Why do we not see anything different on offense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why do we not see anything different on offense

Probation. Fewer scholarships. Caused transfers to start the penalties earlier. Couldn't build any roster depth. Malachi went pro. Kaleb Joseph wasn't what we hoped.

Agree, we have had plenty of guys leave prematurely the last 2-3 years. Educate me , what is our schollie situation?

We don't run anything close to the 1990s offense. Those teams ran and had motion. We don't move without the ball. Its all 1 on 1 these last 5 years.

It's easier to run more stuff on offense when you have more talented offensive players.

It's easier to run more stuff on offense when you have more talented offensive players.
We have enough talent to run a competent offense. I think JB cares more about the D than he does worrying about the O.

We have enough talent to run a competent offense. I think JB cares more about the D than he does worrying about the O.

We are second in the league in 3's made. 4th in the league in 3 point %.

9th in scoring. Tied for 3rd in assists per game.(that one surprised me but when the 3's are falling, you can rack up assists).

We're not some horrid offensive team. We can shoot. Just not many well rounded guys and a lot of guys who never played together before this year.

Gillon isn't bad at passing. Lydon isn't bad at passing. Thompson and Battle can pass.
White can't and Roberson can't. Howard can't.

We have talent. Our offensive system is lazy.
Battle admitted as much:

"You have to attack their defense and get to the paint,'' Battle said. "Once you get to the paint, all five of them converge. That should lead to kick-outs, but we didn't do that enough.''

Just have to execute

Battle admitted as much:

"You have to attack their defense and get to the paint,'' Battle said. "Once you get to the paint, all five of them converge. That should lead to kick-outs, but we didn't do that enough.''

Just have to execute

Exactly right. The team did not execute at all. When they did they had open shots and missed them. We will lose if we can't hit from the outside.

Agree, we have had plenty of guys leave prematurely the last 2-3 years. Educate me , what is our schollie situation?

there have been many posts on this in the past. take a little time and educuate yourself and you will see. Scholarship situation and roster limitations have really hurt us. if you can't see then then its you who is being lazy

there have been many posts on this in the past. take a little time and educuate yourself and you will see. Scholarship situation and roster limitations have really hurt us. if you can't see then then its you who is being lazy

Ok, whatever, was trying to be nice,but even with schollie limits, we are still sucking in recruiting. If you can sign a 5th year senior, you can sign a stud frosh. A schollie is a schollie. Jimmy has been lacking the last 3-5 years. Give me a break. Look at the way UCLA, ZONA, XAVIER, CINNCY, ND, ETC have recruited. I could name like 10-15 more schools. JB isnt getting it done and hop isnt the answer after.

Ok, whatever, was trying to be nice,but even with schollie limits, we are still sucking in recruiting. If you can sign a 5th year senior, you can sign a stud frosh. A schollie is a schollie. Jimmy has been lacking the last 3-5 years. Give me a break. Look at the way UCLA, ZONA, XAVIER, CINNCY, ND, ETC have recruited. I could name like 10-15 more schools. JB isnt getting it done and hop isnt the answer after.

4 first round NBA draft picks (so far) in the last 5 recruiting classes, not including Tyler Lydon. Battle, Thompson and Moyer comprise a solid recruiting class. There have been recruiting misses, but it's not the total disaster that people seem to make it out to be. Obviously, the staff still has work to do on the recruiting trail.

And Hop "isn't the answer" for what? Recruiting? You can't be serious.

#hottake

JB has never been a good coach on offense.

I sat behind the basket today with a good view of both schemes.

Just amazing how much crisper and involved UL's schemes were, while we had Gillon pound the rock for 10 seconds every possrssion that someone didn't launch an early ugly shot.

We don't swing the ball. We don't move the ball.

Did UL also have more talent and more players? Sure.

That all adds up to the result we got.
Am I the only one not blown away by Villes talent? I don't see them amongst the elite.

We don't run anything close to the 1990s offense. Those teams ran and had motion. We don't move without the ball. Its all 1 on 1 these last 5 years.
We had about 50 open looks tha we missed...

It's his signature.

We had about 50 open looks tha we missed...
We did not have "50" open looks today. I get your exaggerating on purpose but we didn't miss open shots. UL shut our offense completely down.
White and Lydon had a couple of open shots but UL stuck to our players like glue on offense. They switched everything. They killed White and Gillon first half. Our whole offense was Battle first half.

We don't move the ball. We had 7 assists today. That is indicative of terrible offense.

Am I the only one not blown away by Villes talent? I don't see them amongst the elite.
They remind me roughly of UVa last year. Ie had a chance to be (were borderline) elite but came up a little short. We ll see

The roster was constructed by this staff.

Yup. I think they did the best they could with this roster given the circumstances. Probation and a couple recruiting misses in previous classes put them in a tough spot.

Yup. I think they did the best they could with this roster given the circumstances. Probation and a couple recruiting misses in previous classes put them in a tough spot.
I don't think they have done the best they could though.
We haven't used all available scholarships 4 of the last 5 years including the probation years.
In 2013 we only used 11 scholarships
In 2014 we only used 11 scholarships.
In 2015 we only used 11 scholarships
In 2016 we used all 10 scholarships.
This year we are using 10 of 11.

Not recruiting depth and kicking out 2 players for the benefit of the sanctions starting a year earlier on the staff/JB.

I have been watching a ton of our games from the 1990 season. We didn't have PG on that team but our offense scheme was amazing. JB coached offense in the 1980s and 1990s.

Our offense has been deteriorating since we have emphasized the zone D and just started running NBA iso offense.

I've been watching his offense since 1976.

I'd describe it as an opposing coach described it.

"Roll the ball out."

He has never been a good offensive coach.

Would love to see some pick and pops b/w the guards and Lydon. Not sure why we stopped that

I'm not sure we have one player that is a good passer. That limits what you can do.
I had Frank penciled in at 8 apg before the seson started...

I like their talent a lot. It has never been "elite" I guess in terms of comparing to Duke and UK lottery picks but I am always impressed with how many guys can contribute positively for them. Mitchell has really improved. Their bigs are solid and aren't stiffs. VERY good athletes those bigs and how they could defend up by the 3pt line helping out. Those aren't Chinos and Chukwus or even Bayes. Mahmoud oozes talent. Throw in Spalding and Mathiang who are solid and those are two 6'10 guys and a 7-footer. All coordinated and competent. Snider is solid. That Deng Adel can put it on the floor and shoot. VJ King is talented. Good players and well coached.

Ehhh the team isn't "absolutely awful" on the offensive side. They didn't execute well today and looked lazy. Passes were lazy, everything. They just looked dang tired and showed no effort today. This is also probably a little bit of a hangover from that epic Duke game that they played.

What they are absolutely awful on is rebounding. If they could get some offensive rebounds and pound the glass and not give up 2nd,3rd and sometimes even 4th chances they would have been in a lot more games this season.

Malachi leaving early killed CUSE in a sense and caused them to go after the 5th year seniors. I don't think many saw him bolting for the NBA after his first season until his play really blasted off at the end of the season.

Meh. I think you are off base here, Alsacs. We're not talking about a football playbook -- how many plays do you expect the team to have?

This might surprise people, but most teams only have a handful of plays, generally three or fewer. It is uncommon for teams to have more than that, although there are some exceptions where coaches that tend to overcoach and call sets every time down the court might have more. Bobby Knight used to just use ONE--a single play, think about that for a second.

You can make adjustments out of what you are trying to do, and we've seen numerous examples this season alone of JB tweaking something the team is trying to do offensively and the game unfolding differently after that. But at the end of the day it comes down to the capabilities of the players, not the number of plays you run. Non-issue, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom