Why do we not see anything different on offense | Syracusefan.com

Why do we not see anything different on offense

Alsacs

Living Legend
We have shot makers on this team but our offensive philosophy is so basic its unbelievable.

Why do we not make adjustments. Coach does a good job breaking down on offense. We shouldn't need NBA PGs to have an effective offense. Louisville had a textbook gameplan on how to shutdown a Boeheim offense.
1. Give effort.
2. Switch every ball screen.
3. Face guard everyone.

Our offense didn't move ball we had 7 assists the entire game. That is pathetic. 20 made baskets and 7 assists. I mean that just tells you all you need to know. 7 assists 16 turnovers -9.

We can make shots but our offense is so basic. I am an expert at breaking it down if I person without a high basketball IQ can break it down these coaches can do the same.

We have shot makers on this team but our offensive philosophy is so basic its unbelievable.

Why do we not make adjustments. Coach does a good job breaking down on offense. We shouldn't need NBA PGs to have an effective offense. Louisville had a textbook gameplan on how to shutdown a Boeheim offense.
1. Give effort.
3. Face guard everyone.

Our offense didn't move ball we had 7 assists the entire game. That is pathetic. 20 made baskets and 7 assists. I mean that just tells you all you need to know. 7 assists 16 turnovers -9.

We can make shots but our offense is so basic. I am an expert at breaking it down if I person without a high basketball IQ can break it down these coaches can do the same.

Yup, that's Jimmy's offense. Lack of motion and screening. It's clear out 1 in 1 dribble drives or taking any open 3 inside 25 ft.

1. Give effort.
3. Face guard everyone.

7 assists is pathetic. It is clear by JBs consistent comments that he strongly values aggressively driving the ball. I cant disagree with that philosophy! But what im not sure the players realize, not every single drive into the lane has to result in a shot. It can also result in a pass to a wide open player once the driver has attracted the D! Popovich , Golden state, Lebron etc have proven this over and over...

I think sometimes JB thinks he has better talent than what is actually on the floor. I don't think that enough players have the ability/skills to run that sort of offense...basically just beat your guy 1-on-1 and make a play. Sometimes you have to outscheme. It is how the Creightons, Xaviers, Butlers, etc. have all been very successful this past decade.

1. Give effort.
3. Face guard everyone.

Like the last Louisville game, our guards weren't aggressive enough. There were some good drives in the second half but it was too late by then. Battle and Gillon have to put more pressure on the d.

Furthermore, if they take away AW's threes, he needs to drive and cut. Iirc, he did this once from the corner and drew a foul.

And our bigs, it's not like Louisville frontcourt has an amazing post up game. Their guards were aggressive and the bigs were constantly moving, catching, and going right at the rim with zero hesitation. They seemed faster and more athletic, and smarter I guess. We had some open looks that we passed up and plenty of opportunities to attack the rim and instead went away from the basket.

Like the last Louisville game, our guards weren't aggressive enough. There were some good drives in the second half but it was too late by then. Battle and Gillon have to put more pressure on the d.

Furthermore, if they take away AW's threes, he needs to drive and cut. Iirc, he did this once from the corner and drew a foul.

And our bigs, it's not like Louisville frontcourt has an amazing post up game. Their guards were aggressive and the bigs were constantly moving, catching, and going right at the rim with zero hesitation. They seemed faster and more athletic, and smarter I guess. We had some open looks that we passed up and plenty of opportunities to attack the rim and instead went away from the basket.
I agree w you and this is more or less what JB said in presser. But its still murky. Ie he said we drove better and were more aggressive in second half. Hes right! But what he leaves out- we were still outscored by ul in the second half. Driving aggressively may answer a lot but i really think it goes beyong that. Its obviously a larger execution issue imo. I think they still have the potential to improve! Go Cuse!

We play 7 guys, one of which can't do anything, and another one of which can't shoot at all.

You can only mix and match the other 5 so many ways.
This doesn't work. We can have short bench and rotation and actually do things on offense. Our game plan is the same. We haven't changed the offensive philosophy for years. Steve Lappis said it correctly JB does things his way and says stop me. That works when you have the right personnel. We haven't had the proper personnel since 2013. We should change things up and be flexible.

This doesn't work. We can have short bench and rotation and actually do things on offense. Our game plan is the same. We haven't changed the offensive philosophy for years. Steve Lappis said it correctly JB does things his way and says stop me. That works when you have the right personnel. We haven't had the proper personnel since 2013. We should change things up and be flexible.
Well, that guy has a rat face.

JB has never been a good coach on offense.

I sat behind the basket today with a good view of both schemes.

Just amazing how much crisper and involved UL's schemes were, while we had Gillon pound the rock for 10 seconds every possrssion that someone didn't launch an early ugly shot.

We don't swing the ball. We don't move the ball.

Did UL also have more talent and more players? Sure.

That all adds up to the result we got.

Yes, agree, and passing is coaching in the half court.

Passing is a skill. I'm sure if Boeheim could push a button to make the players do what he wants, we'd be a better passing team.

Just amazing how much crisper and involved UL's schemes were, while we had Gillon pound the rock for 10 seconds every possrssion that someone didn't launch an early ugly shot.

That's brutal dose of reality. Stuff lots of people choose not to hear or accept.

same as it ever was

giphy.gif

Passing is a skill. I'm sure if Boeheim could push a button to make the players do what he wants, we'd be a better passing team.

Passing is also taught. Huge component to teaching.

Passing is also taught. Huge component to teaching.

Uh huh. Two fifth year seniors that played at 3 colleges. But it's Boeheim's fault they are subpar passers. Same with the freshmen.

I have been watching a ton of our games from the 1990 season. We didn't have PG on that team but our offense scheme was amazing. JB coached offense in the 1980s and 1990s.

Our offense has been deteriorating since we have emphasized the zone D and just started running NBA iso offense.

Uh huh. Two fifth year seniors that played at 3 colleges. But it's Boeheim's fault they are subpar passers. Same with the freshmen.

Not sure why a program of our caliber needs to sign fifth year senior??? Really? We are better than that. The fb program while rebounding uses that strategy to rebuild. But, why the hoops team? I have been all over our recruiting. When you look around the country, we are getting killed in recruiting. If you don't have 2 frosh that can contribute, then you are behind. Look at iowa and what fran is doing. Yes, they will take a hit this year, but, they are set for 3 years with the studs they recruited.

I have been watching a ton of our games from the 1990 season. We didn't have PG on that team but our offense scheme was amazing. JB coached offense in the 1980s and 1990s.

Our offense has been deteriorating since we have emphasized the zone D and just started running NBA iso offense.

We also had two of the best players in the country though. Forwards that handled and passed the ball like guards and went #1 and #3 in the draft.

Not sure why a program of our caliber needs to sign fifth year senior??? Really? We are better than that. The fb program while rebounding uses that strategy to rebuild. But, why the hoops team? I have been all over our recruiting. When you look around the country, we are getting killed in recruiting. If you don't have 2 frosh that can contribute, then you are behind. Look at iowa and what fran is doing. Yes, they will take a hit this year, but, they are set for 3 years with the studs they recruited.

Probation. Fewer scholarships. Caused transfers to start the penalties earlier. Couldn't build any roster depth. Malachi went pro. Kaleb Joseph wasn't what we hoped.

We also had two of the best players in the country though. Forwards that handled and passed the ball like guards and went #1 and #3 in the draft.
We don't run anything close to the 1990s offense. Those teams ran and had motion. We don't move without the ball. Its all 1 on 1 these last 5 years.

Gillon isn't bad at passing. Lydon isn't bad at passing. Thompson and Battle can pass.
White can't and Roberson can't. Howard can't.

We have talent. Our offensive system is lazy.

For guards, Gillon and Battle are mediocre passers at best. Lydon isn't good at passing either. He's mediocre. Thompson doesn't pass.

Not sure there is one guy that's an above average passer for his position. Everyone is either mediocre or bad.

We have shooters. We don't have well rounded players. Lots of holes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom