Why do we not play UB in Football? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why do we not play UB in Football?

Central Conn being fcs is irrelevant. We still needed a 0-1, and they gave it to us.

And we can't consistently go 1-1 w/ UB because it would cost us home games/revenue.

FCS schools are only giving 0-1s. In exchange for that, they get a hefty payday. We already play at least one road game in the OOC every year (we play two each of the next two years), so the argument about costing us home game revenue is bunk. We've played a number of road games against non-P5 teams in the past decade (including MAC teams), so I'm not sure how this is any different. The only legitimate explanations for not scheduling home and homes (or 2-1s) with UB is because we would either rather play road games in different areas that could be helpful for recruiting, or we don't want to in any way help prop up UB's football program by giving it added attention.

2-1 with Georgia State

FCS schools are only giving 0-1s. In exchange for that, they get a hefty payday. We already play at least one road game in the OOC every year (we play two each of the next two years), so the argument about costing us home game revenue is bunk. We've played a number of road games against non-P5 teams in the past decade (including MAC teams), so I'm not sure how this is any different. The only legitimate explanations for not scheduling home and homes (or 2-1s) with UB is because we would either rather play road games in different areas that could be helpful for recruiting, or we don't want to in any way help prop up UB's football program by giving it added attention.
Once again, whether CCU is fcs, FBS, or in the NFL isn't relevant. They offered a 0-1, and I doubt that UB did.

There absolutely is a reason why we can't consistently (or probably ever - I can't remember the terms of our last UB deal) give UB 1-1's. That reason is $$$$$.

It's not worth the lost home game (or part thereof). And FWIW, that's probably the same reason why they probably don't want to give us 2-1 deals.

Once again, whether CCU is fcs, FBS, or in the NFL isn't relevant. They offered a 0-1, and I doubt that UB did.

There absolutely is a reason why we can't consistently (or probably ever - I can't remember the terms of our last UB deal) give UB 1-1's. That reason is $$$$$.

It's not worth the lost home game (or part thereof). And FWIW, that's probably the same reason why they probably don't want to give us 2-1 deals.

I don't know why you keep talking about Central Connecticut. It's entirely irrelevant to the discussion. I don't care about CCSU or any other FCS team. They have almost zero effect on the rest of our OOC scheduling each year. You also keep talking about lost revenue, yet we play at least one OOC road game every year. Where is the lost revenue compared to every other schedule that we play every year???

I don't know why you keep talking about Central Connecticut. It's entirely irrelevant to the discussion. I don't care about CCSU or any other FCS team. They have almost zero effect on the rest of our OOC scheduling each year. You also keep talking about lost revenue, yet we play at least one OOC road game every year. Where is the lost revenue compared to every other schedule that we play every year???
So UB = LSU? (our one road OOC game this year)

There's probably about a 30k attendance differential (cheeks in seats) + higher ticket prices (guess) for when we hosted LSU vs when we last hosted UB. That's the lost revenue.

And I keep bringing up CC because you (or some other equally out of touch poster) asked why we played them and not UB.

The answer is 0-1 is better than what UB offered.

So UB = LSU? (our one road OOC game this year)

That's quite the cherry pick. We play at Western Michigan next year. We play at Liberty in 2019 (and at Maryland). We play at Army in 2024 and 2026. We played at Miami (OH) in 2007, at Akron in 2010, at Tulane in 2011, at Central Michigan in 2014, at USF in 2015 and at UCONN in 2016. So, in the past 11 years, we have played road OOC games against non-P5 teams in 6 of those years, and have two more scheduled in the next 2 years.

That's quite the cherry pick. We play at Western Michigan next year. We play at Liberty in 2019 (and at Maryland). We play at Army in 2024 and 2026. We played at Miami (OH) in 2007, at Akron in 2010, at Tulane in 2011, at Central Michigan in 2014, at USF in 2015 and at UCONN in 2016. So, in the past 11 years, we have played road OOC games against non-P5 teams in 6 of those years, and have two more scheduled in the next 2 years.
A lot of the games you listed are 2-1 deals...

Akron 2-1
WMU 2-1 (I'm 90% sure)
Liberty 2-1
Tulane 2-1

UConn, USF, and Army are special for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
A lot of the games you listed are 2-1 deals...

Akron 2-1
WMU 2-1 (I'm 90% sure)
Liberty 2-1
Tulane 2-1

UConn, USF, and Army are special for obvious reasons.
Wrong on WMU and Tulane.
CMU was 2-1,WMU is 1-1.
Tulane was 1-1.

302-Animal-House-quotes.gif

Wrong on WMU and Tulane.
CMU was 2-1,WMU is 1-1.
Tulane was 1-1.

Now all we need to do is schedule UMass, and the entire board will be singing Kumbaya. ;)
Lance Liepold and UB are going to take over the top spot in the MAC. I'm sure people like Jack Welsh have UMASS on tract to go to the B1G, unless Swofford does something soon.

Great question. Probably the same reason why we haven't scheduled UAlbany as our FCS. We are lost when it comes to OOC scheduling. UB is the perfect OOC team, as UAlbany is for an FBS.
Colgate IMHO is a better FBS schedule mate than Albany.

We are waaay late to that party as they should be on the schedule every 2-3 years. We were too enamored with colgate.
Colgate's football program is better than Albany's. When they win 2 road playoff games the Great Danes can bark ha.

Colgate IMHO is a better FBS schedule mate than Albany.

Debatable at best. Albany plays in the best FCS conference in the country. We have seen the Colgate show over and over.

I’d rather see us play an Ohio mac school or conference USA, personally

I lived there for about 2 1/2 years. I know what Buffalo is like.
Playing at UB is good for CNY fans...it is a long day but you can drive over and back the same day. Easy drive/Easy Stadium/Easy opponent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom