Northwestern’s med school in Chicago. I know Carnegie Mellon is considering a NYC move. Stanford tried to outbid Cornell for the tech site. MIT has done incredible things, not just building Cambridge, but also building large research facilities in China. Our research triangle friends have huge downtown med campuses that are fairly removed from the main campus. Clemson has a campus just north of Charleston, SC. We’re behind on this kind of expansion. I get we don’t have the cash on hand, but I hope someone is thinking about how to make this sort of thing happen.

Clever slogan...foolish campaign.

Aside from alumni and a handful of other fans, NYC couldn't care less about Syracuse.
It barely cares about St. John's even if they have a good year.
New York is not a college sports town except come tournament time...when the whole country falls into March madness.

The slogan would have had more impact if and when used during games on national TV.
It might have created a bigger image for SU in the minds of people outside the area.
It has. And that was the purpose of it, since we recruit NYC, PA, NJ, Michigan, Florida, Georgia, NC, etc..

Jokes about this past weekend aside, does anyone know what the back story is behind the decision to nuke the campaign? Assuming focus groups showed there wasnt enough penetration to merit the continued spending, but curious if anyone knows the specifics of the when and why it was decided to end it?
Actually, it does appear the campaign is alive and well. During the Colgate hoops game last night you could clearly see the slogan on the facade inside the dome
I’m assuming the OP and all of us were referring to the slogan no longer being visible at Yankee stadium , but it was clearly flying in the dome

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. The fact that people were talking about Syracuse, good or bad during that time period was great for us.

Will be fun to bring it back in a few years. Right call to shelf it for the time being but it was damn good marketing. I loved Gross post Grob.

I always liked the oldie 'Progress is our most important product'.

Did you read this? Some GE mentions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...34a2b33be52_story.html?utm_term=.058e7370441d

Including his Fab Melo shenanigans?

We messed up but the crime was keeping an ESL student who was only here to play basketball and prep for the NBA eligible.

My hatred is reserved for the crooked refs who were instructed to make sure we lost to OSU that year not anyone in the SUAD.

Our fan support was fabulous last week in NYC shame we didn't play better.

It was a good idea. I believe the AD is focusing more of their current efforts on closer locales, meaning Rochester, Utica, Albany, etc.
Well they should run some busses from said locales.

I’m amazed about how many SU fans are here in Florida. And it’s still not snowbird season yet.
Met the center from the 11-0-1 season. He saw me walking down the street wearing a SU hat. He stopped his truck said LGO introduced himself and was very elated to see an orange fan here in Bradenton a Florida. He told me he went to coach Mac funeral and the members of that team are still very connected