Why do we even play UConn? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why do we even play UConn?

It is what it is. We should beat these guys consistently enough (Georgetown too) where it becomes a non-rivalry for anyone below a certain age. We clearly have bigger fish to fry come the new year in the ACC.

I personally don't like games where we are the team circled on the opponent's schedule but whatever. Felt like watching a 5-12 game where the 5 didn't show up and the coach for 12 was gonna pass out.

San Francisco, CCNY, and Wyoming have National Titles too. Things change. I hope we stop playing them so they die a faster death.

I hate UConn as much as anyone, but are titles in the 40s and 50s the same as titles in 2014 which was also the last season we weren’t a bubble team?

And none of those programs physically dominated us 12 hours ago.

It is what it is. We should beat these guys consistently enough (Georgetown too) where it becomes a non-rivalry for anyone below a certain age. We clearly have bigger fish to fry come the new year in the ACC.

I personally don't like games where we are the team circled on the opponent's schedule but whatever. Felt like watching a 5-12 game where the 5 didn't show up and the coach for 12 was gonna pass out.

Yes. Basically the Wichita St and Drexel games of a decade ago, where we often questioned the value of playing those types of teams. More downside than upside, IMO.

We should only play teams who aren’t “up” for us.

Or maybe we should figure out a way to motivate ourselves appropriately for teams.

This thread is the epitome of butthurt.

We should only play teams who aren’t “up” for us.

Or maybe we should figure out a way to motivate ourselves appropriately for teams.

After a game like last night, the only question should be “what do we need to do differently in order to beat our rival?”

After a game like last night, the only question should be “what do we need to do differently in order to beat our rival?”

Well, a big difference between last year’s game and this year’s game was Matt Moyer’s scoring...

Sports can be weird.

I hate UConn as much as anyone, but are titles in the 40s and 50s the same as titles in 2014 which was also the last season we weren’t a bubble team?

And none of those programs physically dominated us 12 hours ago.

Yep and the longer time goes by they could die to and I hope they do.

4 championships in the last 20 years. don't judge. respect it.

It's not a rivalry to the players. The guys on our team were 13 or 14 years old when UConn was a rival. Same with Georgetown.

The only people who think its a rival is to fans like me who are in our mid 30's or older. The same could be said for Georgetown.

I'd rather scrap these games and go to Maui/Atlantis/Charleston or some other s e x y early tournament in November.

It's not a rivalry to the players. The guys on our team were 13 or 14 years old when UConn was a rival. Same with Georgetown.

The only people who think its a rival is to fans like me who are in our mid 30's or older. The same could be said for Georgetown.

I'd rather scrap these games and go to Maui/Atlantis/Charleston or some other s e x y early tournament in November.

If we went to Maui though we might have to play Chaminade and we can’t play teams that are too UP for us.

as i noted above you don't get to pick your opponent in tourney games.

You really think they aren’t a rival? It’s possible I guess but we’re battling UConn down to the wire for recruits like Carey, Akok, etc. I would think the players know it’s a big game but maybe you’re right.

You really think they aren’t a rival? It’s possible I guess but we’re battling UConn down to the wire for recruits like Carey, Akok, etc. I would think the players know it’s a big game but maybe you’re right.

Carey is the only guy on our current roster that I believe was even recruited by UConn. Not sure of the others.

No excuses for last nights result, but this definately is a dying rivalry.

When we play UVa, UL and Duke we can answer that.

Remind me how many national championships they have compared to SU.

Do you honestly think they will ever win another?
San Francisco and Cincinnati both won back-to-back NCAA titles way back when.
Where are they today?

Or play somebody from OOC who is not that familiar with our zone.
Play a Big 12 or Big 10 team. They can never figure out our defense, any of them.

Or play somebody from OOC who is not that familiar with our zone.
Play a Big 12 team. They can never figure out our defense, any of them.

We'll find out at the awful tip time of 4:30...

Do you honestly think they will ever win another?
San Francisco and Cincinnati both won back-to-back NCAA titles way back when.
Where are they today?

Cincy was a 2 seed last year and has went to the past eight tournaments.

Cincy was a 2 seed last year and has went to the past eight tournaments.

When was the last time they made a Final Four, when they had Kenyon Martin about 25 years ago?

Eh, we should beat them...with Frank we likely beat them. It's rather unfortunate he's out. :(
Well, a big difference between last year’s game and this year’s game was Matt Moyer’s scoring...

Sports can be weird.

Thanks for the reminder, that made me smile! One of the more legendary Orange performances in a long time, in my opinion.

He's now on the #5 rpi team in the nation.

Stop trying to group UConn with Nova. Different scenarios there.

2011, was still the real Big East, and 2014 was just one year after so they still had players.
should we have played Oregon today? St Bonaventure this year? Northeastern & Buffalo this year? We are going to be their biggest game of the year.

Look, UCONN has a strong infrastructure in place and a hot young coach with strong ties to the northeast (where many of our recruits come from). Not saying they will win 2 in 3 years but they will be recruiting many of the same players as we do and they will be improving as Hurley builds a program. Why should we be afraid of playing them? Neutral court in a large recruiting area should be a good thing. We could run in to them in other early season tournaments,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom