Why do players like Josh Hart stay 4 years and we struggle to get 2 years for a bunch of players | Syracusefan.com

Why do players like Josh Hart stay 4 years and we struggle to get 2 years for a bunch of players

Alsacs

Living Legend
This kid is a Junior.

I watch Hart and I see a stud. This kid was the best player on Villanova and every preseason poll automatically has him returning.

6'5" with ridiculously good numbers averaging 15.6 PPG and was first team-all Big East. He is a prototype NBA 2 guard and yet why isn't he talked about?

Hart is more pro ready than a bunch of these players not just from Syracuse who go pro early and its assumed he stays why?

I watch Hart and I see a stud. This kid was the best player on Villanova and every preseason poll automatically has him returning.

6'5" with ridiculously good numbers averaging 15.6 PPG and was first team-all Big East. He is a prototype NBA 2 guard and yet why isn't he talked about?

Hart is more pro ready than a bunch of these players not just from Syracuse who go pro early and he stays why?
I hear you - but was he even on anyone's radar prior to his heroics of the past week? I don't think he's regarded as much of an NBA prospect - one of those great college players that doesn't really translate to the next level

The one thing I'll say is that we have PLENTY of program guys like Hart.

CJ Fair. Rak Christmas. Gbinije. Brandon Triche. Etc.

I agree that where we haven't gotten maximum benefit is from the one-and-done types we've had. Quality impact from Ennis, but he left a year earlier than expected and left us in a lurch last year. Virtually no impact from McCullough. An NIT year in Greene's lone season.

Hart is not a program player. He has improved big time every year. He was the 6th man of the year last year in the Big East.

He was part of the reason Dylan Ennis transferred to get him minutes.

This kid is considered an NBA prospect just not an elite one. He will be like Jimmy Butler, Wes Matthews or Jae Crowder. He will overachieve and then get paid in the NBA.

I am being 100% honest I would rather have Josh Hart than Malachi Richardson and I love Malachi.

Age isn't an issue for Hart and the kid has the tools, size, and defense I would like I were an NBA team.

First, he might be more academically-oriented than the average player. He went to the super-bookish Sidwell Friends School here in DC. If a player is disinterested in college classwork or not very good at it, this might hasten his departure.

Secondly, I can't remember Hart being that sought-after as a high school player. I think he was more of a project (as was Jenkins from Gonzaga who hit the winning shot.). So versus some SU players who come in assuming they will quickly be "in the league", Hart may be aware of just how far he has come as a player and how valuable another year of growth and experience might be.

Hart is not a program player. He has improved big time every year. He was the 6th man of the year last year in the Big East.

He was part of the reason Dylan Ennis transferred to get him minutes.

This kid is considered an NBA prospect just not an elite one. He will be like Jimmy Butler, Wes Matthews or Jae Crowder. He will overachieve and then get paid in the NBA.

I am being 100% honest I would rather have Josh Hart than Malachi Richardson and I love Malachi.

Age isn't an issue for Hart and the kid has the tools, size, and defense I would like I were an NBA team.

Agree to disagree--Hart is the epitome of a program guy if he plays all four years.

CJ Fair was a 1st team all american. Rak was second team. Hart ended up emerging as their best player this year. What's the difference?

First, he might be more academically-oriented than the average player. He went to the super-bookish Sidwell Friends School here in DC. If a player is disinterested in college classwork or not very good at it, this might hasten his departure.

Secondly, I can't remember Hart being that sought-after as a high school player. I think he was more of a project (as was Jenkins from Gonzaga who hit the winning shot.). So versus some SU players who come in assuming they will quickly be "in the league", Hart may be aware of just how far he has come as a player and how valuable another year of growth and experience might be.
Define a project?
The was a top 100 recruit. Not a top 50 recruit but a top 100.

Had offers from Arizona,UConn, Villanova Cincinnati, Miami, Memphis, Rutgers, Penn State, Clemson.

That isn't a project. I would say the kid is Nova's C.J. Fair. Except Fair explored going pro after his Junior year while Hart hasn't thus far and I would say Hart is slightly better than Fair because of his shooting ability.

Agree to disagree--Hart is the epitome of a program guy if he plays all four years.

CJ Fair was a 1st team all american. Rak was second team. Hart ended up emerging as their best player this year. What's the difference?
Hart isn't a tweener that is difference. The kid is a 6'5" SG with NBA talent. It is different to see these kids not explore the NBA as age is always brought up.

If Fair could have been a first round pick in 2013 he would have left. Fair smartly read the tea leafs if this is a weak SG class then Hart could be a first round pick. He is only 1 year older than Richardson and has more upside honestly IMO.

Define a project?
The was a top 100 recruit. Not a top 50 recruit but a top 100.

Had offers from Arizona,UConn, Villanova Cincinnati, Miami, Memphis, Rutgers, Penn State, Clemson.

That isn't a project. I would say the kid is Nova's C.J. Fair. Except Fair explored going pro after his Junior year while Hart hasn't thus far and I would say Hart is slightly better than Fair because of his shooting ability.

All I know is that Georgetown --- which is located a few blocks from the Sidwell Friends campus --- had little interest in him. And that Maryland and Virginia, who both get a lot of local players weren't interested in him.

So when the teams close to him weren't interested, I wonder how "real" those supposed offers from across the country were.

I think the difference is that Hart is a more complete player as an underclassman than anyone we've had return since Hakim (an argument could be made for Triche, but he was never really a pro prospect). Christmas was great, but he was off nearly everyone's radar, had a weird career here.

All I know is that Georgetown --- which is located a few blocks from the Sidwell Friends campus --- had little interest in him. And that Maryland and Virginia, who both get a lot of local players weren't interested in him.

So when the teams close to him weren't interested, I wonder how "real" those supposed offers from across the country were.
Did Maryland/Georgetown recruit C.J. Fair?

I know Louisville wanted Fair badly. That doesn't answer your question, but thats all I know. :noidea:

It all depends on NBA scouts. He's not going in the lottery and his numbers really don't jump off the page and smack you in the face. He's a good 3 point shooter, not elite. He averaged 15 ppg in a conference that's not a mid major but not a power conference either. He's doing this as a junior. Prior to this season, nobody would have picked him in the first round, if he got drafted at all. Now, he'd probably go late first round, mid first round at best. In that range, a lot of outside factors impact a player's decision. Some have financial issues, some figure that's as good as it's going to get, some really just don't want to be in school anymore, etc. We've happened to have players leave for a variety of these reasons just like other schools have.

He had a great tournament run, but he's not exactly making NBA scouts drool. If he had done this as a freshman or sophomore, it would be a different story.

eh he (Hart) is just one of those "perfect" college players - good enough to take over games and lead his team but not quite having the skillset/upside to attract NBA attention as an underclassman. Malcolm Brogdon. Archidiacano. Nigel Hayes. Fred Van Vleet. Country is littered with them really.

Hart isn't a tweener that is difference. The kid is a 6'5" SG with NBA talent. It is different to see these kids not explore the NBA as age is always brought up.

If Fair could have been a first round pick in 2013 he would have left. Fair smartly read the tea leafs if this is a weak SG class then Hart could be a first round pick. He is only 1 year older than Richardson and has more upside honestly IMO.

I think you are vastly overrating Hart's pro potential.

Obviously, that's just my opinion [and you are expressing a different view of his NBA potetial--hard to say which of us is wrong].

I have no idea. But I know that Georgetown and Maryland depend on local talent. Georgetown is literally a few blocks from Sidwell Friends School.

Baltimore is kind of a different world. Neither school has done that well in Baltimore.

Gonzaga High School --- where Jenkins went --- is as close as it gets to being a feeder school to Georgetown. JT III went to Gonzaga.

CJ Fair was a 1st team all american.
Rak was second team. Hart ended up emerging as their best player this year. What's the difference?

I had to check because this surprised me; Fair was consensus second team. Rak made a couple of third teams.

I do agree with you on Hart. He is a heck of a college player but not sure what kind of pro he turns into.

Not sure if it was intentional, but it was funny that you picked these three guys

I have no idea. But I know that Georgetown and Maryland depend on local talent. Georgetown is literally a few blocks from Sidwell Friends School.

Baltimore is kind of a different world. Neither school has done that well in Baltimore.

Gonzaga High School --- where Jenkins went --- is as close as it gets to being a feeder school to Georgetown. JT III went to Gonzaga.
I would not consider either GTown or UMd recruiting to be covered in glory today. Jenkins, Hart, Booth, the 3 Nova stars last night (sorry Archie) are all suburban Maryland kids. But I know you knew that.

I think you are vastly overrating Hart's pro potential.

Obviously, that's just my opinion [and you are expressing a different view of his NBA potetial--hard to say which of us is wrong].
I don't know about NBA potential, but Hart is no recent flash in the pan. The coaches in the Big East considered him the best player on the Nova squad last season ('14-'15). And, he has been generally underrated the past couple of years.

hart hit the 3 against us last year that started their comeback from 5 down with 10 seconds left or whatever to force ot :eek:

Hoya grad, class of 1978 here. A couple of points here.

1. While Gonzaga sends a goodly number of graduates to Georgetown annually, GU hasn't successfully recruited a Gonzaga basketball player since JT3 became head coach. Hard to consider Gonzaga a basketball feeder school in that context.

2. As for Josh Hart, there has been incessant hand-wringing for the past two seasons on the HoyaTalk website about GU's failure to recruit him; Hart made no secret of his desire to go to Georgetown while in high school. In actuality, GU recruited Hart, but then backed off on him due to academic concerns (ironic given Sidwell Friends's academic reputation). I have no information as to whether GU recruited C.J. Fair; if we did, we sure weren't successful.

You guys had a nice run. Enjoy it. See you at the Dome next season.

lol at some people apparently thinking Hart is just perfect for the NBA.

We have awful luck for starters, and we recruit kids who clearly care more about the Nba, than they do winning national titles.