Why didn't we recruit Shabez Muhammid? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why didn't we recruit Shabez Muhammid?

I was always up to no good at Inglewood, not Crenshaw.

He's referring to Stephen Thompson.

You're right, and with the gap between him and Hart, we're past due for another player from LA. I'm not familiar with their recruiting stories. Was it that they sought out Syracuse and didn't need to be recruited or what? I'm not that familiar with the process, so I'm just curious about these exceptions and wonder when the next one will come along.

You're right, and with the gap between him and Hart, we're past due for another player from LA. I'm not familiar with their recruiting stories. Was it that they sought out Syracuse and didn't need to be recruited or what? I'm not that familiar with the process, so I'm just curious about these exceptions and wonder when the next one will come along.
We were after Katin Reinhardt from Mater Dei for a while

Many believe the proliferation of televised games leveled the playing field, so left coasters no longer needed to seek out east coast schools for exposure. In the 80's-early 90s, the Big East had a competitive advantage with its TV deals.

JB will tell you that they still have guys on the radar from the west coast and will invest time in recruiting them if/when they get the vibe that they want to play out east. Taylor King was one of those guys that expressed a desire to leave CA.

Actually we had a number of west coast guys in the late 80s early 90's. Jason Hart and Tony Bland came a bit later than that. I think we had a lot of national TV exposure and a huge bump in prestige with the Carrier Dome that helped us recruit nationally, along with a NC game appearance in '87.

Stevie Thompson
Mike Hopkins
Scott McCorkle
LeRon Ellis (although via Kentucky)
Earl Duncan
Erik Rogers
Richard Manning
Jason Hart
Tony Bland

Forum statistics

Threads
Members