Why do we not play UB in Football? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why do we not play UB in Football?

How long has Albany been D1 in football? I seem to remember Ithaca playing them when I was there in the late 80’s.

"awake a sleeping giant?"

"afraid they might beat us?"

Folks, we beat Clemson this year and almost won on the road at LSU, FSU and Miami.

Good grief.

"awake a sleeping giant?"

"afraid they might beat us?"

Folks, we beat Clemson this year and almost won on the road at LSU, FSU and Miami.

Good grief.
We lost to MTSU. Im not disagreeing with you but it did happen, aNd would have been much worse if it were an in-state slip up

Even Gerg beat UB.

Having a regional MAC team on the schedule filling one of our non-conf games is a pretty good idea. Especially one we should win 19 out of 20 times.

I'd much rather play UB and get exposure in WNY than play against Middle Tennessee State.

We lost to MTSU. Im not disagreeing with you but it did happen, aNd would have been much worse if it were an in-state slip up

You're digging for something that isn't there...

Syracuse is not afraid of playing Buffalo FFS.

I would be open to playing them occasionally but would be in addition to the yearly fcs bodybag game not replacing
There you go. 1AA, Albany/buffalo, army, low/mid p5. The travel costs would be sweet.

I suppose folks would complain about not playing enough in alumni/recruiting areas.

Even Gerg beat UB.

Having a regional MAC team on the schedule filling one of our non-conf games is a pretty good idea. Especially one we should win 19 out of 20 times.

I'd much rather play UB and get exposure in WNY than play against Middle Tennessee State.
People in Buffalo really don't care about college football.

People in Buffalo really don't care about college football.

The WNY region has 5-10 D1 caliber athletes per year. If it puts us in a better position to get those players we want than Rutgers, Pitt, and PSU then it's a good investment. It's also better for fans than going to Kalamazoo, Mount Pleasant, Lynchburg, and Murfreesboro.

You're digging for something that isn't there...

Syracuse is not afraid of playing Buffalo FFS.
When did i say syracuse is afraid?

The WNY region has 5-10 D1 caliber athletes per year. If it puts us in a better position to get those players we want than Rutgers, Pitt, and PSU then it's a good investment. It's also better for fans than going to Kalamazoo, Mount Pleasant, Lynchburg, and Murfreesboro.
It’s not just WNY athletes this would open up for us. Northern Pa, Southern Ontario and Northern Ohio as well if we so choose to take advantage

Even Gerg beat UB.

1000 times

Recruiting is about the only positive. (And if we can’t get a kid we want out of the area, we have other problems). Other than that I’m not sure a case can be made to play them over any other MAC team.

I don’t think we’re afraid of them - just think they don’t offer anything other than name recognition.

My guess is that UB wants a 1-1, and we want a 0-1. Central Conn. will give us a 0-1, but UB won't, so we play them.

Recruiting is about the only positive. (And if we can’t get a kid we want out of the area, we have other problems). Other than that I’m not sure a case can be made to play them over any other MAC team.

I don’t think we’re afraid of them - just think they don’t offer anything other than name recognition.
Unfortunately Pittsburgh seems to have equal or greater success in that recruiting territory. Would be nice to lock it down, especially if a PSU/ND level talent arises.

I could see UB going onto our schedule moving forward. MAC team, fans can get to away games, minimal costs.

My guess is that UB wants a 1-1, and we want a 0-1. Central Conn. will give us a 0-1, but UB won't, so we play them.

Central Conn. is an FCS school. They have no choice but to give us a 0-1. WMU got a 1-1. Army got a 2-2. Liberty got a 2-1. There's no reason we couldn't schedule a 1-1 with UB or at least a 2-1.

Buffalo has a good airport for out of towners, it's a 2+ hour drive for CNY fans, and it has a lot more going on than your typical college town for the family. You might even be able to do a 2 for 1 and catch a Bills game the next day!

I'd rather be in Buffalo for a game and fun night on the town than Ypsilanti, MI, or Muncie, IN.

Last edited:
Buffalo has a good airport for out of towners, it's a 2+ hour drive for CNY fans, and it has a lot more going on than your typical college town for the family. You might even be able to do a 2 for 1 and catch a Bills game the next day!

I'd rather be in Buffalo for a game and fun night on the town than Ypsilanti, MI, or Muncie, IN.
I'd rather go to Tampa.

Central Conn. is an FCS school. They have no choice but to give us a 0-1. WMU got a 1-1. Army got a 2-2. Liberty got a 2-1. There's no reason we couldn't schedule a 1-1 with UB or at least a 2-1.
Central Conn being fcs is irrelevant. We still needed a 0-1, and they gave it to us.

And we can't consistently go 1-1 w/ UB because it would cost us home games/revenue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom